Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your pics of unique builds no-one else has

Just got this from Ehgemus Friday and installed a six inch diameter PCX lens cone last night.

31b04c35-1309-4fab-8970-61222a4759c4.jpg

Guaranteed, there is only one of these in the world right now, but feel free to make it less unique and have one like it built for you :) Ehgemus builds nice stuff.

The big 6 inch diameter lens on this laser pointer reduces the amount of spreading the optics produce to make this 1.4 watt green laser produce a beam so tight that at 10 miles distance the spot would be brighter than a 1000 watt output laser using a typical 6 mm diameter lens (if it didn't shatter it). The reason the spot is brighter is because when using a large diameter lens like this, the divergence, a property of spreading, is reduced so much the spot produced is several hundred times smaller, making it appear brighter.

More about this and the low divergence such a large lens can produce at this link (click): Ehgemus fan thread, post your photo's of the host he built for you. - Page 3 - Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Laser Pointers

Last edited:

I was doing some calculations tonight and determined a 1 mw single mode laser expanded to 4 inches could have a brighter spot 10 miles distant than a 1 watt NDB7475T 520nm laser diode with a G2 lens. Beam expanders are amazing.

I'd like to correct the beam in my NDG7475, hoping that will get rid of the wings. I have partially corrected it using a small plano-convex cylinder lens, but it needs more and I'm hoping a cylinder lens pair (concave + convex) will take care of all of it. I have a 3X cylinder pair for the diode, but I need to find or get something to mount it inside the host. One big problem though, so far, it appears a cylinder lens pair must be used with infinity focus, my host is purposely taken out of focus to get the spot to match the size of the PCX collimation lens on the end of the cone, using an adjusted out of focus G2 lens. So, it appears I will have to focus the beam to infinity, shoot through the cylinder lens pair and then expand again with a concave lens.... adding loss :(

It sure does appear I can focus my beam with the setup I have like the lower drawing you posted, I can focus it to a small spot on a cloud base, I can also focus it 30 feet away too, lots of range. Good news on the 6X lenses :)

Ehgemus is working on a host similar to the above photo, except without the cone which will have a ledge inside for knife edging some diodes together. I will be concentrating on that project when he gets it done :) so this host is going to the back burner for corrective optics some time in the future. It still works great as is though, not as much a ribbon with the plano-convex lens in it, so no hurry to do that except to rid the wings, if they can do so.

Last edited:

GSS

Alaskan, again very nice from this neewbie, im just bummed I cant use ( you would have to build it or tell me how) something like this in the city I live in but im sure glad you can:)

I'd like to correct the beam in my NDG7475, hoping that will get rid of the wings. I have partially corrected it using a small plano-convex cylinder lens, but it needs more and I'm hoping a cylinder lens pair (concave + convex) will take care of all of it. I have a 3X cylinder pair for the diode, but I need to find or get something to mount it inside the host. One big problem though, so far, it appears a cylinder lens pair must be used with infinity focus, my host is purposely taken out of focus to get the spot to match the size of the PCX collimation lens on the end of the cone, using an adjusted out of focus G2 lens. So, it appears I will have to focus the beam to infinity, shoot through the cylinder lens pair and then expand again with a concave lens.... adding loss :(

It sure does appear I can focus my beam with the setup I have like the lower drawing you posted, I can focus it to a small spot on a cloud base, I can also focus it 30 feet away too, lots of range. Good news on the 6X lenses :)

Ehgemus is working on a host similar to the above photo, except without the cone which will have a ledge inside for knife edging some diodes together. I will be concentrating on that project when he gets it done :) so this host is going to the back burner for corrective optics some time in the future. It still works great as is though, not as much a ribbon with the plano-convex lens in it, so no hurry to do that except to rid the wings, if they can do so.

This may interest you Alaskan,
I am sending Ehgemus my 2X beam expander from Dragon lasers for him to build me two Host's. One for my NDG7475. also sending him my 10x beam expander from JetLasers so the host can take either optic.
I think the 2 X might make a nicer beam, remove the wings and still maintain a relatively bright tight beam. We'll see.
I am ordering 2 of these. The second will be for a binned 462nm and custom made driver to safely push it to 471nm 1.4 W and will also take both expander's.

Last edited:
RedCowboy: Nice! Love the builds which can take some power. The 07E is my favorite diode, too bad mine died unexpectedly, want to get another one someday, just wish the price would come down.

olympus mons: Great, I keep trying to recommend Ehgemus, but you can see what he does from other members builds too. Where do you get a binned 462nm diode? I'm hoping Harold can start on my knife edge this week, this has been months in the planning until I was able to get to the point if finding the right battery holders for it and sending them to him this week.

RedCowboy: Nice! Love the builds which can take some power. The 07E is my favorite diode, too bad mine died unexpectedly, want to get another one someday, just wish the price would come down.

olympus mons: Great, I keep trying to recommend Ehgemus, but you can see what he does from other members builds too. Where do you get a binned 462nm diode? I'm hoping Harold can start on my knife edge this week, this has been months in the planning until I was able to get to the point if finding the right battery holders for it and sending them to him this week.

RHD binned a lot of diodes and had an extra one he put up for sale with his driver he either made or had made. I snatched that up immediately. I've been sitting on it for 9 months trying to find the right way to build it into a proper host.

Oh, now I remember when he had that for sale. I miss RHD, he hasn't been very active in the last six months to a year.

aSRdZ5z.jpg

Edmund optics lens inside for 638nm
LED's changed to White.
Some changes to the driver.
Custom tailcap pin
New Glass protective window for 638nm
And to top it off a nice polished finish.

I'd live to see those white LEDs powered on. Bet that looks sharp. Did WL make you this? Really nice hand held.

Pman

Couple pics of my Dorcy 6W 470nm:
fWC34p.jpg

RT6vVm.jpg

Compared to a 464nm makes the 464nm look violet/purple:
VII6xH.jpg

Last edited:

GSS

Wow just Wow! Does it have the Pman "bat signal" on the back?:wave:

Hi Everybody.
here's pics of my first build some time ago. The host was a vision of a mag light with a huge cool sink so i figured what i wanted and sent the idea to Ed. So i chose Ed Crouse to undertake my building of the host. Man i really miss that guy, please come back!! Anyway here's some pics;In it is;
NDB7A75/5+W/9MM
4A SXD Driver
G2 Lens
Cells-2-26650's
Duty cycle Forever LOL !

Attachments

• IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1272.JPG
    IMG_1272.JPG
    175.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1285.JPG
    IMG_1285.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hi folks,
This is another host by Ed Crouse he made for me. i seen one of the originals and modified the sink size and added more appeal to the battery tube also. This is what's in it; I call it the GRENADE .!!
NDB7875/9MM/3+W
2.4A/Xdrive
G2 Lens
2-18650's
Duty Cycle have no idea but it's a lot ...

Attachments

• IMG_1286.JPG
    IMG_1286.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1288.JPG
    IMG_1288.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1289.JPG
    IMG_1289.JPG