Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Multi-element GB (official)

HIMNL9

Are there any restrictions on these metals in your country, or are they just hard to obtain?
-Mark

Chemicals here are both hard to obtain for privates, and restricted by laws for at least half of the elements.

For the common substances that can be used in dangerous ways, or that can be also just dangerous themselves, as example, if i want to buy them, i can't ..... need a certification that say that you've followed specific courses for handling them, a certification for industrial use need (that say that you need it for your work in an industrial environment and under health office control, i mean), and you have to sign a special national register each single time that you go to buy one of them, that report all your personal data and all the quantity of any buyed element ..... and for a good part of them, you also have to present documents that certify where and how you used them, quantities, and wrere, how and who managed the related waste material, and the quantities also have to be coherents, you can't sign for 100Kg of mercury, then document waste treatment and disposal of 50, as example .....

and for the other half of the table, selling, buying and use is reserved to universities labs, medical environment, specific industries and research centers, and with much more restrictions than before ..... and other than this, also where the materials are available, they sell you only industrial quantities, or lab sampling ..... mean, as example, 1 Kg minimun of element 99.9% pure for industrial work (at high price), or 1 to 5 grams "extra pure high grade 99,999% sampling quality" elements (at absurd prices :p)

Then i see internet sites like unitednuclear.com, that sell to anyone in the US so much substances that i can just dream to have (and i think i can't buy from them, cause if our custom see words like "sodium", "cesium", "indium", and so on, in the invoice, they send me directly police and NBC squads before also just think "what the hell is that ?" :p) ..... i'm envious, really :D

Benm

Indium? that's about as innocent as elements go :)

I wonder what they do if you send an empty air-bubble envelope and mark its contents 'nitroxen, oxygen, argon'.

HIMNL9

^ and mentioning also all the other elements of the common air, i guess ? :p

Well, knowing the actual scentific preparation of most of our custom officers, they probably confiscate it, and ask for a consulence from some university professor ..... :p :D

..... hell, if was not for the possible troubles, i can do this just for the fun to shoot a pic at their face when they get the reply from the prof :eg: :eg: :eg:

And yes, they can confiscate anything that they don't know, here ..... and, guess, how much custom officers knows what indium is ? :p .....

Just for give you an example, really happened, they confiscated, years ago, an entire block of 100 encoders (3600 steps custom rotary sensors, someting like 400$ each one), claiming that the customer had indicated them in the wrong way, cause they was motors (a different category) ..... customer said that they was sensors, and they replied, literally "it's round, there are wires that come out from the back, and a rotating rod on the front, so this mean that it's a motor" ..... they stopped anything for months (AAARGH !)

Finally, customer had to send to custom office a technician (guess who ?) for dismantle a pair of them under their eyes, and let them see that there was a glass disk and sensors inside, before they understand what "rotary sensor" means and give the items back to him, LOL !

Benm

Oh yeah, they can be pretty lame about things they dont quite understand. Googling the part number on them would probably have indicated they were in fact encoders within a minute.

I wonder what the post office folks will say when rocketparrotlet brings in the packages for shipment - perhaps they'll refer him to a metal scrap yard ;)

Oh yeah, they can be pretty lame about things they dont quite understand. Googling the part number on them would probably have indicated they were in fact encoders within a minute.

I wonder what the post office folks will say when rocketparrotlet brings in the packages for shipment - perhaps they'll refer him to a metal scrap yard ;)

They don't say much of anything, I just fill out the forms and they ship them. It's not like it's illegal, just kind of strange.

Chemicals here are both hard to obtain for privates, and restricted by laws for at least half of the elements.

For the common substances that can be used in dangerous ways, or that can be also just dangerous themselves, as example, if i want to buy them, i can't ..... need a certification that say that you've followed specific courses for handling them, a certification for industrial use need (that say that you need it for your work in an industrial environment and under health office control, i mean), and you have to sign a special national register each single time that you go to buy one of them, that report all your personal data and all the quantity of any buyed element ..... and for a good part of them, you also have to present documents that certify where and how you used them, quantities, and wrere, how and who managed the related waste material, and the quantities also have to be coherents, you can't sign for 100Kg of mercury, then document waste treatment and disposal of 50, as example .....

and for the other half of the table, selling, buying and use is reserved to universities labs, medical environment, specific industries and research centers, and with much more restrictions than before ..... and other than this, also where the materials are available, they sell you only industrial quantities, or lab sampling ..... mean, as example, 1 Kg minimun of element 99.9% pure for industrial work (at high price), or 1 to 5 grams "extra pure high grade 99,999% sampling quality" elements (at absurd prices :p)

Then i see internet sites like unitednuclear.com, that sell to anyone in the US so much substances that i can just dream to have (and i think i can't buy from them, cause if our custom see words like "sodium", "cesium", "indium", and so on, in the invoice, they send me directly police and NBC squads before also just think "what the hell is that ?" :p) ..... i'm envious, really :D

Where do you live?! That sounds like the USSR!

I'm sorry, but I can't in good conscience sell you anything, I would like to keep things as legal as possible...remember, though, I firmly believe that there is always a way, you just have to find it.

