Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tiny RGB

Eidetical

Wonderful design and workmanship!!! I can't imaging grinding on a 5mm prism!

Knocked it out of the park with this one!!

farbe2

After what felt like ages another update:

I anodized the housing black. I couldnt decide and i am still debating of making it silver.
housing.jpeg

Its so tiny!
housing2.jpeg

I am still far away from finished, just trying out some looks for the menu system, so the display is essentally showing garbage.
But it already puts out some photons:
purple.jpeg

yellow.jpeg

orange.jpeg

Due to the relativly good beam size match, colors are really well mixed, without blue green or red corona.
Even at low powers, the output mixes well and is very controlable.
With 30-40 brightness steps per mW of output power, even a limit to 5mW total output results in beautiful smooth fades without visible steps.

And it packs a punch too:
burning.jpeg
Which makes it even more silly and awesome. Wasnt even full power on red and blue (see display) because the white looked better on cam. However the phone cam still struggeld to capture the real hue. Its easy to adjust the white to cold or warm.

beam.jpg
Thats roughly 1/3 of full output with a clearly visible beam without any fog just normal dirty city air.
I think the thin beam really helps making it visible.

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
We should do a poll on what to name it

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Tiny RGB, entirely designed and created by Farbe2, one of a kind in size, original, pocket-sized, finely handcrafted,

Launch price, valid only for the first 30 units, " $140 "
SOLD! Sign me up!

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Farbe2 said I forgot a zero.
So you have to pay $1400 for it
I thought $140 sounded too good to be true :) Damn nice work though! If I happen to have a couple extra grand land in my pocket I'll bite. Love the form factor! What is duty cycle like? How quickly does that itty-bitty host heat up at full power?

farbe2

The diodes and drivers only dissipate <2W at full output.
That’s less than a Galaxy Note 11 takes while gaming.

Having essentially liquid cooling (=blood cooling) helps a lot.
Holding the unit in your hand will significantly reduce the temperature of the housing. I run it for like 5 min at full output and the temperature never exceeded 45C while 60C is the maximum allowable temperature for the laser diodes.

Having it sit on a table significantly increases the temperature. The bottom surface is what’s used to cool the diode, having it sit on a table makes it much less effective.
I stopped at 50C diode temperature, not sure what it would reach, it might get close to 60C.

The software measures the laser diode temperature and dims them down should to temperature reach 60C. It will automagically throttle the output.

Giannis_TDM

SOLD! Sign me up!
Tbf just the hours spent machining the host themselves warrant about double that, not to mention soldering and initial hours it took to code the software along with glue ing and aligning the optics, easily looking at 4-8 hours per minimum.

farbe2

I think people don’t get how much time I spend on project like these. Even just anodizing takes an hour of keeping an eye on temperatures and stirring liquids.

Not only machining, also programming the toolpaths, making custom tooling to hold the delicate parts. Screwing one up needs to be accounted for, it happens.

The driver got 110 tiny parts that need to be placed and soldered.

I would really love to sell at 150 bucks but that’s just insane. The parts alone are more than that without the labor.

I didn’t calculate it, 1400$ might be a bit high but it will surely be around 1000$.

I would need to do design for manufacturing e.g optimizing everything, reducing part counts and making jigs to get the price down. Just not going to happen for the tiny tiny market of people wanting to spend 1000$ on a tiny rgb laser. :/