Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Improved and the Greatly Improved Arctic Mod

Zirak

:3
Also Question danefex, how do you ship something I've never actually tried shipping something.

uhh... the post office? I'm not trying to be a smartass, but unless you're younger than 10 or amish.. just what are you asking here?

Zirak

If Dave can mod my Spyder III G2 (With all expenses covered on shipping and if he asks for any additional fees)
I don't really fiddle with hardware as I'm really clumsy and tend to break things, this is why I stick with software programming instead. I'd rather have it done in the hands of a professional :)

Last edited:
If Dave can mod my Spyder III G2 (With all expenses covered on shipping and if he asks for any additional fees)
I don't really fiddle with hardware as I'm really clumsy and tend to break things, this is why I stick with software programming instead. I'd rather have it done in the hands of a professional :)

Your best bet it to PM Dave first and ask about this if you haven't already. If you both agree on something, take your laser apart (tailcap off, no batteries or lenscap) wrap them up separately in bubble wrap & pack em up good in a box & mail it off to Dave.

You'll also want to consider upgrading your safety glasses if you get this done. WLs arguably useless goggles that come with the S3 aren't going to protect your eyes with this increase of power. This of course depends on what driver you choose to use ;)

Zirak

Will do, I think the Glasses they ship now are better than the old ones they used to ship. (Don't know if the lens being a very dark orange color means it filters more)

jakeGT

Your best bet it to PM Dave first and ask about this if you haven't already. If you both agree on something, take your laser apart (tailcap off, no batteries or lenscap) wrap them up separately in bubble wrap & pack em up good in a box & mail it off to Dave.

You'll also want to consider upgrading your safety glasses if you get this done. WLs arguably useless goggles that come with the S3 aren't going to protect your eyes with this increase of power. This of course depends on what driver you choose to use ;)

The WL goggles might be okay for their 600mW arctics HAHA. But now 1W+'s...

Just kidding I'm sure there only good for 100mW and lower!

The WL shades are pretty decent. The lenses have too much thermal compound holding them in.

Dave - You may have to start handing out numbered tickets soon...

I did want to go with copper on the heat sink. I don't mind the additional weight on a large host ( XX-Large ) like the S3. It will make for a heck of a billy club!

I'l PM you regarding the additional $$$$ copper investment.

jakeGT

The WL shades are pretty decent. The lenses have too much thermal compound holding them in.

Dave - You may have to start handing out numbered tickets soon...

I did want to go with copper on the heat sink. I don't mind the additional weight on a large host ( XX-Large ) like the S3. It will make for a heck of a billy club!

I'l PM you regarding the additional $$$$ copper investment.

Well from everything I've read on this site from anybody with a pair of them (besides you) has said that they are pieces of crap, and should be thrown out upon arrival, unless you want false sense of safety that is.

Trevor

Well from everything I've read on this site from anybody with a pair of them (besides you) has said that they are pieces of crap, and should be thrown out upon arrival, unless you want false sense of safety that is.

Didn't ever post this but here goes.

WL has two varieties of goggles they send out with the Arctics. One type is the light orange polymer, and the other is the standard red polymer used in other Chinese laser safety glasses.

WL sent me pairs of both varieties to do destructive testing on.

The light orange type is not enough protection. All of them measured around OD 1.0. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch of them, but the risk associated with using these is not worth any illusion of "safety" they give.

The red type, however, passed my testing. No green or blue light passed through them (though my 543.5nm HeNe had some light come through - so the protection drops off after 532nm). They provide acceptable protection against accidental exposure. However, these should not be a crutch.

Safety glasses are not an acceptable substitute for safe practices.

-Trevor

Last edited:

daguin

dave how much to mod my artic ??? , i have a g2

This mod is also not cheap. It requires a new heat sink and driver. Depending on your unit, it could also mean a new diode and lens. One of the screwy things about the Arctic is that the diode holder has no space in which to remove the diode. They generally get destroyed trying to remove them :( Also, some of the Arctics have their lenses glued in place and/or have lenses that are only 1/2 threaded. In either of those scenarios, the lens must also be replaced

This mod requires about $140 in parts. Add an additional $50 for labor, shipping and PayPal fees. You have a $190 modification. I have done eight of these modifications already so I am confident in the requirements of the modification.

This mod will give you a >1.2W (sometimes much more ;) ) Arctic that is powered by two 16340 batteries. If you pick up a 405-G-1 lens (~$60 from Jayrob), you will get closer to 1.4W.

I have had members who had me mod a working Arctic. However, I don't really recommend it *IF* your Arctic is working reliably. You can get a second laser, at this output, for the same money from someone here.

Why break something that is working? Have two for the same money.

Now if your Arctic is one of the plethora of pieces of crap that was shipped by WL, then this will give you a better laser in a really cool looking host.

Peace,
dave

jakeGT

$140 to save your initial investment of $300, changing a piece of poop into a diamond, would be worth it.

Jake- The poop is being replicated at this very moment for a GB, cosmetically replicated. The AL host is well made along with safety switch and FDA shut-off pin. The internal mess you find when dissembling along with sub >1W performance is disappointing.

Luckily guys like Dave are around!!

And the safety glasses are still in the original packing and case. I was kidding i.e. Thermal compound & Lense, Guess you have to dissemble one to undertsand...

Im also on your GB for the Artic Host .

$140 to save your initial investment of $300, changing a piece of poop into a diamond, would be worth it.

Mark64

I have the Arctic III G2 and Jayrob's Star Trek Phaser and I must say that Jayrob's Star Trek Phaser Mod (405NM - 365mw) does a great job in destroying balloons, flash paper, etc...I am happy with that laser but the Arctic is a loser, as is, because it is not able to focus well. Has anyone developed a screw in lens (front end) for this Arctic III? Something along the lines of what Jayrob did for the phaser would be perfect. Easy to focus with a twist. Black would be nice if available.

The Arctic host looks great but the smartswitch is a bear to use and annoying because it is not always working on first attempts. It would be nice if it had on-steady at full power and pulse at full power as the only options.

Anything to make me feel better about wasting my $300.00 would be welcomed.

Last edited:
^ you can do this yourself. If you unscrew the top off your G2 you'll see something a lot like the 1st picture in this post. Often there's a lot of paste around the threads - but follow the information down from that picture & you'll learn you can focus your G2.

DONT go as far as to unscrewing the lens itself though (2nd pic)

Last edited:

Mark64

Understood. I was thinking more of an external focus ring type of modification adjustable when needed and easy to do on the fly.

Last edited: