Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Zeus are here!

Looks like it is threaded for your starcaps which are typically the same threads as the 3XBE and as long as there's 25mm in the clear between the crowns perimeter/raised edge then the beam expander will fit and that will let you light fireworks at 15-20 feet, you have to hold still or brace the unit and have a little patience the further away you are but it will make a noticeable difference, if your collimating lens is in a M9x0.5 barrel then you can trade it out for a G8 which is a longer FL than the typical 3 element although yours looks a bit like a single element but it's hard to tell, if it's a G2 or other short FL single element then switching to a G8 will make a big difference in how far you can reach to do work.

NDB7K75 same as NDB7875 is a good diode good for about 3W when overdriven at 2.4A but if you want a stronger one get a NDB7A75 good for 5W while there still around as all aforementioned diodes are discontinued but still around from pulls, 7A has higher divergence but not as bad as the 44 and works well with a long FL collimating lens and beam expander for tasks such as lighting fireworks.

Of course it goes without saying that lighting fireworks via. laser needs to be done safely and although I'm sure you know that I always feel the need to say it for any novice readers who may take a liking to the concept, enjoy. 🍺

Encap

ManCave: You probably meant NDG7475 1W 520nm green diode.
There is no NDB(B as in Blue))7475 green diode. If that is what the seller said he made the mistake or doesn't know and passed a misunderstanding on to you

ManCave

Looks like it is threaded for your starcaps which are typically the same threads as the 3XBE and as long as there's 25mm in the clear between the crowns perimeter/raised edge then the beam expander will fit and that will let you light fireworks at 15-20 feet, you have to hold still or brace the unit and have a little patience the further away you are but it will make a noticeable difference, if your collimating lens is in a M9x0.5 barrel then you can trade it out for a G8 which is a longer FL than the typical 3 element although yours looks a bit like a single element but it's hard to tell, if it's a G2 or other short FL single element then switching to a G8 will make a big difference in how far you can reach to do work.

NDB7K75 same as NDB7875 is a good diode good for about 3W when overdriven at 2.4A but if you want a stronger one get a NDB7A75 good for 5W while there still around as all aforementioned diodes are discontinued but still around from pulls, 7A has higher divergence but not as bad as the 44 and works well with a long FL collimating lens and beam expander for tasks such as lighting fireworks.

Of course it goes without saying that lighting fireworks via. laser needs to be done safely and although I'm sure you know that I always feel the need to say it for any novice readers who may take a liking to the concept, enjoy. 🍺
Thank you Cowboy.

Most of what you just said has gone like... whoosh!

But, I am willing to learn and I am sure with time, and help from you guys, it won’t be too long before I make an attempt at modifying this pair.

I’m glad de diodes he has used are of reasonable quality as the price was about 400$ for the pair. Or maybe I paid way too much? Let me know...

It will be good to measure the real power output, so I can write a review. If anyone wants to help with that, it will be great, I am happy to drive for a couple of hours from London, and I’ll buy the beers!

Will check out the 3xBX.

Where can I get one? Sanwu is having a lot of problems with the Hong Kong protests.

Will be safe, I promise. ;)

@Encup.
Just copy and pasted what he sent me. He must have made a typo.
‘Cheers.

Snecho

Congrats MC! You actually got the green one too. If it really is 1W you got a really nice laser despite the back door deal.

Again, I just want to reiterate to everyone that this is the Thor H2 from laserpointerstore.com, re-labeled as Zeus. For clarity purposes.
That said, I'm interested to see if they made any slight changes to it.

Either way, they look very nice and I hope you enjoy your new weapons toys :)
I have a Thor M2 445nm 1.6W coming myself as my first "real" laser. :)

Blah, blah, blah...

And so the most suspenseful tale we've had in a while is coming to an end...

Happy Halloween everyone.

Cheers. 🍻

ManCave

Congrats MC! You actually got the green one too. If it really is 1W you got a really nice laser despite the back door deal.

Again, I just want to reiterate to everyone that this is the Thor H2 from laserpointerstore.com, re-labeled as Zeus. For clarity purposes.
That said, I'm interested to see if they made any slight changes to it.

