Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UV questions

I just remembered that a friend of mine and I built a nitrogen UV laser years ago. It involved high voltage, a spark gap and a couple plates with the gas inside. It was very noisy but put out a flashing "light" which would light things up across the room.

Mike

has anyone ever had a razer copperhead mouse, and looked at the bottom side of it? i dont have it with me right now, but i think its 323nm (says it right on the bottom). as far as the dangers of UV go, yes i think you could cause cancer with it if you held it to your skin for a long period of time, but i think the overall danger would be less - pretty much all glass filters UV, so you would have a hard time hurting your eyes with it. and the nice thing about melanoma - skin cancer cause by UV- is that its the least dangerous form of cancer, and if youre looking for it, is pretty much guaranteed not to kill you. that being said, an IR burn is just a burn, and its much less worse than cancer, but i would rather have melanoma than no eyeballs.
-FITF

k-9

yes uv can dangerous even for your eyes. i use a uv light at work in the summer for ac leak detection even when useing the goggles i have had a flash burn like symptom does not feel good