Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial I needed a AAA spacer

Tutorial
How to make a dummy spacer for use in a 2xAAA pointer when using a 10440 Li-ion for about a buck
Things you need
A PILOT easy touch fine pen.
Fine saw or serrated knife
Aluminum foil 6”x3” piece
AWG 18 solid copper wire or multi strand
Small flathead screw driver
Large driver with a square bit
12”x12” piece of cloth
120 grit emery
Drill or Dremel like device
1mm drill bit
Black sharpie

Take the pen apart and cut a 43mm piece off the clear piece. Use the threaded end

Sand the cut end square

Cut 1”x6”” strips out of the foil, fold and lightly twist the foil to fit

Using the small screwdriver push the strips of foil into the pen

Every 3 pushes pound the foil to compress it. s
When you get halfway, fold the cloth and put the piece on it and realy pound on the driver. This will make the foil extend past the edge of the tube.

When you get to the last strip be sure to leave a tab to fold into on the strip before it.

Make it as compressed as you can, don’t use a hammer or you will crack the piece. It should look like this

Next put the emery on a flat surface and sand down the end that you put the foil in,not the end that the foil protrudes from. Do this till the piece is 42.28mm or as close as you can, a little longer is better than short. Sand any rough edges and make sure the foil wont touch the side of the case when used.
Almost finished

No pics of the drilling, I don’t want aluminum dust in the house
Drill a hole the length of the piece in the center or close to it.
Slide the bare copper wire through the piece cut it 1mm out from each end.
Put it on a hard surface and pound it flush with one end and remember one end sticks out slightly.
The copper wire is needed as the aluminum has about 2 ohms of resistance because of multi contact points. Even if you use a single piece of foil this will still happen.
Now paint it with the sharpie and you’re done.

This all took about 25 minutes
This one gave a resistance reading of 0.01 Ohms
When you use it put the sanded side towards the spring to be sure to make good contact.
I did it this way ,as it was all I had on hand
:beer:

6/16/2013
UPDATE
The unit works fine, but after reading the posts below, I realized the German in me was coming out.
I needed another one so this time I took 12AWG cord cut it to length 4 pieces, striped off the insulation about .100 on each end. Taped the four together and pushed the exposed wire into the center area. works fine, took 5 minutes and cost les than 20 cents.

here's a pic

Last edited:

daguin

Good use of what you had on hand, but I much prefer something a bit more solid in there

Peace,
dave

I cut a wooden dowel to length. Use a piece of wire to span the length and fasten it at either end with a brass tack. Costs <$5 for like 10 of them, and takes maybe 5 minutes to make.

daguin

For either AAA or AA size, I just cut off a bolt to length and then use some heat shrink for the outside insulation
You could even get away with simply wrapping the outside with electrical tape

Above AA size, I use the dowel and wire technique or get an actual dummy battery

Peace,
dave

Nice tutorial. I have used a piece of metal rod in the past, inserted inside a marker pen. Heres a pic of it:

37764d1335735952-cheap-ebay-pointers-some-interesting-lpm-results-_dm45917.jpg

Actually made it to test some ebay pens with a single 10440. +1 for the write up though! :beer:

I just cut a PC power cord to length, put self-tapping wooden screws in both ends. Probably adds a decent amount of resistance, but for a device that is looking for 3V and seeing 4.2V, maybe is not such a bad thing.

Probably adds a decent amount of resistance, but for a device that is looking for 3V and seeing 4.2V, maybe is not such a bad thing.

I was thinking along those lines too," am I killing these cheap pen lasers with these batteries?" So I just did a test, I hooked one of the pens to a new 9v battery and ran it for a timed 3 1/2 minutes. It got fairly warm, but not to were I would say hot. Still runs fine on three volts. So I think we can getaway with using 10440 batteries in our pens. It may shorten their life spans though.

Pman

Fattech has extremely cheap AAA and AA spacers. 2 for 89 cents I believe:)
Have made plenty of my own but have never seen them cheaper than Fasttech.

Last edited:

kilter

that's true Pman, I think that that is better than A homemade one and more reliable.

How long does it take to ship a homemade spacer you made to yourself? I think fasttech takes longer than a few seconds to get to you.

pman, i looked on fasttech last night or the night before for spacers but didnt find anything under $5 iirc, have any links?

I'm happy to report that after hours of use; both spacers are working great with 100% reliability.

Last edited:

Pman

I've made plenty of spacers from magnets and bolts that I then use shrink tubing over when I've needed too but now that I've found an extremely cheap source for them I just stock up so I don't have to make them. Never seen anything cheaper and it still says free shipping. Suggest you buy a bunch so you have some stock of them. I'm all for ingenuity but I would rather not make them when I can get ones like these.

Why you didn't find them is becuase they are in 2 different spots and are not called spacers:) They are called "placeholders" I like the yellow as you will know at a glance that they are dummy cells.
2 Batteries (Battery Feature: Dummy Placeholder) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
OR
4 Batteries (Battery Form Factor: AAA (Placeholder)) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
4 Batteries (Battery Form Factor: AA (Placeholder)) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Code BLF always works for me at 5% off.

Last edited:
ahhh i search aaa spacer, aaa dummy, aaa EVERYTHING! lol thanks for that +1 when i can

EDIT: guess ive spread enough love to give you some more so added :)

Last edited: