Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: ***MXDL Custom Machined Heatsinks***

jayrob

Re: ***MXDL Custom Machined Heatsinks***

amk, here is a link to some 18650 batteries:  
http://www.batteryjunction.com/li18322mahre.html
You can see in the description that they are 67mm long.  

But, even if there is only a couple of mm difference, it won't matter. The MXDL tail switch has a spring loaded brass contact. It gives you over 1/8" of movement there. Or, if the battery is just a 'hair' short, you can easily use a small flat magnet on the negative end of the battery. But the chargers that I have are the same fit for 18650 and 17670 battery length.

So, like I said before, I am sure that the 17670 batteries will fit perfectly into the MXDL. Even though I have not personally tried them. I think that the 14650's would be too 'sloppy' and loose inside. You would have to wrap them with tape or paper to keep them from rattling around...
Jay

jayrob

Now, back to the heatsinks...
acro-ii, and bcroft, your heatsinks are ready. I will be dropping them off at the post office in a few minutes. You should have them by around Tuesday or Wednesday. Let me know how you like them!

You will need a 1.5mm Allen wrench for the set screw. Do not try to use any other size.

bcroft, yours is 1/8" shorter at the bottom per your request, to give you a little more room inside...
Jay

Attachments

• heatsinks.jpeg
    heatsinks.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 127

bcroft

looks sweet, thanks jay. i wont get my MXDL for another 2 weeks though. dad gum DX shipping

jayrob said:
amk, here is a link to some 18650 batteries:  
http://www.batteryjunction.com/li18322mahre.html
You can see in the description that they are 67mm long.  

But, even if there is only a couple of mm difference, it won't matter. The MXDL tail switch has a spring loaded brass contact. It gives you over 1/8" of movement there. Or, if the battery is just a 'hair' short, you can easily use a small flat magnet on the negative end of the battery. But the chargers that I have are the same fit for 18650 and 17670 battery length.

So, like I said before, I am sure that the 17670 batteries will fit perfectly into the MXDL. Even though I have not personally tried them. I think that the 14650's would be too 'sloppy' and loose inside. You would have to wrap them with tape or paper to keep them from rattling around...
Jay

JAY:

They are longer by 2 mm because of theprotection circuit. so, if 1767's are 67mm long, + the protection circuit = 69mm. that is too loong! once again, descriptions are read liek this:

18 witdth
65 lenght
0 doesnt stand for anything

so, thats why you will have a tight and barely "fit" fit with 17670's. the 14650's are AA width, + the wrapping, which would bring it to exactly CR123 width. the wrapping on the 17670's would make it too fat. also, the length of the 17670's + the protetion circuits would make it an impossible fit. 14650's will fit, and they wont be loose and sloppy.

jayrob

amk, really now, why are you talking about a single 3.6 volt battery in this 'MXDL heatsink' thread? A single battery with an AMC driver will only give you a little over 200mW's. (open can) And also, you would have to isolate the LD/heatsink. It seems that the goal is 250mW's or more here. For that, you will need to use 2 X RCR123 batteries (DDL driver) in the MXDL...
Jay

jayrob said:
amk, really now, why are you talking about a single 3.6 volt battery in this 'MXDL heatsink' thread? A single battery with an AMC driver will only give you a little over 200mW's. And also, you would have to isolate the LD/heatsink. It seems that the goal is 250mW's or more here. For that, you will need to use 2 X RCR123 batteries (DDL driver) in the MXDL...
Jay

that is true, the DDL at 420mA is the way to go.

I really dont see why anyone would want 3.6v in a MXDL anyways, unless they plan on using AMC's, and wrapping the heatsink in electrical tape.

I just didnt want anone buying a battery and then not being able ti fit it.

If i was to give you 2 dimensions, a diameter and a thickness could you make me one? it doesnt need any beaveled edges. All i need is a 1cm thick heat sink which will fit a aixiz diode(pressed in). Let me know.

jayrob

I suppose we could try that. However, I would need a drawing with very specific dimensions, including diameters as well. Like the picture which shows the exact dimensions of my design, that I posted earlier in this thread. I would follow your drawing, and turn the diameters just a 'hair' smaller. The only thing is, if it needs some adjustment, you can't expect me to be responsible for shipping costs...
Jay

Oh wait a minute...You said 1cm thick? That's like 1/3 of an inch. For my little lathe, I don't think that is enough length for the chuck to grip good enough to have it 'spin true'.

I really would rather not get involved with new designs man. I can tell you that you would not be dissappointed with the MXDL host. And they are only $12 bucks! Free shipping too.

jayrob said:
I suppose we could try that. However, I would need a drawing with very specific dimensions, including diameters as well. Like the picture which shows the exact dimensions of my design, that I posted earlier in this thread. I would follow your drawing, and turn the diameters just a 'hair' smaller. The only thing is, if it needs some adjustment, you can't expect me to be responsible for shipping costs...
Jay

Oh wait a minute...You said 1cm thick? That's like 1/3 of an inch. For my little lathe, I don't think that is enough length for the chuck to grip good enough to have it 'spin true'.

I really would rather not get involved with new designs man. I can tell you that you would not be dissappointed with the MXDL host. And they are only $12 bucks! Free shipping too.

yea the MXDL is truly a good host!

BTW, jay, my battery contact PCB is making contact with the + on the batts, but I am not getting any -... I figured if I glue/solder a wire from the pcb to the aluminum it would work, how did you do yours?

jayrob

yea the MXDL is truly a good host!

BTW, jay, my battery contact PCB is making contact with the + on the batts, but I am not getting any -... I figured if I glue/solder a wire from the pcb to the aluminum it would work, how did you do yours?

I like to solder a piece of solid wire to the outside (negative) ring of the PCB, then bend it over the edge so that when you 'press' the board into place, it pinches tight against the threaded mount. This picture shows a picture of a different driver in the MXDL Cree mod, but is it the same principal of what I like to do with the MXDL laser mod...
Jay

Attachments

• Cree_Q5_Emitter_001.jpg
    Cree_Q5_Emitter_001.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 133

Here, have a look at this. Tell me if either are a possible option.

heatsinkqb7.jpg

If you were to make them for me and they happen to be the wrong size, i wouldnt waste any more of your time on new dimensions so let me know if you can make this happen.

Thanks champ.

SargeMX5 said:

heatsinkqb7.jpg

If you were to make them for me and they happen to be the wrong size, i wouldnt waste any more of your time on new dimensions so let me know if you can make this happen.

Thanks champ.

why not make little threads in the bottom piece, deep threads, liek fins. heatsinking is all about surface area, not mass. so if you have a round heatsink, and another exact same heatsink, only with fins cut into it, the one with the fins has more heatsinking.

just a suggestion, it all depends on what you want and what the machineist is comfortable with.

regards,

amk

Its is for heatsinking, but the main reason i am after them is that it will be able to better hold the aixiz module over a washer. The washer method is irritating because i cant find a washer exact size i need it so i have to sit there dremeling them.

My dad plans to one day get a lathe for what he does but thats not for a while. I got some tools at home that i can use to modify the heatsink and put threads and what not into it.

jayrob

SargeMX5 said:

heatsinkqb7.jpg

Thanks champ.

Ok, I'll make you one to try. I would like to drill it out a 'hair' larger than the module though, and use a set screw. You can use just a little thermal compound. It's better than the pressed in style, because it's easier to replace the module/LD when necessary. The other thing is, it is very difficult to get the pressed in style sized correctly. I do believe that there is some variance in the size of the AixiZ modules as well. So, just tell me which one you would like, and designate where you would like the set screw. Then, PM me with your shipping address. At that point, I will let you know the total price, and my PayPal e-mail...
Jay

I am going to order one later this week. It looks great! ;D I only have a couple questions...

- Are the heat sinks for the Aixiz and the Merideth modules the same? Or do are they different?

- What type of battery do you recommend for for this using a DDL LM317 based driver?

- How much thermal paste should I use? I've heard that too much can actually make it worse. :-/

This looks like a GREAT heat sink and I am very exited about ordering one soon! ;D