Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Cyan Cannon Vll Build

Well....It is a difficult color to describe...and difficult to photograph !!

It is a mix of Green and Blue....but....even though it should be Cyan....with some additional Green ....it looks a little more like light blue to me !! But...maybe that is a function of brightness ???

My set up was only temporary.....and...I have a Pass Green/Reflect Blue Dichro mirror ordered and shipping. Theory sez that that arrangement should provide a more equal divergence....in the Far,far field....!!!

Now....when one looks at the set up....and tests the Blue geometry....and then the Green geometry...separately....well....they seem to be of equal divergence !!!....but....that is at a distance of 25' (6.7M)

Anyway....I will be doing more testing once my additional optics arrive...in about 10 days. :thinking::thinking::thinking: Well....fascinating...anyone awake after reading all this blah, blah....blah ???:san:....wow !!

Added Note: Did more testing...Dialed the power way down...to really see the colour !!
It is just a beautiful shade of Cyan...Aquamarine....neither Blue...nor Green....but...both...er...ah.........." Trans-Wavelength "...Hope that is not in the U-Dictionary !! Later

Beam out

Last edited:

Since cyan produced from this method is neither purely green, or blue.... but a mix of them, I wonder how the relative perceived brightness scale for wavelength works, the same as if it were really that color and not a mix?

Wow, I went to that link and inputted 492, that looks like it's right in the middle between blue and green.... but what would I expect? Anything else? I guess not, that's cyan, but a bit more towards the green than I thought at 492nm.

Thanks, will rep you again when I can, might be awhile :p

the following statement is base purely on assumption, read at your own risk:
since human eyes will try to balance out the color of 2 different wavelength in this case 520-525 and 465-470... so i sum up (520+465)/2=492.5nm; (525+470)/2=497.5nm therefore the range should be 492nm-497nm. But the color might vary from person to person.....

jors

yeah, you're right...human eyes, diodes temperature, relative power on both wavelenghts, beam profile...several variables here....but it's just to have a colour idea, not scientific test

Last edited:
Very interesting discussion....So...I will add that I have grappled with this issue B4....See the link at the bottom of my post...." The Purple pHaze "...a combiner which used a 635nm LD and 445nm LD to deliver a Purple color....well in real life...it kicks out what looks like a Magenta beam.

OK....I may get ambitious....and use the same method to use perceived luminosity and raw optical power to predict the CC Vll color....but...it seems to me to be....ooo...big surprise...Cyan !!

But....rant on I must !!!......
Consider this....our eyes...having Rods and Cones ...See you know this link.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoreceptor_cell

Wow....more than you need to know....( My head hurts after reading !!)but....my take away is that we have three types of Photoreceptor Cones....each type specific for generating a chemical/electric signal to our brain....and grouped for signal generation when receiving photons in the low, medium and higher wavelengths.

So....our brain mixes the signals....and we perceive Cyan. Our "seeing balls" are receiving the Green wavelength and Blue wavelength photons.......Not Cyan wavelength photons....but...it does not matter....we still see Cyan

Anyway....I say..." Trans Wavelength " roolz !!

Beam out :tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil::tinfoil:

jors

Interesting!!👏👏
And purple/pink are not spectral colors (single wavelenght) but also a brain interpretation of mixed wavelenghts.

So, You can not see purple on a rainbow...no purple comming out from a prism in front of 'white beam' Purelight Ion Coherent laser for example... neither here:
https://academo.org/demos/wavelength-to-colour-relationship/

Last edited:
I was thinking, what if you mix cyan with magenta.... then a flash of white light came to my internal eye of the mind, never mind...

It would be so cool to have a laser with the three primary colors we could vary the amount of mix from by controlling the power of the laser diode to produce cyan, magenta or yellow as well as R,G,B using a PBS cube from a projector for all three colors, but I'd want to expand the white output to reduce the divergence and not sure I could get the beams to stay together at much distance then.

Gabe

I was thinking, what if you mix cyan with magenta.... then a flash of white light came to my internal eye of the mind, never mind...

It would be so cool to have a laser with the three primary colors we could vary the amount of mix from by controlling the power of the laser diode to produce cyan, magenta or yellow as well as R,G,B using a PBS cube from a projector for all three colors, but I'd want to expand the white output to reduce the divergence and not sure I could get the beams to stay together at much distance then.

Wouldn't you get a more blue-white? Since cyan is B+G, and magenta is B+R, thats two parts blue to one part green and red?
I wanna do something like that, I found a cheapy RGB laser driver with potentiometers and TTL switching, thought it would be great to make a RBG adjustable laser. Expanding it sounds so cool!

I bought a few of those R,G,B all in one drivers to do just that. I have a bunch of R,G,B single mode diodes in Axiz holders ready to put into something, a dozen of each color. I went after the single modes because their divergence is so low, after 1000 feet, they deliver a tighter spot than a higher power multimode diode can and will be brighter at a great distance too, even at a fraction of the power output.

Gabe

I bought a few of those R,G,B all in one drivers to do just that. I have a bunch of R,G,B single mode diodes in Axiz holders ready to put into something, a dozen of each color. I went after the single modes because their divergence is so low, after 1000 feet, they deliver a tighter spot than a higher power multimode diode can and will be brighter at a great distance too, even at a fraction of the power output.

Totally, I want to pick up DTR's RGB diode bundle, they're all single mode and balance out to 300mW of white nicely. I'm just upset my $100 in laser savings changed into $65 useful dollars without me changing anything.

I forgot to comment about the fact two blue diodes when combining cyan and magenta would indeed take it out of balance, depending on how much power they were compared to the other diodes, of course. Ya, I bought the bundles from DTR, I thought they were a good deal since they were already installed on a holder, but I'm adding my own drivers.

Anything more happening on this? I was so hoping!

Alas.... The Cannon build is on hold !!

I must admit...the diodes for it have been " borrowed for my latest big todo....the Laser Lumia unit....see blah, blah in the projector section !!

Not only have the diodes been hijacked....so has ALL extra funds for ancillary audio synthesizer electronics !!! :san::san::san:

The area of audio synthesizer ... Eurorack modules...is as deep a money pit as is machine tools and lasers !! It never ends !!!

Perhaps....for a cheap hobby...I should take up collecting...oh...I dunno... ??
Yea....collecting " Cow Chips "...that resemble historical figures !!!:crackup::crackup:

Anyway....I will get back on track....unless....something else comes along to derail my train !!!

CDBEAM=======>:whistle:

That funding thing slows me down way before any lack of creativity, I have so many fun ideas, but that's a benefit of sharing what we do and I have enjoyed seeing your work.

LOL @ collecting cow chips, I know that sentiment.

Last edited: