Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Vintage Non-Laser Pointers

Eidetical

In the "post your vintage pointers" thread, I posted a pic of a couple of schoolroom wooden stick pointers to make a point, but thought it may not be appropriate for the thread. Besides lasers, I've collected a number of other kinds of pointers including flashlight pointers, planetarium pointers, and pointer sticks, and extending pointers. The oldest planetarium pointer I've found to date is this one made by C.P. Richter around 1954. The linked pages from a journal from that year includes a new product introduction for it on page 111, saying it was made for use at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago.

Richter Pointer.jpg

Eidetical

Flashlight pointers use a lens to focus a lamp's filament onto a screen. Those made by Rowi used a proprietary lamp with an arrow-shaped filament. This one made by Williams, Brown & Earle has a classy design with its chromed extension, boat switch, and smaller diameter lens. It used a lamp with a linear filament.

WB&E Perfection (1).jpg

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Not a laser but can be laser related. I can check laser dye solutions etc. I recently picked up a old English spectrophotometer, as my workplace were going to chuck it out and get it collected by a metal scrap man. Its now under my desk in my department instead. There's no way that was going for scrap. It's too big and heavy for me to take home though unfortunately. So it will remain living at work until I find a better arrangement.

Information is loose, but it appears to be a 1970's unit. Possible range 220-750nm. And its already considered a museum piece.

1659349201816.png
1659349228283.png

Me testing the monochromator to see what different wavelengths look like. :p

1659349276323.png
1659349294973.png

Flashlight pointers use a lens to focus a lamp's filament onto a screen. Those made by Rowi used a proprietary lamp with an arrow-shaped filament. This one made by Williams, Brown & Earle has a classy design with its chromed extension, boat switch, and smaller diameter lens. It used a lamp with a linear filament.

View attachment 74866
That would be a sweet host for a laser!!