Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What's the scariest PC game you've ever played?

ped

Great post Traveller.

I'd forgotten about a lot of them , Iv'e even got a copy AVP , might have to get that on again.

Also, I STILL play UT2004 GOTY , and there are still 100's if not 1000's of online game servers active.

I liked FEAR and Amnesia, but I'm pretty disappointed that FEAR3 crashes anytime it tried to go to cut-scene. I blame the game being made for those damn consoles first and the superior platform (computers) second. FEAR 1 was better than FEAR 2 in my mind, maybe because of the novelty of the game's horror mechanics.

Amnesia did a great job of making you run and hide, and the confusing feeling in dreams where you're running through the dark everything is hard to see. Try going through the game with no candles too.

One of the scarier moments in a game happened in DOOM 3, but not because the developers planned it. Generally, DOOM 3 had pretty lame and predictable action, but on one occasion there was a lighting bug where for some reason the entire area was completely black and the flashlight didn't work at all. It wasn't one of those sections where it wasn't supposed to work, because it still turned on, but the lighting on the surfaces didn't work. So I had to scramble around trying to make it to some light source in the distance all the while hearing all these weird noises and fearing I would be attacked. The same feeling occurs a bit in Amnesia, so that's a pretty good effect.

I tried playing Condemned Criminal Origins, but the fact that it was made for 4:3 screens and doesn't change the field of view for wide screens gives me slight motion sickness (the same way with HL2) which I don't enjoy.

Last edited:

ped

^^ Well..

In DOOM 2 (ultimate edition?) , in quiet scenes , the ghostly sound these things make when they catch sight of you got me every time.

dm2gh23.png

Who remebers installing WAD's ? :)

I've played DOOM 2 with friends on our office LAN as late as 2005 or so. We even had a map of our office. Good stuff!

Zeebit

I do not consider the Dead Space and Half Life series to be scary. I get surprised at some points but its not scary enough. I still think Amnesia is the scariest, IMO.

dm2gh23.png

Who remebers installing WAD's ? :)
I-do-I-do!!!
But those days are long gone. I'd be really amazed if you could even get AvP to work. With some luck, maybe AvP2 (not that it would be worth it). As for Doom, I bought it along with Doom II, Duke Nukem and yes, the very first "3D" game ever, Wolfenstein - for my GBA (/DS) ;) I even have Wing Commander Prophecy for the GBA/DS :D

But the best day I had was finding Atari's Astreroids, Battlezone, Centipede & Tempest, as well as Midway's Defender... ! I must have bought more rolls of quarters than the entire Chicago families combined... :crackup:

The kids playing Crysis 3 couldn't possibly imagine the excitement of a new and "must-play" arcade game down at the local arcades... those were the days... making it to the high-score board :beer:

I remember trying to play DOOM 1 on my old 386sx 16mhz... I had to play it with a tiny window about 64x48px in size to make it run at even a usable level. Wolf3D worked pretty well though and it was fun making levels for it too. I could fit the entire game (the full version!) on a few 3.5" floppies too.

The funny thing about Wolf3D is that it is still more extreme in its graphics than virtually any game out there now, if only because they actually show swastikas, etc. which would get almost any game out now banned from many markets.

Wolf3D is a good game, I like it... simpler times :)

As for scarry, pretty sure theirs a minecraft mod for that ;)
typically not considered a scarry game, but its a false sense of security. I've lostit a few times jumping out of my chair walking around a corner to find a creeper where I was just standing.

I thought it was pretty creepy getting chased by those Pacman Ghosts in that secret level of Wolf 3D. No, I am not joking.

Fiddy

When i was like 10 years old, played Silent Hill on PS1, at night, that static on the baby monitor will haunt me for ever.

DJNY

In case you haven´t, you should try out Amnesia, Dead Space (1-2), FEAR, Cry of Fear, Condemned, Penumbra, maybe Limbo sometimes.

Had my best time with Dead Space 1, I love it getting rid of too big monsters without any weapons :)

Get yourself a good pair of headsets, I´m very happy with my Sony Pulse, and darkness.

Last edited:

ped

Get yourself a good pair of headsets, I´m very happy with my Sony Pulse, and darkness.

Your MAD!

I played F.E.A.R once on a pair of headphones, in darkess.

I emphasise once , i NEVER did it again :can:

8-bit Pong...The anticipation of that bar FINALLY crossing the B&W screen, while you tried desperately to line up your paddle was crippling!