Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

16mm Copper heatsink for C6/S4 hosts

Paulostool

I used to work with laser shows in the past and I still have some "tubes" from them.

Specifically, I saved 3 modules that were the first diodes I ever pressed: An 450nm 1.6W, 520nm 700mw and 638nm 700mw.

I want to turn them into a trio of RGB pointers for the memories, but I have one issue: They are pressed on 16mm cylindrical modules.

Do someone knows where to find copper heatsinks compatible with C6 host?
Or any machinist indications to modify the 12mm ones?

Thanks!

I used to work with laser shows in the past and I still have some "tubes" from them.

Specifically, I saved 3 modules that were the first diodes I ever pressed: An 450nm 1.6W, 520nm 700mw and 638nm 700mw.

I want to turn them into a trio of RGB pointers for the memories, but I have one issue: They are pressed on 16mm cylindrical modules.

Do someone knows where to find copper heatsinks compatible with C6 host?
Or any machinist indications to modify the 12mm ones?

Thanks!
Do you think you can drill them out yourself?
There are sellers like "Survival Lasers" that sell copper sinks for the hosts you want. The 12mm heatsink holes are already there so drilling a few mm bigger shouldn't be a issue. You do have to go a bit slow with copper as it's kinda grabby.
Providing you have table drill press no matter how small or know someone with one.

A year ago there would of been many members here that could help you but still there might be someone here that will chime in..

Yes, the current plan is to go with Survival Lasers hosts and heatsinks.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a table drill, but I’m also not good at operating one.

Let’s see if someone appears, thanks for the advices!

Reactions: GSS
Yes, the current plan is to go with Survival Lasers hosts and heatsinks.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a table drill, but I’m also not good at operating one.

Let’s see if someone appears, thanks for the advices!
Even if you could find a table drill even the small ones, don't cut yourself short, it's easier than you might think.

Member "Lifetime17" is taking a time out. He would be perfect to make these heat sinks.
Send him a PM anyways he just might answer.. Take a look at his sales thread if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Have you considered pressing the diode out and then putting it into a 12 mm module? That would be the easiest thing I can think of.
Yes, this was my first thought..

But I don’t want to risk these diodes because of the sentimental value. I never pressed a working diode out 😅

As they are already in the module with leads, and I don’t have much urgency, I can wait to see if I can get someone to machine the heatsinks.

Or try to do it myself? Better to damage the heatsink than the diodes.

Even if you could find a table drill even the small ones, don't cut yourself short, it's easier than you might think.

Member "Lifetime17" is taking a time out. He would be perfect to make these heat sinks.
Send him a PM anyways he just might answer.. Take a look at his sales thread if you haven't already.
I’ll send him a message and wait a little before trying myself.

Thanks for the advices!

Yes, this was my first thought..

But I don’t want to risk these diodes because of the sentimental value. I never pressed a working diode out 😅

As they are already in the module with leads, and I don’t have much urgency, I can wait to see if I can get someone to machine the heatsinks.

Or try to do it myself? Better to damage the heatsink than the diodes.

It's not that difficult to press a diode out intact. I actually have presses to do that. You might want to see if you can find the correct one and do this also.

Back