Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hand held projector :)

Hey there!
Just found this post (after finding Rog's homepage and doing some searching). I'd like to build one of these as well - such a great idea!!!!

I read through every post on the thread, and in reference to the last posts I am wondering what the differences are between the glass mirrors from craft stores (which I believe already come cut into circle shapes) and acrylic sheets of mirror that must be cut and sanded...

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed questions and answers to this thread - helped a lot :)

Light and Love,
J

daguin

Hey there!
Just found this post (after finding Rog's homepage and doing some searching). I'd like to build one of these as well - such a great idea!!!!

I read through every post on the thread, and in reference to the last posts I am wondering what the differences are between the glass mirrors from craft stores (which I believe already come cut into circle shapes) and acrylic sheets of mirror that must be cut and sanded...

Also wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed questions and answers to this thread - helped a lot :)

Light and Love,
J

You need to use "first surface" or "front surface" mirrors. The "sheet" is probably a first surface mirror.

If you use "normal" mirrors (second surface), you get a reflection off of the first surface of the glass AND the second mirrored surface at the rear. This confuses the shapes and makes them look very "messy."

Peace,
dave

Okay thanks for the clarification.

So basically, the mirrored surface has to be facing front - would something like mirror film C P Films, Inc. PRS361 Privacy Mirror Window Film

work? So I could have a pre-made circle and then put the film over it?

I do a lot of work with epoxy resins to make pendants (Shamanic Harmonics – Psychedelic Art & Jewelry Laboratory for examples of my stuff - be warned it has a psychedelic slant to it) Basically I pour epoxy resin into molds and then pop them out and they come out exactly the shape of the mold.

I'm wondering if I could make my own acrylic mirrors (acrylic I think is identical to epoxy/resin - but not sure), I could make molds just the right size and then not have to cut out from sheets...

I'm probably just re-inventing the wheel here though, just seeing things through the glasses of my own knowledge and experience (of which I have not much of either with lasers :))

daguin

Okay thanks for the clarification.

So basically, the mirrored surface has to be facing front - would something like mirror film C P Films, Inc. PRS361 Privacy Mirror Window Film

work? So I could have a pre-made circle and then put the film over it?

I do a lot of work with epoxy resins to make pendants (Shamanic Harmonics – Psychedelic Art & Jewelry Laboratory for examples of my stuff - be warned it has a psychedelic slant to it) Basically I pour epoxy resin into molds and then pop them out and they come out exactly the shape of the mold.

I'm wondering if I could make my own acrylic mirrors (acrylic I think is identical to epoxy/resin - but not sure), I could make molds just the right size and then not have to cut out from sheets...

I'm probably just re-inventing the wheel here though, just seeing things through the glasses of my own knowledge and experience (of which I have not much of either with lasers :))

Front surface mirror materials are readily available and easily obtainable. It is not necessary to make your own.

Peace,
dave