Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2D Maglite Tri XM-L U2 1C **PIC HEAVY**

3be39185.jpg

I been planning this build for quite a while now, but never got around to actually building it til now. I got the idea for a triple XM-L from threads over at CPF and decided it would be a cool build to make. I originally planned on using a sandwiched AMC7135 driver to reach 3A and just adding a resistor inline to the switch to drop off the extra voltage so the drivers wouldn't heat up so much. Luckily, kaidomain had some new drivers on their website that would better suite my purposes. Thumbs up to Angelos for showing me those drivers!

Specs:

• Powered by 2 x 26650s
  • Battery sleeve by Jayrob
  • 3 x XM-L U2 1C bin @ Cutter Electronics
  • Buck/boost 5 modes: High, med, low, strobe, SOS @ kaidomain
  • 20 gauge silicone wire
  • Mode memory
  • UCL glass lens @ flashlightlens
  • LEDIL boom reflectors
Tail cap readings:
Freshly charged 2 x 26650s after 30 minute cool down.

High: 3.75 A
Med: 2.06 A
Low: 599 mA

Light output testing:
Testing was done in a dark room. Lumen output was done using the light box method. There is still a degree of error using this method so take it as an approximation.

• Light box lumens:
    • 1923 lm on high @ 1 sec
    • 1792 lm on high (stable)

• Ceiling light bounce test:
    • 212 lux on high

• Lux @ 1 meter:
    • 12000 lux on high
Flashlight pics:

LEDs wired in series
404a591c.jpg

9f481248.jpg

38908c76.jpg

2194cbbe.jpg

Beam shots:
I'll have some outdoor beam shots up soon! Hopefully these will suffice for now.
smile.png

These shots were taken about 7-8 feet away
3481ddae.jpg

87d39a6e.jpg

9870d188.jpg

Final thoughts:
Definitely bright! It's hard to tell from the pictures and in person, but it beats the DRY on high. The hot spot isn't as nicely focused using the LEDIL Boom reflectors, might do another build using the extra DRY driver I have and a triple head reflector like the DRY's. The 1C tint is pretty nice, but for some reason it shows up kinda greenish on some pics. Gotta love these Maglites! They're so moddable, they should be called Modlites!

Re: 2D Maglite Tri XM-L U2 1C

Nicely done! You might consider centering the LEDs a bit better before redoing the entire build.
What heatsink didja use?

Thanks! I got the heat sink from download @ CPF. The LEDs do center correctly, but when I screw on the head for the reflector it moves out of alignment a bit when it touches the UCL lens. I was thinking about putting some hot glue so it would stop moving since the adhesive on the reflectors aren't very good.

Here are some outdoor shots on the road to Mt. Hamilton! It just started sprinkling when I started taking these shots.

High (Sorry this was the first shot I took and didn't notice it was blurry)
db521337.jpg

Med
046f6efa.jpg

Low
a2008b4b.jpg

Front
32133c36.jpg

Last edited: