Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The unexpected 593.5

You see a quick green dot from a cold start then it quickly turns orange/yellow and appears to hold steady quite well, I tested it some more and got 15mw after running it for a while and as much as 22mw from a warm start, I still haven't adjusted the pot and likely won't as this one works well as received, that said I am spoiled on high output lasers and want more. :)

I bypassed the momentary switch and omitted the spring, I don't like my battery pressing against the driver even though the pump diode was well soldered to the board, so I put the module in a housing I bought from Lifetime17 a while back.

Something of interest is the threads around the output of the module are the same as the inner threads of those little holo caps you get with red pointers, so I removed the glass from one and am using it as a dust cap to keep the lens clean, the beam is tight enough at the output that the cap didn't need to be drilled out any at all.

SANY6998.JPGSANY7005.JPG

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I received my unit, so awesome to have this amazing wavelength in my collection again after all these years! :cool: I'll post some more pictures later, but here are a few that I took today. Mine also does that thing where it starts off lasing green and then suddenly switches over to yellow. Was taking these pictures in my basement and it's pretty cool down here, so this could be why, by mine sometimes takes as long as 20 seconds before it hops to 593.5. Once it goes to yellow though it seems pretty stable.

The unit itself:

DSC-0893.jpg

DSC-0894.jpg

Caught this as it was still lasing green:

DSC-0895.jpg

Then right after it hopped to yellow:

DSC-0896.jpg

I don't have an LPM, so don't know the exact output, but this is a comparison with two verified less than 5mW LaserGlow units. 650nm, and 532nm.

DSC-0897.jpg

Last edited:
20secs is a long time, definitely the cold I would think. When I power mine with well used AAA's I can get a couple seconds of green before it goes orange. With a 10440 and a spacer the green blip is so short I can only see it if I swipe the dot across the wall when switching it on. There is a very tiny green streak preceding the glorious orange.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'll have to try with a 10440 and a spacer. I did find that when I bring it upstairs to the warmer part of the house or leave it in my pocket for a few minutes it is closer to a couple seconds of green rather than the 20 seconds from a cold start in the basement.

EDIT: Yeah, this laser definitely likes warmer temperatures. We've been having a heat wave here in the last couple days and I've left the unit upstairs on my bedside table were it's really warm, nearly 30C (86F) and it's not only nearly instantly switching from green to yellow, but it's been much brighter when it's yellow too.

Last edited:
They all vary slightly but I'd say 25mW is the average.

I'm liking that price. I'm curious, about how many mW of orange output is that?
I havent yet seen a measurement of one of these with the infrared filtered out.
I have 4 of these modules and most of the output is infrared. I only have filters coated to pass 532 so I can't yet test it myself.
My calibrated eyeball says mine produce between 3 and 7 mW of 593 depending on the temperature.

I havent yet seen a measurement of one of these with the infrared filtered out.
I have 4 of these modules and most of the output is infrared. I only have filters coated to pass 532 so I can't yet test it myself.
My calibrated eyeball says mine produce between 3 and 7 mW of 593 depending on the temperature.
I have IR filters too, but they are all for 532 nm as well. Wonder what someone would want for a 589 nm or 593 nm filter. Doubtlessly more than I paid for the ones I have.

I'm liking that price. I'm curious, about how many mW of orange output is that?

The output isn't like the 532nm pointers advertised as 1mw and/or 5mw that really do 40mw - 80mw, mine do 10mw - 20mw and the beam is best viewed in a dimly lit room or outside at night during a rain or after..... something I find that works well is to burn just a little incense and let a small fan stir it into the room air, you don't need much, just a little that you can't even see with your naked eyes, but your beam will show much better.

glad i found this thread. been away from this page for a long while mainly because laser tech was not progressing as fast as i was hoping it would a few years ago. There was only one thing that could excite me and rope me back in and that is a orange laser. I kick myself all the time for not buying a 50mw 589nm dpss spartan back when they had them at a decent price. I have a few questions about these blue pens floating around. like this one

This last one is marketed as a direct diode not dpss and so now im wondering if there is a dpss version and a direct diode version because to be honest its hard to trust the ebay listings specs.
Any clarification would be quite helpful

glad i found this thread. been away from this page for a long while mainly because laser tech was not progressing as fast as i was hoping it would a few years ago. There was only one thing that could excite me and rope me back in and that is a orange laser. I kick myself all the time for not buying a 50mw 589nm dpss spartan back when they had them at a decent price. I have a few questions about these blue pens floating around. like this one

This last one is marketed as a direct diode not dpss and so now im wondering if there is a dpss version and a direct diode version because to be honest its hard to trust the ebay listings specs.

There are no 591nm direct diode lasers, so that is not accurate. If it is a 591 nm laser it must be DPSS.

All three of those are the same.

All three of those are the same.

i think i am going to shell out the extra money for a better host. Do you still have some of these? it says one left. just want to make sure that's correct.