Would this be a good deal? 96 grams for ~25 shipped

TUNGSTEN -High Purity metal element- ROUND BAR #1 - eBay (item 330297018402 end time Jun-25-09 10:22:06 PDT)

Also, I'm interested in leftover gallium, rocketparrotlet

That's an alright deal. It's about what I paid for my tungsten.

I do not yet know how much leftover gallium I have yet, but I will tell you when I find out.

-Mark

Benm

I'm sure its all perfectly legal, but as you say, people may find it strange, perhaps even suspicious.

In fact, in the vast majority of countries, there are very few substances that are regulated by law in regards of production, trade or posession. The US is one of the strictest and most problematic jurisdiction in this regard, since it wants to regulate anything that can be remotely tied to drug manufacture. That goes as far as controlling lithium (containing batteries) as they can be used to extract and synthesize organometallic compounds useful in some synthesis routes towards methamphetamine.

As a chemist i'm inclined to call bullshit on most of it, but lawmakers rarely listen to scientific standpoints.

There's no proof of second hand smoke problems or global warming either but watch the US enforce non-science (nonsence) and tax us all. Where did the ozone hole go ?? y2K bug ??

Mike

There's no proof of second hand smoke problems or global warming either but watch the US enforce non-science (nonsence) and tax us all. Where did the ozone hole go ?? y2K bug ??

Mike

Oh please no. Not this, not here.

Please don't argue over this here, guys, I spend a lot of time checking this thread, and a debate/flamewar raging here would only make things hard for me.

-Mark

HIMNL9

Where do you live?! That sounds like the USSR!

LOL ! ..... if i was in the USSR, then i can be very happy about collecting materials, cause there, is just money problem ..... if you find enough money, you can buy anything there, legal or illegal don't care :p

Unfortunately, i'm in a more "law and rules" so-called-civilized country ..... Italy ..... we're the land of freedom ..... that mean, here you are free to do all that what they permit you to do, in all the ways that they permit you to do :p :D

And, more important thing, all the laws are written in interpretative form, instead that in indicative form, so frequently happens that, as example, in a process, with the same identical proofs, documents, witness and declarations, in first degree one judge say you're guilty for a reason, in the second dregree a different judge say that you're not guilty, in the third degree a third judge say again that you're guilty, but in a different way and for a different reason from the first one, and so on ..... and no, it's not a joke, it happens a lot of time here :(

I'm sorry, but I can't in good conscience sell you anything, I would like to keep things as legal as possible

About this, i agree with you ..... anyway, i've checked and the indium and gallium are not in the "restricted" list, but still i need industrial certification for buy them here, and no small quantities available ..... here, minimum is 1000 grams, and only prepared by order, that means months of waiting time ..... the only problem buying them out country can be, as i said, that custom offices can keep them stopped for months just cause they don't know what the names are, and for sure, they're not in hurry asking for informations ..... six months can be a good indicative time ..... just considerate that for give me my last aixiz modules, (yes, just empty aixiz modules) shipment took 5 days, and stop time in custom office other 14 days (14 DAYS for check what empty aixiz modules was !!!!!) :mad: :gun: :wtf:

..... and i'm still waiting my material from seeedstudio, that i ordered in may, still no info, and same for other things ..... :mad:

Anyway, i don't want to cause you any problems, so, if you decide that you can sell me something, maybe marking invoice as "metal samples for evaluation" or similar, for avoid problema, it's ok, and if, instead, you decide that you can't sell me, or that can cause you problems and don't want to do it, i fully respect your decision. :beer:

EDIT: Problem solved, and you gave me the idea about how ..... ebay, LOL !

I never considered ebay, first, cause searching in my ebay country, i get no results ..... but now i searched from .com site, and found someone that freely sell the same alloy that i usually have to made myself, already done (by the way, this also mean that the damn ebay site censor the searches country by country based, damn them :mad:)

Anyway, sorry if i made you loose time with all my questions, and thanks for the replies ;)

Last edited:
HIMNL9: Good luck with all your projects! I am sorry that I cannot sell you materials, but I think that you should find everything you need on eBay.com. Let me know how it goes!

-Mark

UPDATE: All elements have been weighed and sorted. I will ship them out ASAP, hopefully with in the next 3 days.

Picture attached! Sorry it sucks. Had to shrink it ridiculously to attach it.

-Mark

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 86

HIMNL9

Yes, as i said, i found a seller that have in auction a spool of the same alloy that i usually made myself, 70sn18pb12in (already in wire form, as bonus :D) ..... it's a lot much more of that what i usually use, but patience, mean that it last til the end of my life :p :D

No reason that you have to be sorry, for that, it's not your guilty if my custom offices are so damn ..... well, you know what :D .... and i sure don't want that you have problems, so it's all ok :beer:

Howdy is anyone looking for tungsten or Zirconium or Bismuth I happen to have several hundred grams of each....

Peace Pyro... :eg:

Howdy is anyone looking for tungsten or Zirconium or Bismuth I happen to have several hundred grams of each....

Peace Pyro... :eg:

How much for the tungsten?

--

I have some extra elements left over to sell. I have:

-19 grams gallium
-1 lb. bismuth

If you would like some, just let me know.

EDIT: Remaining elements updated

-Mark

Last edited: