Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Micro-Drive laser driver by rkcstr

I was fortunate to get the afternoon off today, so I finished packaging and shipping all orders made up through yesterday.

So, unless you ordered today, your items are on the way!

Also, instructions for the new driver can be downloaded here:
http://rkcstr.googlepages.com/MD_v3_inst_rev1.pdf

very nice instructions rkcstr. Thanks. I especially like the troubleshooting section.

can't wait to get the drivers in, shouldn't be too much longer I hope. I see you shipped everything already :)

-Kendall

About those instructions, the first, most reliable way you list for setting the current was the way I've always done it. My question is I did it on a Version 2, will it cause any problems or is it ok to do it like that? Measure current directly from the pads? I used a test load and all and double checked it but if there is an established "safe" current for a diode preset by people using them here, is there and absolute need for using the test load? Just something I've always wondered, I know it's probably best to use a test load just incase something were to go wrong. Anyway, thanks Ryan, the new drivers are just as reliable and easy to use as ever. :)

About those instructions, the first, most reliable way you list for setting the current was the way I've always done it. My question is I did it on a Version 2, will it cause any problems or is it ok to do it like that? Measure current directly from the pads? I used a test load and all and double checked it but if there is an established "safe" current for a diode preset by people using them here, is there and absolute need for using the test load? Just something I've always wondered, I know it's probably best to use a test load just incase something were to go wrong. Anyway, thanks Ryan, the new drivers are just as reliable and easy to use as ever. :)
using and testing them are the same as before. a couple of components just changed i think.a test load isnt necessary but having some kind of dummy load is necessary to get the right measurement. you can use a 1ohm resistor in place of the test load. just test on either side of the resistor.

rkcstr

This driver functions just the same as the previous driver, it just has a few improvements on the circuit and PCB. So, you can test the current just the same as the last; I just outlined the methods a little more in depth for these instructions, nothing new.

As for my Test Load, it's not required by any means. It was just a solution for a PCB-based version of what most others were using as a "dummy load". So, you can use whatever load you like, mine is just convenient.

Hey RKCSTR
Great documentation on the driver setup. Can't wait to get the drivers for TRI-Beam (AKA TB1).:beer:

Last edited:
I'm running one of these on an LOC at 412 ma. How much heat should I expect the driver to generate? When I set the driver I used the direct method as per your instructions and it got plenty warm.

rkcstr

They will get hot, which is expected for a linear-type driver. It also depends on your input to output voltage. More input voltage for the same output will increase heat. It will probably get even warmer if you're just measuring directly with a multimeter since it is essentially shorting the driver, which means very little output voltage and the excess becomes heat. But, shorting the output does not hurt my driver since the current is regulated, so that method is safe, just watch your fingers!

C

changeup

Re: Micro-Drive laser driver by rkcstr PRESALE FOR NEW VERSION til 6/23

Rckstr,
Will your driver work with a GREEN laser as well?

Sure it will, you just have to find out the current requirements of your green laser. 6V input voltage should be ok.

Also, no need to double-post. You can edit your posting if there's something you want to add a few moments later.

C

changeup

I just wasn't sure if a different set of resistors or such would be needed.....
There's a certain number, it appears, for RED, and BLUE,............I just wasn't sure if people are bored with GREENIES.
I'd like to make the driver versatile and change out diodes as they stop working or if I get bored with the color. :confused::beer:
Thanks

Last edited:

rkcstr

It will work with a green laser, sure. But, keep in mind that a green laser is really an IR diode with pump crystals to produce green. So, make sure you connect the pins properly and figure out what current you need to use.