Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The future of laser ownership

Except for the Brits and the Australians who seem to be unable not to shine lasers at planes etc :D, what do you think the cutoff point will be when LP's get banned in the US and other places? I mean some of these lasers pointers are getting downright dangerous with 1W IR lasers coming to mind. I am sure most of you can imagine what somebody could do with one of those in a public place.

Personally I don't believe in the banning of most anything except maybe personal nukes. Been a lifetime member of the NRA and a Libertarian for over 20 years and banning "things" is against my values and feel that people should self police themselves.

Just curious what others think.

I agree completely. With anything dangerous there comes some responsibility. I am also a gun owner and my thoughts on weapons and other dangerous items are that you should be allowed to have them and use them provided you do it safely. It's no different than driving your car everyday. If you are unsafe with your car you can do major damage, but if you drive with caution and defensively then the chances of an accident occuring drops. The same goes for lasers, guns, etc.

The difference is that to keep and bear arms is a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, whereas laser ownership is not. You can argue all day that nothing should be banned but the government does it all the time and it will be a losing battle should they focus their attention on lasers. That is why as a laser owner it is a responsibility to use the laser in such a way as to not attract the attention of the government.

Screwdriver said:
Except for the Brits and the Australians who seem to be unable not to shine lasers at planes etc :D, what do you think the cutoff point will be when LP's get banned in the US and other places? I mean some of these lasers pointers are getting downright dangerous with 1W IR lasers coming to mind. I am sure most of you can imagine what somebody could do with one of those in a public place.

Personally I don't believe in the banning of most anything except maybe personal nukes. Been a lifetime member of the NRA and a Libertarian for over 20 years and banning "things" is against my values and feel that people should self police themselves.

Just curious what others think.

With the super high divergence of most IR "pens" I would be happy to to see someone "point" those in public. The dollar store reds pose more danger in public places than a 1 Watt IR handheld would.

Of course, here in the US pointers over 5mw technically ARE illegal - unless they have the FDA requirements for higher-powered lasers in place, like keys, delayed emission, etc. Although the gov't could even make these pointers with the proper safety features illegal if people start doing stupid things...

Ace82

I think lasers should be banned worldwide.  

Come on now, what kind of response did you expect with a post like that on a forum like this?

Seriously though, I believe that police should provide a complete video with audio of every single arrest they make.  It wouldn't be hard now days with technology it would actually be very easy and cheap.  And if they don't the case should be dropped immediately (if there is no hard evidence, your word vs my word shit).  Now that's what I believe should change.  We need to limit police freedom, and our privileges should remain as they are.  But slowly, the nations are become dictators.  

Ace82 said:
I think lasers should be banned worldwide.  

Come on now, what kind of response did you expect with a post like that on a forum like this?

You missed my point....I did not ask if laser pointers should be banned, just at what point do you think they will be in countries like the US.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough....

climbak said:
I agree completely. With anything dangerous there comes some responsibility. I am also a gun owner and my thoughts on weapons and other dangerous items are that you should be allowed to have them and use them provided you do it safely. It's no different than driving your car everyday. If you are unsafe with your car you can do major damage, but if you drive with caution and defensively then the chances of an accident occuring drops. The same goes for lasers, guns, etc.

who drives "defensive" i mean really? your a complete loser, jk, lol

I think Benjamin Franklin said it best, and the word laser was not even a word at that time :

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

We haven't banned guns yet, so I wouldn't worry to much, there are to many stupid people doing incredibly ignorant things to keep the courts occupied for quite some time. Just act responsibly and Big Brother will mostly leave you and our lasers alone.
CMD

Catmandoo said:
I think Benjamin Franklin said it best, and the word laser was not even a word at that time :

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

We haven't banned guns yet, so I wouldn't worry to much, there are to many stupid people doing incredibly ignorant things to keep the courts occupied for quite some time. Just act responsibly and Big Brother will mostly leave you and our lasers alone.
CMD

Benjamin Franklin also said...

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Kenom

Catmandoo said:

CMD

that hands down has got to be the best quote I've ever seen.  I will be committing that one to memory and quoting it repeatedly.

However. Benjamin franklin did NOT say that.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/forum/read.html?id=1144

I don't think laser pointers should be banned at all, but I do think that some of these higher powered lasers should be much harder to get ahold of. Believe it or not, things like DX are going to destroy our hobby.

Imagine if 500 horsepower cars were affordable to everyone (eg, $15k brand new), think how many people would die because of ignorance and irresponsibility; those who own those cars worked a long time to have them and understand the risks involved, and on the whole use them responsibly.

It's the same with lasers. I think reds should still be $20, 3mw greens $70, and 50mw plus should be a couple hundred, just for control sake. Not every Tom, Dick and Harry would have one then, and it would help to ensure that those who truly understand what they're buying would be the only ones to get them.

Our hobby's success will be it's demise.

Abray

FrothyChimp said:
The difference is that to keep and bear arms is a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, whereas laser ownership is not. You can argue all day that nothing should be banned but the government does it all the time and it will be a losing battle should they focus their attention on lasers. That is why as a laser owner it is a responsibility to use the laser in such a way as to not attract the attention of the government.

Writers such as Byron Kaye(is that his name?) seem to have labeled laser pointers as weapons, though. If we are using our "weapons" to "shoot" down those planes since we are such "terrorists", then wouldn't that give us the right to keep and bear lasers (weapon)?

Abray said:
[quote author=FrothyChimp link=1214501739/0#2 date=1214503490]The difference is that to keep and bear arms is a right guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution, whereas laser ownership is not. You can argue all day that nothing should be banned but the government does it all the time and it will be a losing battle should they focus their attention on lasers. That is why as a laser owner it is a responsibility to use the laser in such a way as to not attract the attention of the government.

Writers such as Byron Kaye(is that his name?) seem to have labeled laser pointers as weapons, though. If we are using our "weapons" to "shoot" down those planes since we are such "terrorists", then wouldn't that give us the right to keep and bear lasers (weapon)?[/quote]

The right to keep and bear arms refers to the right of the populace to maintain a militia, it does NOT guarantee every thug and hick the right to keep their gat or shotty.

Kenom said:
[quote author=Catmandoo link=1214501739/0#8 date=1214521127]I think Benjamin Franklin said it best, and the word laser was not even a word at that time :

CMD

that hands down has got to be the best quote I've ever seen. I will be committing that one to memory and quoting it repeatedly.

However. Benjamin franklin did NOT say that.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/forum/read.html?id=1144[/quote]

Amen.

quadcam said:
I don't think laser pointers should be banned at all, but I do think that some of these higher powered lasers should be much harder to get ahold of. Believe it or not, things like DX are going to destroy our hobby.

Imagine if 500 horsepower cars were affordable to everyone (eg, $15k brand new), think how many people would die because of ignorance and irresponsibility; those who own those cars worked a long time to have them and understand the risks involved, and on the whole use them responsibly.

It's the same with lasers. I think reds should still be $20, 3mw greens $70, and 50mw plus should be a couple hundred, just for control sake. Not every Tom, Dick and Harry would have one then, and it would help to ensure that those who truly understand what they're buying would be the only ones to get them.

Our hobby's success will be it's demise.
Good point, reminds me of Hulk Hogan's kid, daddy has plenty of money, so he was able to afford that high horsepower car you speak of and look what happened......an American IRAQ War Vet is now in a coma, and Nick is in jail; it's all very sad, an immature teenager should not have ever had that car.