Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sony 20x burners $24 at Newegg

Abray

well I have put it and the batteries in at the same time, and it did fit, so I think its alright, even though i think I did cut it below that wider part. lol. if it doesn't work out, I can get another MXDL and do it better the second time

and I forgot to mention, I would wrap the wire in electrical tape also...

jayrob

Abray said:
well I have put it and the batteries in at the same time, and it did fit, so I think its alright, even though i think I did cut it below that wider part. lol. if it doesn't work out, I can get another MXDL and do it better the second time

and I forgot to mention, I would wrap the wire in electrical tape also...

The thin wire that I am talking about is bendable enough, so that the wire easily bends, not the driver parts or the LD pins. Really makes a big difference in the build...
Jay

well, to tell you the truth my first LM327T setup in my MXDL was sooooo ugly, I was afraid to open the top of the flashlight ;D

the driver was soo ugly and meat up that it started causing me problems. so, I trashed that driver, and strted form scratch, cleaning off the MXDL Battery contact PCB, and this time making a good looking driver! clean = easy to work with and less problems.

I also found that an electric sander I had equipped with normal coarse wood sandpaper makes a very good tool for sanding down the LM317T tab! I just had it lying around, and it have me some clean results! Also, try some heatshrink tubing, I found that it helps A LOT and is less messy not as big as electrical tape. I know jayrob has some kind of heat shrink tubing factory going on in his house, as he seems to have and endless supply ;D for some cheap and good stuff, I tried homedepot, and they were good. THey didnt have assorted colors though, just black.

good luck abray,

amk

jayrob

Gazoo said:
Jay I am lovin every minute of it... ;D But I must always remember it was VaThink who got me started on the open cans and the TEC's, and I owe him many thanks.

Thanks to your heatsinks I am sure there will be many MXDL 300's around...lol. I plan on making mine this weekend.

Gazoo, how did your MXDL 300 turn out? I know you have an above average HOT diode. So, at 420mA's and a Meredith glass lens, I am curious how many mW's you got there. Maybe 320mW's?
Jay

geek

Does anyone know how far the windowless IR diodes in these can be pushed?

geek said:
Does anyone know how far the windowless IR diodes in these can be pushed?

I pushed mine to 245mA, although one can argue that I had a kik @$$ tough diode. its going at 160mW right now. A few others have tried, and thier die out at 210. I tried 3 other windowless IR's, and they all diode at around 210mA.

Has anyone put one of these diodes in a dorcy junior? To me it sounds like a perfect host for this diode because the dorcys put around 400ma's of current with a driver that already has capacitors in it. Also, are these safe to use just with an aixiz module, or do i need a heavy duty heat sink?

cbrian4 said:
Has anyone put one of these diodes in a dorcy junior? To me it sounds like a perfect host for this diode because the dorcys put around 400ma's of current with a driver that already has capacitors in it. Also, are these safe to use just with an aixiz module, or do i need a heavy duty heat sink?

MXDL is better, and cheaper. the custom heatsink (made by jayrob) and a driver (sold by rckstr (yes, he has allowed me to disclose his name!!)), or a custom LM317 is the way to go.

jayrob

amkdeath said:
Also, try some heatshrink tubing, I found that it helps A LOT and is less messy not as big as electrical tape. I know jayrob has some kind of heat shrink tubing factory going on in his house, as he seems to have and endless supply  ;D  for some cheap and good stuff, I tried homedepot, and they were good. THey didnt have assorted colors though, just black.

good luck abray,

amk

I got my supply of heat shrink tubing from here:
http://www.allelectronics.com/matrix/Heatshrinkable_Tubing.html
Check the bottom of that page, there is an assorted pack of different sizes and colors...
Jay

amkdeath said:
[quote author=cbrian4 link=1202158967/225#231 date=1206678478]Has anyone put one of these diodes in a dorcy junior? To me it sounds like a perfect host for this diode because the dorcys put around 400ma's of current with a driver that already has capacitors in it. Also, are these safe to use just with an aixiz module, or do i need a heavy duty heat sink?

MXDL is better, and cheaper. the custom heatsink (made by jayrob) and a driver (sold by rckstr (yes, he has allowed me to disclose his name!!)), or a custom LM317 is the way to go.[/quote]
I already have the dorcy junior. How is the mxdl better if you have to install your own driver? The driver on the dorcy's already have capacitors and put out around 400ma of current according to kenom. I wouldn't have to add any resistors or anything or would i? the only thing is that i'll probably need a heatsink. Im just trying to get an answer if this flashlight will work or not.

jake21

i mske my own heatsinks for the dorcy jr with a 18x dvd diode in it and it runs for ever with out getting hott

jake21 said:
i mske my own heatsinks for the dorcy jr with a 18x dvd diode in it and it runs for ever with out getting hott
How do you make the heat sink? and what are the dimensions? Im assuming your using aluminum. Oh and your 18x diode is open can right?

jake21

i get aluminum and just size it down to fit nice in the dorcy and drill a hole for my modual