Either way, they look very nice and I hope you enjoy your new weapons toys :)
I have a Thor M2 445nm 1.6W coming myself as my first "real" laser. :)

Blah, blah, blah...

And so the most suspenseful tale we've had in a while is coming to an end...

Happy Halloween everyone.

Cheers. 🍻
Yep, so far I’m happy, let’s see what an LPM says.

Do Post pictures and your impressions when you get yours and maybe we can compare notes with the Zeus.

That was my first ever back door deal on ebay, so I’m chuffed it has turned out ok.
And it is Hallowing... We must have a bit of suspense! 😂

Thank you BowTie.
They sure look the part. I’m curious myself to find out how much power they pump out.
The batteries are the chinese 4000mah cheapo stuff, and I have no clue how much current can be drained out of them. I shall get a couple of branded pairs with at least 40A drain and compare out put with those too.
Just need some one close by with an LMP... Anyone?
I'd contact the company for a refund because they sent you the wrong laser.
See here
The HLONS (HMMWV Laser Ordnance Neutralization System), commonly known as ZEUS, is a solid-state laser weapon which is used by the U.S. military in order to neutralize surface land mines and unexploded ordnance. The ZEUS-HLONS system was a co-operative effort between Sparta Inc and NAVEODTECHDIV (Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division) to demonstrate that a moderate-power commercial solid state laser (SSL) and beam control system could be integrated onto a Humvee (HMMWV) and used to clear surface mines, improvised explosive devices (IEDs), or unexploded ordnance from supply routes and minefields.

Start video at about 3 minutes .

ManCave

I'd contact the company for a refund because they sent you the wrong laser.
See here
The HLONS (HMMWV Laser Ordnance Neutralization System), commonly known as ZEUS, is a solid-state laser weapon which is used by the U.S. military in order to neutralize surface land mines and unexploded ordnance. The ZEUS-HLONS system was a co-operative effort between Sparta Inc and NAVEODTECHDIV (Naval Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technology Division) to demonstrate that a moderate-power commercial solid state laser (SSL) and beam control system could be integrated onto a Humvee (HMMWV) and used to clear surface mines, improvised explosive devices (IEDs), or unexploded ordnance from supply routes and minefields.

Start video at about 3 minutes .
I thought that for a multi KW laser, it was taking much too long to burn through that cd case.
Will be having strong words with the seller about this, the cheeky bastard! 😂

Encap

I’m glad de diodes he has used are of reasonable quality as the price was about 400$ for the pair. Or maybe I paid way too much? Let me know...

You could have done worse on price and paid more. Resellers are resellers but at least you have some lasers that work/are ok albeit low end mass produced and therefore a real world basis for actual hand on experience with/knowledge of current generation of laser pointers.
That's more than several LPF noobs have which is all just imagination/imaginary playing pretend/as if they offer other than useless comment of no value on LPF, just for attention.
Good luck with them--enjoy.

You paid about double what you could get them for on a 1 piece of each basis directly from China, FOB China see:
See: https://lmlaser.en.alibaba.com/prod...tml?spm=a2700.icbuShop.41413.9.3e0091a9EgfWF3
and
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ml?spm=a2700.7724857.2017115.8.17e15e93CdqKyL

You could have had them imprinted "ManCave laser" instead of Zeus .

Last edited:

ManCave

You could have done worse on price and paid more. Resellers are resellers but at least you have some lasers that work are ok albeit low end mass produced and therefore a real world basis for experience with current generation of laser pointers.
That's more than several LPF noobs have which is all just imagination/imaginary and pretend/as if.
Good luck with them--enjoy.

You paid about double what you could get them for on a 1 piece of each basis directly from China, FOB China see:
See: https://lmlaser.en.alibaba.com/prod...tml?spm=a2700.icbuShop.41413.9.3e0091a9EgfWF3
and
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...ml?spm=a2700.7724857.2017115.8.17e15e93CdqKyL

You could have had them imprinted "ManCave laser" instead of Zeus .
Thank you, Encup.
Yep, looks like I’ve paid a little too much. Still, no import charges or long wait and they came with batteries and a case...not to bad for my first incursion into ‘fun’ lasers.
I am sure having some fun with them as we speak, and a good night out can run into the multi hundred pounds, so money well spent.
Cheers!

Encap

Thank you, Encup.
Yep, looks like I’ve paid a little too much. Still, no import charges or long wait and they came with batteries and a case...not to bad for my first incursion into ‘fun’ lasers.
I am sure having some fun with them as we speak, and a good night out can run into the multi hundred pounds, so money well spent.
Cheers!
Exactly. (y)
Cheers!

ManCave

Exactly. (y)
Cheers!
Seller has just comeback to me. Lens is glass, single element.
Heat sink is brass.
So, not too bad at all. Now, if I could only get hold of an LPM to confirm power levels 🤔...

Seller has just comeback to me. Lens is glass, single element.
Heat sink is brass.
So, not too bad at all. Now, if I could only get hold of an LPM to confirm power levels 🤔...

Probably a Chinese G2, if it's M9x0.5 threads you can swap in a G8 and get a lot better divergence, more uniform beam and a tighter focus at distance, the G2 is an efficient lens but is mostly used for focusing tight up close as it's a short focal length of typically 2.39mm where as the G8 is 8mm......or keep it as is and build yourself a custom with a 5W NDB7A75 or whatever you want as a custom allows for easy......well customization, but if igniting fireworks fuse at range is the goal then the short FL G2 is not what you want.......if that's fact what you have which is likely but of course not guaranteed.

Can you adjust the focus by twisting the end or is it fixed focus ?

Here's an old 7K75/7875 like yours with just a 3 element lens which is less efficient middle focal length but being able to focus by hand allows you to concentrate the energy, this one was doing around 2W.
A 7A75 would light it in 1 second with an audible POP

Last edited:

ManCave

Probably a Chinese G2, if it's M9x0.5 threads you can swap in a G8 and get a lot better divergence, more uniform beam and a tighter focus at distance, the G2 is an efficient lens but is mostly used for focusing tight up close as it's a short focal length of typically 2.39mm where as the G8 is 8mm......or keep it as is and build yourself a custom with a 5W NDB7A75 or whatever you want as a custom allows for easy......well customization, but if igniting fireworks fuse at range is the goal then the short FL G2 is not what you want.......if that's fact what you have which is likely but of course not guaranteed.

Can you adjust the focus by twisting the end or is it fixed focus ?
Than you RedCowboy.
Yes, it can be focused.
Lighting fireworks is not going to be their only job, we are just having some fun (we’ve been carful and safe) and though it will be cool to light the fireworks with it. These will be eventually mainly used for pointing at celestial objects during lectures.
I guess the threads for the crown/lens is the same size as the Thor. Not sure how to get the diode out to change it, as only the crown and the back cap unscrews. and from the front, it seems pretty tightly encased. not really accesible from the back as the tube is quite long.
Where can I buy the G8? Can you post a link?
Cheer!

You would be better off to build your own, plenty of members here make housings you just put in a module with driver and your batteries, here's a link to DTR where you can get parts and lenses, and Lifetime17 makes housings as well as others, of course you have to obey all your local laws and are responsible for your actions, I'm sure you know that but I feel the need to say it.

I like the direct 520nm diodes for astronomy, the single mode 50-150mw are plenty for that and they don't suffer the thermal issues or mode hopping 532 dpss does and the 488nm sharp makes a really nice blue/green beam, single mode 638nm are quite nice too.

Here's a single mode 488, the signle modes are good for pointing/astronomy without alerting the neighborhood.
SANY3751.JPG

Last edited:

ManCave

You would be better off to build your own, plenty of members here make housings you just put in a module with driver and your batteries, here's a link to DTR where you can get parts and lenses, and Lifetime17 makes housings, of course you have to obey all your local laws and are responsible for your actions, I'm sure you know that but I feel the need to say it.

Thank you RC.
Will dip into DIY once I gain a bit more knowledge and confidence.
Yes, so far, I’ve been using relatively low power lasers for Astronomy pointing and mount set up/tracking. And specialized low power units for Telescope collimation. Mainly red and green. These are my first medium high power lasers... they sure can be a lot of fun.
Cheers!

Last edited: