Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New To Lasers (Can't Wait To Make A DEW)

JustMichael_1138

lol Yeah, I do love me some good ol' fashioned, Buck Rogers-level death rays. Fallout 4 was lovely for it. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for some Tesla legends. Pretty sure he was far and away ahead of us because he understood electricity and magnetism in ways we are only just beginning to discover. I do apologize for any oddball questions that demonstrate my ignorance in these regards. I figure it's better to be thought a fool for asking a question than suffering the consequences of not asking it later on.

As for what I know...I know only that I know nothing. I can read physics and get general interpretations of fascinating things like the Kaluza-Klein theorem or the Banach-Tarski paradox, and I get the basics behind electricity (though not necessarily electronics), and life has taught me the value of READING THE BLEEPING INSTRUCTIONS FIRST (several times, in fact...!) so rest assured, I won't be cooking my neighbors with an open microwave sending beta rays their way, or doing something outrageous like builidng a giant, unshielded Jacob's Ladder in my back yard for yucks. I don't need the FCC knocking on my door, and I'm not Max Headroom.

This is the twenty first century, though. I want my pocket death ray blaster, and my Bifield-Brown-powered Jetson car. And after all, the second amendment was written specifically so that the citizenry could never be outgunned by any government. Granted, that doesn't exactly put an M-79 in my hands, but DEWs are the new frontier, and the first person to create a compact lethal beam weapon is going to be an overnight millionaire.

Higher-energy frequencies for beam wavelengths equals more equipment/components that are more powerful/higher-quality, from what I gather. A <1 second blast of a beam of sufficient power and frequency would ideally be enough to either cause instant ignition of clothing or superheating metal, and be enough of a deterrent in itself to preclude further aggression on the part of the attacker. But again, I'm pretty sure Raytheon isn't going to sell me something like a microwave diode in the GHz range or specially-built blue laser diode arrays; the only answer I'm likely to get for even asking if they would sell them to me is a knock on the door in the middle of the night by two suits in a non-descript dark sedan. So, I am relegated to the likes of eBay and other sketchy overseas vendors and doing a lot of research before starting to buy components (the part I'm at now). That's why I appreciate the replies. I'm soaking it in and using it as a jump-off point.

Yes, I can already hear DAs grinning like Ainsley Harriot over the plea deals they'll be able to hook people on for setting home invaders on fire via high-powered beam weapons. Obviously, legislation will have to be drafted to bolster the 2A in this regard, and honestly, commonsense legislation would be to simply absolve home owners from any ill effects invaders suffer as a result of their felonious conduct. Got set on fire? Guess what? If you wouldn't have valued someone else's possessions more than your own life, you wouldn't be in the burn ward, now would you? Sign on the door clearly said owner was armed with unconventional weapons. lol

Is there a way to ionize the beam so that it transfers a charge or build-up of potentially lethal electricity very rapidly? Can you make a beam out of ions? I remember seeing in the Amazing1 website that they had "guns" you could use to annoy your neighbors with by turning on their florescent lights or making their TV power on by blasting it with a stream of ions. If that could be scaled up in beam form, wouldn't that be ideal for a beam weapon? Instead of burning them, you flash fry them with a single flash. Or does that stray more into an arc discharge?

Also, I realize batteries are still not sufficiently powerful to be viable for powering compact beam weapons, but what about capacitors? Like, really big, fist-sized capacitors? Charge them up and bam.

Thank you again for your answers and patience with my ignorance!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Better still, stick to <500mW for a first build. Class IV lasers are no joke for the inexperienced.

This requires a lot of power, but it's interesting none the less.

I read about a tandem pulse laser weapon that works by laser ablation, with the ablated material explosively forming a plasma which can then be 'detonated' with a second laser pulse.
Look up and read about the Pulsed Energy projectile which causes a pain sensation as a deterrent, but with more energy could be deadly.
Also the Pulsed Impulsive Kill Laser.

While we're having fun read this: http://panoptesv.com/SciFi/LaserDeathRay/SinglePhotonIonization.html

There's a reason for the interest in masers for energy transfer and weapons use, however how well can you focus a maser ?

Atmospheric-opacity-as-a-function-of-wavelength.png

Last edited:
Here's something interesting, I wonder what wavelength they will be using ?

Last edited: