Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The REAL Kryton GB round #3. Taking payments now.

Kenom

Re: The REAL Kryton GB round #3

I also like the idea of a adjustable current driver. Not everyone is going to be using the same diodes and say for example I want to push a 3W laser diode which needs anywhere fromk 2.5A-3.5A to reach the desired output. by having it set at a specific current, joe who is using a 2W laser diode would kill his diode on my driver. (the one set for 2.5A-3.5A)

would also be a lot of work for you to have to adjust all these drivers one by one. and then I decide to upgrade to a higher current diode and you have to change it yet again. Just seems like a lot of work.

As to teh "green" modules. There will be an adapter I'm sure that jayrob will make for these to make them work for green modules. I'm designing the interior large enough for something like this.
High power IR filtered 300mW green laser module/Adjustable [OLHGLM300] - $245.00 : O-Like, Quality Products, Great Prices

I would still be concerned about the driver changing ranges with even 5 clicks. I personally would rather have the range mode(0-1amp, 1-2amp, 2-3amp, etc) adjustable on the driver itself so that a user couldn't accidentally change it. I don't see why someone would want to change the range after it was built because you wouldn't be able to adjust the POT anyway.

My inexperienced self would vote for the POT for user adjustable current and something on the driver itself(jumper, solder bridge, etc) to set the range you want too(0-1amp, 1-2amp, 2-3amp, etc or however you would want it to be divided up to reduce drift).

Kenom, You just answered one of the questions I had. 'Does anyone make a host for the powerful o-like green modules.' That would be sweet if we could get those into a Kryton beast. The higher power green modules seem a bit expensive though at o-like.

The way I'd have range-change work (if I were to do this) is have 2 pots inside, most of the time it would be using the first pot, but after 3 or 5 clicks, it "switches" to the second pot's setting, until the device is switched off again. Some torches do this, especially DealExtreme multi-mode ones. I would think that could be an useful feature for people who want to conserve battery or reduce brightness for safety (normally running at 2W, but when working with lower-OD goggles, click 5 times and it becomes 500mW). Is it just me that would find this useful?

@Kenom, if I were using a fixed-value design, the driver's firmware would be changed and calibrated via a firmware flash, shouldn't take more than a few minutes to set up each driver. I do agree that it would be a bit more work for all involved, however, so I'll avoid this anyway.

With this design, it's also theoretically possible to ramp the power up at start-up, taking a few (milli)seconds to reach maximum power. Useful feature of the driver, or just a gimmick? Might be worth it again for safety, so you don't instantly get 2W of reflection in the face when powering up, you merely get a "warning beam" until the driver's been running for a few seconds.

Anyway, all of this is theoretically possible, I'll order most of the components hopefully tomorrow through school, and get a prototype working when they arrive. Once I'm happy with stability and functionality, I can start working on the "real deal".

Last edited:

Wow. Great ideas charliebruce. I like the warning beam and the possibility of having a low power and high power mode toggle. As long as the builder sets the 2 power levels so that the user can not accidentally get a higher power mode than what the builder intended.

If this is something that is doable I wouldn't mind spending the extra money for the added functionality.

Last edited:

Kenom

I agree, the ramp up feature is also a nice thing. Adding all these features though is something that we need to consider is $$. The only host that will take this driver is the Beast and since it's such an expensive host to begin with the idea of increasing cost so significantly with a driver isn't all that attractive to buyers. I do understand the need/reason behind some of the nicer features and they are attractive. However, there is one thing in this world I've learned is that people are cheap. I've tried my best to convince everyone that a quality product is worth spending more for, but have ended up yelling to an empty room. Not many want to hear it. "yes that's all well and fine, but I can build this cheap plastic thing that won't last me a few minutes for 1/3rd that price...Yes, I'll have to replace the diode but it's an insignificant cost in comparison to having the spend that extra on something that's going to make my diode last a good long time." It just flies in the eye of good common sense. I'm not going to say everyone is that way, but in these economic times.... well lets just say there's more penny pinchers than those that are willing to spend an extra $20-$40 for a quality product.

ahhh. /rant.

A poll would be a good way to go so that the masses can speak their minds. My opinion has been stated and I don't mind spending a little bit more for a quality driver.

I'm hoping that those who are going to be playing around with handhelds at 2+W are going to be more than your average project-box people, but you definitely have a point with the cost - I'm going to be looking carefully at the choice of components for maximum current and stability, traded off against efficiency and price. The cost difference isn't that big between the different designs, it's more about the time it would take me to write and test the firmware to ensure that it works safely and reliably.

Can you give a vague approximate as to the surface area I've got to play around with on this board, perhaps, and the type of contact that will be attached? I'm guessing it's a coiled spring similar to the Kryton/LavaDrive design?

I'll add a poll within the next few days with all the main options, once I've worked out some of the details.

Also, you might remember, we discussed on laserchat about a torch similar to the Kryton, thought you might be interested to see: http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/anodisation-my-dt-cw-48400.html - I'd prefer not to share full details about the design until after it's been marked and approved, however. Suffice it to say that it's amazingly bright, and the head is kept very cool indeed by the Kryton-esque fins :) (I've given credit in the project to your original design, though the dimensions are only vague approximates of what you used).

Last edited:

Kenom

I'll respond in that thread about the anodizing as I've got some experience of my own with anodizing. I can point you in the right direction at least.

As to driver dimensions, well, lets suffice it to say that 20mm diameter is what I'm shooting for UNDER. I've got plenty of room in this host and the more we leave as solid aluminum, the more mass it has to wick heat away. I'd say we have more room for a multi-level driver than we do a single setup like the lava flexdrive or something similair. I've got a driver from a Aries I could take some pictures of that is a great driver for this setup as it has to drive a c-mount pump diode.

Can i assume the Jayrob EZ focus adapter will work with these custom Groove's?

thanks,
Chuck

Kenom

these Grooves are not custom. They are your standard run of the mill (hahah machinist joke) Kryton Grooves. So yes the jayrob focus adapter will work.

Pictures of the Aries driver would be useful. The target size would be achievable, if a little small perhaps - I'll probably have to stack a couple of boards together and make one double-sided. Efficiency could be as high as 90% with some very careful designing indeed, but at high currents heat starts to become an issue - though 5A at 3V would be achievable without this becoming an issue. I'll post back when the parts arrive and I can start getting real world figures, not just calculations. I'll post a poll after I've had a play around and worked out what is practical and what isn't - though I have a few other ideas up my sleeve, that will be staying there for the time being...

Can you please put some prices on the first page? Even if they're preliminary, I'd like to know what the estimated price for each of the hosts will be. Might be good to include in the spreadsheet as well.

Thanks.

Kenom

Not a bad idea. I'll get on that soon.

Just thought I'd bump this and say that the parts are on their way. Photos of the driver would be good if you get the time, so I can start playing around with layout ideas. Also, I suspect there might need to be a case-positive and a case-negative version, for both C-Mount (CP) and 5.6mm/9mm red (CN). Design shouldn't be too different, but again it's something I'll need to consider. What would most people need? I'll post the poll once I've got the parts and played around for a bit.

Kenom

here are the pictures I promised. Sorry it took so long I had to find my aries as I've yet to completely unpack at my new apt....

DSC00042.JPG

DSC00041.JPG

I'm pretty sure I'm interested in a PPR, but I'm gonna need a price and I'm gonna want to see pictures, too.

Asherz

I'm pretty sure I'm interested in a PPR, but I'm gonna need a price and I'm gonna want to see pictures, too.

You can't see pictures because they don't exist yet, you pay to be apart of the GB, they get machined and then sent.

I guess Kenom may have a few 3D models or sketches.