Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

1st Build plans

Well, I think I've settled on a plan for my first laser:

Gonna go with the LPC-815 diode, Aixiz housing, and this host (running on 10440):

Mini LED Keychain Flashlight (1*AAA) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Just like the $16 dollar build Fretwrecker94 posted about a while ago.

Also drawing up plans for a custom 450nm lab laser, but that's another story.

I'm going with this plan because the lpc-815 seems to be a tested and well liked diode, and because the LED driver can be used for the laser. I'd like to get into building my own driver on the blue labby, but for this "intro" project simpler is probably better. Also I like the look of these small hosts.

Thoughts? I'll post an update and pictures (assuming it works:thinking:) once it's done.

I have read that the driver in that light doesn't work well with LD's, it apparently kills them :(

You won't be able to run a LPC-815 of one Li-Ion with a LM317 driver, maybe consider another host?

You won't be able to run a LPC-815 of one Li-Ion with a LM317 driver, maybe consider another host?

Ahhh, yeah, if I used that driver I'd probably make a lab type setup anyways, since I don't think that driver would fit in that host.

Getting the driver in the host wouldn't be too bad. But Seeing as it's your first build I wouldn't advise doing your first build with something so fiddly. and the linear driver requires 2 cells which won't fit in that host.

Good luck with your first build!