Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What goes into making a heatsink

Many of us know how to draft up a part to specifications devised from the books or literally out of the blue, but drafting alone is an addition process.
Actually turning out a part by hand is a reduction process, that is... things must go in a certain order or it will either never work or it will only under great difficulty.

I admire those who DIY down to this level, and those who mastered machining BEFORE they went into designing. Only they can design products that can be easy to produce AND aesthestically pleasing :)

well done bobhaha, thank you for posting this!

Last edited:

heres a 6 diode holder/heatsink i made

takes about 5 hours to make

its milled from a single block of aluminium, recessed holes at the back for the diodes, threaded lens holes at the front, threaded mounting holes in the bottom and a plate at the back to hold the diodes in place. hole heights are off set by 4.5mm each to allow for beam stacking.

aluminium cost £10, my time costs £15 an hour

20110801_006Large.jpg

20110801_008Large.jpg

20110801_007Large.jpg

You can also save some time by doing the same step 50 times, in the end you have 50 heat sinks :D

Really cool vid!, i can really recognize myself in it ( especially the hacksaw part :p )

I wish I could really work that fast. 16x speed.:eek:
Dont you have a fast forward button on your lathe? Mine even has a pause and play button:D

Really cool vid!, i can really recognize myself in it ( especially the hacksaw part :p )

Dont you have a fast forward button on your lathe? Mine even has a pause and play button:D

I remember doing that as well, it gets tiring when you cut 20 or 30 of them in one sitting.

i have a portable band saw now that was $75 at harbor freight, it works great and is well worth the price.

come to think of it, everything in my basement is from harbor freight.

I remember doing that as well, it gets tiring when you cut 20 or 30 of them in one sitting.

i have a portable band saw now that was $75 at harbor freight, it works great and is well worth the price.

come to think of it, everything in my basement is from harbor freight.

Yea i should either get a nice thin cut-off tool or use the band saw on my work. A smal band saw for at home might be a good idea for me to, will have to check how expensive those are here..

Using a hacksaw can become pretty dangerous if it gets stuck, got some pretty scars on my hand from that:p

at least you've never done this :D

I saw that vid on tosh.o once, i still laugh evertime i see it:p ghehehe what a newb:D

But really, lathes can be a deadtrap
I remember on school a guy was forcing the cutting bit to hard in a piece of steel after which the cutting bit broke and almost completely shot trough a door! Good thing i was trying to make ninja stars on the other side of the room:p

@fiddy

From what Saw movie was that scene?:p

But omg that looks morbid O_O

Last edited:
Last edited:
yeah it's real.
Those gore sites are oddly addicting and they also make you lose hope in humanity, and feel lucky to live in an civilized country.....

Are they Real.?:eek: I Would think so if they showed you them at work.:eek:

What was he doing before he ended up like that.:eek:

Thats Crazy.

You can see in the picture his jumper and shirt got stuck in the jaw / work piece and twisted up.... bad way to go. :banghead:

@Moh, yeah his a douche.... he's trying to stop the lathes jaw by holding it back with the chuck key.... Yeah that will always work out great :thinking:

Last edited: