Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

18650 or 2x 16340

Hi, this is a noob question but I ordered the 1.2W 445nm rifle laser from lazerer and it says it's power supply is 2x 16340 but I was wondering if I could just use 1 18650 instead because I already have a few 18650's, otherwise I'll have to buy some 16340's :undecided:

Oh and if I have to get some 16340's, it'd be appreciated if you could recommend some good ones for me and a good charger for them as well, tired of dealing with these cheap batteries and chargers.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Well,

It is little tricky: 2 X 3.7V = 7.4V (if 16340 are rated 3.0V) or 2x4.2V = 8.4V (if 16340 are rated 3.7V). Capacity for both options 16340 is max 1500mAh

If you are going to use one 18650 > fully charged cell is 4.2V , but capacity is from 2800mAh, to 3100mAh.

I own a lazerer 1.2W Rifle, and it is probably one of the last he sent out before they closed for the holidays.

It requires TWO 16340 (RCR123A) 3.7V Li-Ion batteries. It runs best when battery voltage is 4.2V per cell and output power drops as battery voltage drops. It will no longer function at below 3.5V per cell. You can not use primary (non rechargeable) 16340 / CR123 cells, and it will not function with a single 18650.

I own a lazerer 1.2W Rifle, and it is probably one of the last he sent out before they closed for the holidays.

It requires TWO 16340 (RCR123A) 3.7V Li-Ion batteries. It runs best when battery voltage is 4.2V per cell and output power drops as battery voltage drops. It will no longer function at below 3.5V per cell. You can not use primary (non rechargeable) 16340 / CR123 cells, and it will not function with a single 18650.

That is quite demanding driver - must say.

But if 1.2W then it make sense.

If 3.7V RCR123 then

2x 18650 (tube extension) and this laser will probably give its best performance ever.

;)

I agree, this driver is a hog! IIRC it is set to 1250mA output. Mine actually clocks in at 1310mW output.

I wish the tube was longer anyway since the second 16340 hangs out half way of the main tube, so you need to try and balance it in there while you grab the tail cap and screw it on. A barrel long enough to hold 18650s would be fantastic though!

Personally, I prefer builds with huge capacity, both thermal and battery. The Rifle V2 is still pretty sweet though.

I agree, this driver is a hog! IIRC it is set to 1250mA output. Mine actually clocks in at 1310mW output.

I wish the tube was longer anyway since the second 16340 hangs out half way of the main tube, so you need to try and balance it in there while you grab the tail cap and screw it on. A barrel long enough to hold 18650s would be fantastic though!

Personally, I prefer builds with huge capacity, both thermal and battery. The Rifle V2 is still pretty sweet though.

Do you use protected or unprotected cells?

I've used both; unprotected cells came with it, and I bought some real nice AW Protected RCR123As which I use with it now. I prefer the protected cells.

I was asking because you were complaining tube isn't long enough.

Many protected cells have extra length which makes them more like 16370 , not 16340 and that causing many problems especially when using 2 in series (additional 4-5 mm).

Yeah, its not long enough even with unprotected cells. You can't screw the tailcap on with the laser horizontal, it has to be vertical, or the battery falls out. The protected cells I have are only 1.5mm longer, and the spring compression allows it with no problem.

.. ..- -. -.. . .-. ... - .- -. -..

I see you are Amateur Radio Operator

I was 10 yrs into that until first Icoms start screening a band. It wasn't interesting any more.

--.- ... .-..
.. .- -- -. --- - ..-. .-.. ..- . -. - .. -. -.-. .-- - -... ....

What do you mean by screening a band? I'm still a recently new ham, licensed in September '11, Extra Class as of October '11. I'm a Yaesu/Kenwood guy myself. FT-2900R and TS430S. I'd love a new Yaesu but Ham equipment makes laser equipment seem cheap by comparisson. I'm mostly active with the local 2meter scene, but I enjoy DXing on HF as well. I don't have a lot to ragchew about though so I tend to stick to contests or chasing DX.

73!

-.. .
.-- ---.. ... .. --.

QSL

No, it's good

First piece of equipment FT-101 with good old tubes 6JS6C > Alpha 70 for contests.

I was mostly active on 80m-10m / 3.5MHz (night), 7MHz, 14MHz (day) / my favorite bands for DXing.

It is quite different from bands that you are using.

By scanning I meant- in 80s they introduced automatic scanning the band for CQ , which made contests kind of stupid.

Human factor wasn't main factor anymore in winning the contests like CQ WW WPX etc..

Ahh ok, I understand now. Hehe, if that's what they're using in big fancy shacks maybe, but I'm still doing the seek and pounce or running methods all by hand. I think that if I had ever entered a contst for the reason of actually competing I would get very discouraged. There are people who get more than 200 contacts per hour, I usually average about 10 per hour, and that was exhausting. I just do it because I like to see what locations I can contact, and enjoy talking to new places. My farthest contact on 20m was 11,000 miles, DXing is still my favorite.

As far as HF goes I'm on those bands too! I'm mostly active on 20, but sometimes stray to 15, 10, and 40. My antenna farm is a monoband 20 dipole, and a 40/20/15/15 multiband vertical, but it works best on 20 and 10. I can load up 80m on either but it is VERY lossy, so it wouldn't perform very well. My HF rig is 100% analog, but solid state, so no fancy scan modes or filters (which is actually bad, as you know). I have a DSP filtered amplified speaker because trying to function with a 5Khz IF filter only (not even a ssb or cw filter) is a nightmare.

I'm only active on 2meters so much because up here there is next to no cell phone coverage and most of us rely on 2m when we're out and about. Lots of great folks and once they get to know ya you don't have to have anything to talk about to have a good qso.

We used to work multi-multi (multi bands-multi members) category. 48 hrs of pure CW or SSB - depends what type of contests are. I personally was crazy about CW, and DXing. Today DXing is not the same. In 80s if you get QSL card from China you are the Nr1 , or some other countries e.g Albania in EU but gov. forbid any ham radio activity…and many more at that time VERY rare prefixes.
150-170 letters / QRQ (CW) was somehow OK to understand, but when it comes to writing it down problems begin. Special shortcut signs were used for each letter. Maybe one day (retirement) I will do this again for fun. Few of my friends from the old crew are top HAM Ops right now, and making quite a bit of money by doing contests, and antenna designs for rich folks.
At least they have good excuse to go to Caribbean locations twice a year. Caribbean locations are good so you can "hit" Americas , and EU at the same time. Delta loops full wave, and cubical quads were my fav antennas. I agree VERY expensive hobby. You mention almost no cell phone coverage, I bet some wonderful spots to install a tower, and mount a nice antenna with rotator gear. Analog all the way - I agree.