Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultimate cheap charger? Or cheap crappy junk?

rhd

The jury is still out, but I've got one of these en route, and the description promises a lot. Here's the nutshell for anyone that wants the quick info:

- After shipping, it comes to about $10
- Charges basically every standard size (10440, 16340, 14500, 18650, etc)
- Charges basically every chemistry (NIMH, NICD, Alkaline Rechargeable, Li-ion, LiFePo4)
- In other words, it supports 1.2V / 1.5V / 3.6V / 4.2V
- Four (4) independent charging channels.
- Works on 110 or 220V wall power
- Ugly as hell

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...4&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:CA:1123#ht_2970wt_1163
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1412WWW.jpg
    1412WWW.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 514

sinner

I dont think its ugly unless it works.. :D its a great deal anyways.. if they say it works on all those modes, it is very useful..

jimdt7

Nice find probably the cheapest charger ever. I think its ugly because it is made from recycled materials. Dont forget to review it.

+1 for you find (whenever i can) :beer:

Jim

Last edited:
its a good idea but i never use nicd or nimh so its not really very helpful to me

one day i think im going to make a charger using one of those high quality rc plane/helicopter chargers. im thinking its the best way to go

A little low output current...

And:

"DO NOT PLACE THE WRONG CHARGING MODE,
OR IT WILL CAUSE THE BATTERY LEAKAGE OR BOMB. "

rhd

A little low output current...

And:

"DO NOT PLACE THE WRONG CHARGING MODE,
OR IT WILL CAUSE THE BATTERY LEAKAGE OR BOMB. "

I don't think so?

1,200mA for one cell, and it drops to 600, 400, or 300 depending on the number of additional cells you charge. You get 300mA with four cells, which isn't that much lower than the crazy $30+ SYSMAX charger (which I think can do 500mA). Plus, at 1,200 for one cell, it's actually higher output current than the SYSMAX. So it's slightly better when charging one cell, and slightly worse when charging 4.

Also, the "bomb" concern applies to ALL chargers. If you charge a LifePo4 in a li-ion charger, you're in trouble.

Admittedly, I don't understand your suggestion. Why would you take the electronics out of one charger, and put it into another charger? (in fact, how would that even work?)

I wanted to recommend just an Imax/Accucell charger, but then I realised you would still need a holder for the batteries. I also said "hook it up", I didn't say "put it in" ;)

The Accucell (and clones) are quite cheap and they are great value for money. They are fairly accurate. They allow different cut-off voltages, you can set the current, you can check cell capacity etc..

I've had some of the 220V cheapie Li-Ion chargers and they don't last. The reason is inefficient AC/DC circuits that generates heat and sometimes even pop the smoothing capacitors if left switched on too long. (Happened to one of mine)

Benm

I have serious doubts about the quality of this charger. From the description it seems like it charges with a constant voltage, which you can set using a switch. Also it seems to be limited to 1200 mAh divided over however many batteries are inserted.

This may work well for charging a couple of NiCd/NiMH cells if you take them out in time, but i don't think its a good idea to use this on lithiums of either chemistry - especially unprotected ones.

rhd

I have serious doubts about the quality of this charger. From the description it seems like it charges with a constant voltage, which you can set using a switch. Also it seems to be limited to 1200 mAh divided over however many batteries are inserted.

This may work well for charging a couple of NiCd/NiMH cells if you take them out in time, but i don't think its a good idea to use this on lithiums of either chemistry - especially unprotected ones.

It says:
"Support Battery Voltage: 1.2V /1.5V/3.6V /4.2V"

How does that imply anything different than:

"Output 4.2V 500Ma"
For - 18650 17670 14500 16340 CR123 TrustFire battery charger - Battery Chargers

"Charger Output: DC 4.2V, 600mAh"
For - TrustFire TrustFire 18650 Li-ion Battery Double Charger with 2 x 2400mAh TF 18650 PCB Batteries, Australia - DinoDirect.com

Or the description attached to pretty much any other charger?

Last edited:

Ablaze

Well, I am not exactly a battery expert, but it is my understanding that different chemistrys of battery must cut off the charging at different amounts of impedance. Charging a battery too quickly at the wrong time can lead to fire.

From what I have heard Li-ion overheat easily when they are low charge and so must be charged slower when practically drained. I believe NiMh batteries are the opposite. I would not user a battery charger that claimed to do both unless it had a switch on it somewhere that allowed you to select type.

rhd

I would not user a battery charger that claimed to do both unless it had a switch on it somewhere that allowed you to select type.

....which is exactly what this charger has on it ;)

Ablaze

Ahhh.. I see that now. Thanks for the thread rhd. The price is right, however I must complain that this would not go with my decor. In fact, this is ugly enough to make me want to hide it from guests! :p