Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR-803T for about $20

daguin said:
[quote author=sk8er4514 link=1210732931/216#221 date=1213504287]whats the easiest way to get these diodes out of their original heat sink?

I've been working on one for about an hour and its still stuck in there. any help is appreciated!

I simply grab the heat sink on both "longer" sides with pliers (make sure you aren't "grabbing" the diode), hold tight, and twist gently in opposite directions. The heat sink breaks away easily.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

genius. thanks dave, I'll do that next time as it sounds like it would work really well.

daguin

sk8er4514 said:
genius. thanks dave, I'll do that next time as it sounds like it would work really well.

It works for me :)

Peace,
dave

The pinout on the 803T/DT0811 IS different than the standard.. It has no case ground, making it easier to use in some situations:).

Attachments

• br_pin_out2.jpg
    br_pin_out2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 79
ahh man that information was like 2 minutes late, i just took off the bottom pin :(

crap... now i'm going to have to put it back on and use some silicon to hold it on... it'll have to dry overnight and i wont get to finish this for another week . bah

EDIT: well I couldn't wait and I soldered a pin back on pretty well, put some silicone on it so it will hopefully stay, and hooked up my MXDL blu ray to see if it would work and it did! great success, it looks awesome, easily visible beam, haven't tried any matches or balloons or anything but I'm really really happy that I got it to work and this was my first time to ever see a blu ray laser at all :)

here's some pics of my new laser, and my old ones also!
[link=http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1213510795/0#0]http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1213510795/0#0[/link]

Hey, I plan on picking one of these up soon. I currently own 5mW, 10mW, and 20mW green DX lasers and have been dying to pick up a blue laser. Unfortunately I don't know much about about building your own laser. I know how to use a soldering iron and have repaired/modified consumer electronics before and built my own small circuits, so I imagine it's the type of thing I could do with right knowledge. So I'll be searching through the forums trying to find the info I need, but if anyone wants to help point me in the right direction, it'd be much appreciated.

Just a quick question relevant to this diode in particular: how many mA should I be feeding it? I'm looking for a good overall life for the diode and would like to avoid heat issues. As far as power goes, I just want something with an easily visible beam at night time. Assuming the blue is close to as visible as green is, 50mW would be more than enough output for me.

daguin

DWells55 said:
As far as power goes, I just want something with an easily visible beam at night time. Assuming the blue is close to as visible as green is, 50mW would be more than enough output for me.

This is a normal misconception. They called them blu-ray. However, they are NOT blue. They are violet at best. They are 405nm which is near ultra violet. It is NOT nearly as visible as green (or blue 473nm). Blue lasers are much more expensive than blu-ray lasers. This thread is discussing blu-ray diodes (405nm).

Peace,
dave

Yeah, I'm aware they're not "true" blue lasers (which run a hell of a lot more money than I can afford), but based on videos I've seen, they achieve a color close enough to blue to keep me happy. A video I saw of one of these same diodes running at 100mW produced a beam that was extremely visible. However, I imagine 100mW kills the diode quicker as well as draining batteries quicker, so if something like 50mW of this wavelength is enough for a visible beam in the night sky, I'm happy.

even 85mW makes a hard to see beam, you can tell that it's there but my 40mw green makes beam that's many times more visible

Hmmm, just as a grounds for comparison, I consider a 10mW green laser (a DX laser, so chances are it's not even doing a full 10mW) to be clearly visible. I'd like something a bit more visible, but if it's the difference between a dead diode or a working diode, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Even a 100mW BluRay is not as visible as a 10mW green:(. My ~90mW can be seen in the night sky pretty clearly, but nowhere near what my 5mW green looked like..

They can be used a Starpointers above maybe 80mW, but something like the moon will drown them out.

FWIW, if you read back in this thred, one of these diodes has run for WEEKS straight @90mA on only the tiny, stock heatsink. One should last a looong time at 100mA, good for ~90mW:) My 100mA pointer has been going for over 2 weeks, with LOTS of use, and shows NO signs of deterioration:D

daguin

DWells55 said:
based on videos I've seen, they achieve a color close enough to blue to keep me happy. A video I saw of one of these same diodes running at 100mW produced a beam that was extremely visible.

The camera "sees" 405nm MUCH better than the human eye does. Do NOT expect your 405nm to look anything like what you saw in the video. It is beautiful, but not nearly as bright.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=DWells55 link=1210732931/228#230 date=1213581249]based on videos I've seen, they achieve a color close enough to blue to keep me happy. A video I saw of one of these same diodes running at 100mW produced a beam that was extremely visible.

The camera "sees" 405nm MUCH better than the human eye does. Do NOT expect your 405nm to look anything like what you saw in the video. It is beautiful, but not nearly as bright.

Peace,
dave[/quote]

^^ what I was going to say.

also, the camera sees it as a much bluer shade than it really is... in real life it's a very deep, dark purple.

I was running mine at 100mA and it was just barely visible in a smoky room with all the lights turned out.

daguin

daguin said:
[quote author=Kenom link=1210732931/228#236 date=1213584351]is anyone else having a hard time getting to geeks.com

It looks like their server is down.

Hmmmmm! Evertek's website is down as well. It is giving the same message. Evertek and Geeks sold out of the drives at the same time.

Curiouser and curiouser

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=daguin link=1210732931/228#237 date=1213584549][quote author=Kenom link=1210732931/228#236 date=1213584351]is anyone else having a hard time getting to geeks.com

It looks like their server is down.

Hmmmmm!  Evertek's website is down as well.  It is giving the same message.  Evertek and Geeks sold out of the drives at the same time.  

Curiouser and curiouser

Peace,
dave
[/quote]
Oh no! A superlative! :p
Ya, i think it is the same company.