Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Sky Blue 465nm-470nm laser pointer

Michael Varn

I just received a Wicked Laser brand laser pointer from a domestic seller.

This laser was purchased and shipped to the USA from Asia before the ban went into effect.

How rare is the sky blue version?

I have seen many variants of blue lasers, ranging from violet, purple, blue, and royal blue, to cyan for sale online, but what is special about the sky blue laser?

Is it harder or more complicated to produce like the yellow ones?

It looks like they once had a 473nm option for the arctic that was just a 473nm direct diode laser but they called it the spyder 3 IINM, however the older units were a low output dpss.
Does yours look like the arctic or like the spyder ?

Last edited:

Michael Varn

My sky blue laser is a class 3a, and is similar in brightness to my class 2 green laser pointer, but the difference is that the beam on my sky blue laser is alot thicker, and just appears more sophisticated.

Now the hilt or handle on this laser has all kinds of bells and whistles like illuminated buttons, power indicator lights, as well as what appears and feels like the highest quality metal that could be gun metal, titanium steel, air craft aluminum, or machined, or anodized metal.

This laser weighs a little more than I expected, but that just contributes at least to the perception of high value.

It's just anodized aluminum.
I hope you didn't pay a lot for it, WL uses a lot of thermal paste in place of proper engineering, they are nothing like LaserGlow or even Jet lasers in quality but they can be collectible with some people.

Michael Varn

I hope you didn't pay a lot for it, WL uses a lot of thermal paste in place of proper engineering, they are nothing like LaserGlow or even Jet lasers in quality but they can be collectible with some people.
No, no where near $500.00, but it is a substantial upgrade from my class 2 green laser pointer, not so much with the laser itself, but the hilt or handle.

Everything that this seller advertised met with my expectations, and has multiple positive reviews and nearly perfect feedback from other customers.

There is not alot of talk on these forums about handles and hilts, just the lasers themselves.

I think this would make for an interesting thread, if it doesn't already exist.

I would like to know which material the various laser pointers are made of.

Last edited:
Lifetime17 can make you a host from any metal you like, copper, brass, aluminum or a combination of materials.
Plus you can easily change out modules or upgrade/service your laser unlike WL or other Chinese units that are glued together.

Encap

WL made 473nm pointers but never offered a 465nm pointer, as there were no 465nm diodes way back when, see WL product history here: https://www.wickedlasers.com/aboutus

It is most likely one of these "Wicked style" nothing special recently made Chinese WL knockoffs as are sold new on eBay for $299.69 including shipping by some guy in Princeton NJ
See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/204361490265?hash=item2f94e4df59:g:nMEAAOSwu5Rkhioo&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA4NPcds8GQVS18IfFYOEIRQDRBg3Omsdyii5f0arkYplZjNIiE98EotPrqCcgrmVPxz95khTw6YSv3PjjQSvS+TUQgr6QRnETTiB0OWDzsw5udfy8lPot4g1GYQY5X/pfvViifazwvG+08Nw3FzMSdQnvXMPCWAnsqaaAoPX2ox3SACl68uAiMrdqwy3HfvvTY6wMfRy4nulULau3AFy57W2BGIIbGqnlWpJMivljS/bxf8ofKlWksiON7hkWQ1PcGzFTe9dj1R9XmxefsT2aF+7CBR9Wyio02I/YQJRqUPhh|tkp:BFBMkL2TsqJi

There have been many single mode Sharp laser diodes offered starting with a 470 nm to 477 nm laser diode. I kept one that was the longest wavelength of these at 477 nm. I already had a good 473 nm DPSS laser. We sold these diodes for just $60 each until they were gone. Unfortunately, no more were ever made.

Michael Varn

Can you tell me the difference between these two diodes:

Nichia N465 (my laser, sky blue)

and

Nuvoton KLC432FLOIWW (another laser from same seller, purple, and much more expensive)

I was mistaken about the brand name, it was Wicked Laser style, but I think the handle is actually a WL.

But what company makes these diodes?

Apparently this seller is a builder, who got different parts from individual kits that were sold or acquired seperately.

Last edited:
IIRC, Nichia made a 450nm diode that would get longer wavelengths when over driven, but that was several years ago. I have one around here somewhere, but haven't thought about it in a long time. Thought I might have put it in my signature, but I didn't. Many lasers I have didn't make it into my sig.

Michael Varn

Anything on the Nuvoton?

Can't know for sure, but the seller said it was quite rare.

Closest part that comes up is this > Nuvoton
I also tried replacing your O with 0 and your I with 1 but didn't find an exact match.

Can you tell me the difference between these two diodes:

Nichia N465 (my laser, sky blue)
Your laser should not have an N465 diode in it as it would be a Class IV laser if it used an N465 instead of Class IIIa which you stated yours is rated. The N465 was a canned version of a NUBM07 that was modified by a 3rd party which Jordan of DTR Lasers sold for a brief time. To my knowledge, he is the only seller who had these modified diodes (recently, Lasertree began offering a canned NUBM07 which they modify in-house with option for a FAC lens). If you're interested in the output of those diodes, you can see my build thread of an N465 lab style build with corrective cylinder optics here-> https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/n465-lab-cyl-lens-correction-switchable-output-temp-display.102096/