Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Will this driver work with this diode?

The driver is adjustable from 0 - 580ma. Look at your diodes spec sheet and see if the diode can be run within those current range. At first glance it looks like it will be under powering the diode, but I do not have experience with 808 diodes, so I can't be sure with out a spec sheet.

It'll work, but the output will be about 1/2W. You can use two drivers in parallel to get the current you want. Better to build your own though.

Edi

I don't have the diode yet but I'm thinking of getting something like this:
808nm diode | eBay

I need about 1.2A for max power so I guess it wont work.

What would I need to build my own driver? I have a basic idea of how to do it but have never built one.

I would try getting this diode
It is 500 mW diode which is pretty good, and you can use the driver you found at about 400-450 mA.
Correct me if I'm wrong but in theory it should work well.

Edi

I really don't think there is a point in getting a 500mw for $22 when I can get a 1W for $12. If I put either one together with that driver I'll get the same amount of power out and maybe a bit more out of the 1W.

But I'm thinking just for starters, since I've never built an 808nm, I'll get one of the 300mw diodes for $4 and put it together with the driver. Maybe I'll make the 1W after I get the 300mw to work.
I actually have the 300mw right now but I did something really stupid and I think I fried it. How would I tell if I fried it? cuz they're kinda invisible and it's hard to tell. is there any way to test it before I buy a new one?

Do you have the appropriate safety glasses for this laser?

Get an old phone and run the diode, put the phone on camera mode and it will be easy to tell if its outputting IR. Alternatively you can use an old camera, webcam or anything with a camera that does not have an IR filter on it.

Edi

I don't have goggles for it. I was thinking of getting some before starting the project but I looked on ebay and they're expensive. I got 405nm-532nm goggles for $20 but the lowest I found for 808nm was $40.
Any place I can get a pair for cheap?