Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

100mW: Too Strong for a Simple Enthusiast?

Encap

Sorry, I'm brand new on the forum and stuff... What's HL, PL, and LFP? And actually, yeah, I'd rather a 445nm, but those are too much more expensive, and the beam visibility doesn't really make that much of a difference to me. I still want to be able to afford a tripod and safety glasses, of course!

HL, PL and LFP are models of host offered by laserbtb.

O-LIke has a special very low price on 1000mW/1W 445nm blue @ $59.99 maybe have a look here: New waterproof Blue laser 1W torch /focusable [OL-BLUW] - $59.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

Last edited:

Oh, I meant, what do they stand for? Is it HL=Handheld Laser, PL=Portable Laser (or Pen Laser?), and LPF... I have no idea! And you also mentioned LP; what do they all stand for?

USAbro

LPF-Laser Pointer Forums. HL-Handheld laser. PL-Portable laser (or PL-E Pro-means something else).

Encap

LPF-Laser Pointer Forums. HL-Handheld laser. PL-Portable laser (or PL-E Pro-means something else).

LFP on laserbtb is Model designation meaning : Low power, Full power, Pulsed

Scroll down to botton of page and see laser btb's advet for same---nice looking new hosts

Ok, thanks. Now to return to my original question about safety, I'm probably going to buy BTB's 100mW 405nM Handheld, and I'll buy safety glasses for it, too, but I don't want to have to use tinted glasses every time I want to shine the laser! I'll never even get to enjoy the color or brightness that way. When do I need to be wearing safety glasses? When I'm up close to the beam/point? At ALL times? Even if I'm just shining it around a wall? Indoors? Outdoors?

Nah of course you can use the laser indoor and shine it, its just you have to be careful not shine at anything that might reflect the beam in your eyes, just use common sense and since a 405 laser looks more blurry to your eyes compared if you shine a 532 laser 100mW it will hurt your eyes if you are close where a 405 is more relaxing to look, thats my personal experience with them. Outdoors i would say glasses is not needed at all if you mean pointing at stars and that, not likely you hit something up there that gonna bounce the beam back ;) Just use them and stay safe you will enjoy lasers. Glasses you wear mostly when you burn stuff and that..

Last edited:
To all of you who have given me information and advice, I thank you! I'll wait until after the holidays sometime to actually make a purchase (I've decided that 100mW is ultimately too much for me; I'll stick with BTB's 80mW pen), but you've helped me in making a safe and well-informed decision. I hope that someday, I can provide the same assistance to someone else that you all have to me! :thanks: