Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PHR-803T for about $20

bmansc

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums, but thought I'd share this info. I ordered a couple of $19 refurb HD-DVD drives (one to use & one to salvage a diode from), and it ended up having the PHR-803T sled in it. I haven't finished extracting the diode, but it does appear to be the same high power one from the Xbox 360 drives.

The drive is a Toshiba SD-H802A 2.4X from geeks.com. Won't let me post a link, but you can search for 802a. You can also use code SLICKDEALS for an extra %10 off

Haven't taken apart the other to see if it's the same, yet. Crossing my fingers, while I order another drive or two [smiley=grin.gif]

Attaching a pic

BMan

PS: The forums are awesome. Only been here a few days & the sheer amount of info is incredible.

Attachments

• 803t.JPG
    803t.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 105

bmansc

Thanks for posting the link!

I can confirm that the diode has the mark on the back, like the other higher power HD-DVD ones. Still working on the driver circuit, so I haven't tested it yet.

Brian

bmansc said:
Thanks for posting the link!

I can confirm that the diode has the mark on the back, like the other higher power HD-DVD ones. Still working on the driver circuit, so I haven't tested it yet.

Brian

Keep us posted!

bmansc

Is there any way to test a laser diode, other than powering it up?

I built DDL's driver, and it works fine with a LED, but I get no current flow whatsoever with the laser diode. I was very careful with it, making sure the cap was discharged & everything... haven't even removed it from the base yet, cause I didn't want to damage it.

I'll probably buy one of Dr Lava's drivers before I put it in a host, but I wanted to make sure it worked OK

Really good news. Bluray diodes are finally becoming reasonably priced. I've bookmarked this one.

Also, I've got to wonder if there are any cheap high powered HD bluray drives (and diodes) out there that can now be had for peanuts.

With the demise of HD (and the Xbox) the market is going to be flooded with cheap BluRays - an unexpected windfall for us hobbyists!

Ace82

john_lawson said:
I'm in california had to pay taxes 28.00$ for me

Awe, your blu-ray project has begun! Let me know how/what you decide to build! :cool:

I took apart 11 sd-h802a drives from xbox 360 hd-dvd player only 4 drives have the phr-803t sled. :(

roSSco

TheMonk said:
I took apart 11 sd-h802a drives from xbox 360 hd-dvd player only 4 drives have the phr-803t sled. :(
I will carefully disassemble mine. If it's not an 803t it's going in the pc. ;D