Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

15 watt laser glasses

Hello, I recently bought a 15 watt, 450 nm laser head. I've been searching everywhere on the type of safety glasses I need with it, and I haven't found anything for 15 watts. I bought the laser from a seller on ebay and there is absolutely no where that lists the recommended safety glasses or the class type the laser is. I assume that the higher the wattage the stronger glasses i need, right? Or is it just if the glasses match the wavelength of the laser and have a decent O.D. then it will be fine? Does wattage have a play in this?

You should use your first post to introduce yourself. Do you have a link to the laser you bought? I have doubts it outputs 15 watts. Aptlightingworld advertises a 17 watt pulsed beam, but it is <8 watts CW. Since these are laser diodes and not solid state lasers, the pulse power is not going to be that much higher than the CW power.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/15W-Laser-He...d=232517222283&_trksid=p2056116.c100890.m2460

Here is the link to the laser. I know 15 watts is just it's max power, it even says it averages around 6 watts or so. Either way, I did test it by putting a cardboard box over it, and it does burn right through the cardboard and definitely marks up wood as well, which is about the level I needed it to be.

But I certainly don't want to lose my eyes messing around with this. Do you have any recommendations for glasses?

I would suggest Eagle brand laser goggles. There are many places you can get these online. You want some that are redish in color and have an optical density, or OD4+, OD5+. These are logarithmic scales, so that a pair that has an optical density of OD4 is a full order of magnitude greater than OD3. One place that carries these are: www.laserlands.net where you can buy OD4 goggles in the $30.00 range. You might be able to find them cheaper at other places.

Last edited:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/15W-Laser-He...d=232517222283&_trksid=p2056116.c100890.m2460

Here is the link to the laser. I know 15 watts is just it's max power, it even says it averages around 6 watts or so. Either way, I did test it by putting a cardboard box over it, and it does burn right through the cardboard and definitely marks up wood as well, which is about the level I needed it to be.

But I certainly don't want to lose my eyes messing around with this. Do you have any recommendations for glasses?

The specs on that link says it draws 5Amps.
There is no way that the Laser will do 15 Watts.
I would suggest you get a Laser Power Meter to
be sure you are not getting Chinese ripped off.

The Chinese are notorious for Power exaggeration.

It would be nice if you introduced yourself
in the Welcome section for new members and
told us a little about your self. It would also be
helpful to the Forum members if you included
your Global location in your Member Profile.

Jerry

Last edited: