Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tesla Coil Build Thread

I will try that when I get home. When I first fired it up the tip started smoking as it burned of the enamal on the coated wire.

I'm talking about the antenna coil, the secondary coil must have a sharp tip to breakout properly.

Long antennas tend to have corona problems (a small purple haze around the point), which can damage the circuit. The ball of solder makes the point smoother and less prone to corona. Try it out, if it makes the coil work worse you can just cut the tip...

Never saw anything like that but there is a blob of solder on it. I dont know if im crazy or not but it seems to have tightened up the sparks. More are going out the tip and not out the sides of the breakout.

Awesome. I've wanted to build a TC for awhile now and this looks like one I could probably handle. The soldering looks fairly easy for a noob like me.

O why did I click on this thread. ANOTHER gadget/build i want now. lol

Nice work here guys

edit,
Speedy78. is this your kit? SSTC DRSSTC Tesla Coil Kit Beginner Entry Level | eBay

Are ebay kits recommended? I have good soldering/schematic reading skills.

it is. It's also on sale for $20 cheaper on their website.

This kit is nice because there is NO TUNING. It basically solder and play for the most part. I have a piece of acrylic coming that will support my antenna and be illuminated by an additional blue LED> Adding a switch to the back of it. Along with a sweet breakout spike from Fiddy. Currently running a roofing nail at the top instead of just ending the secondary wire and its louder and produces larger sparks.

Hand her one of those small florescent light bulbs and tell her to hold it close to the coil. Purchase approved. Women love magic electricity apparently. Or at least my wife does.

Edit: This kit has made me want to purchase their 200$ Plasmasonic audio modulated DRSSTC producing 5 foot arcs. Yes, 5 feet. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
I would still go with eastern voltage. PCB instead of breadboard. Step by step instructiins a monkey could follow. Even makes sure you positions components the right way without any knowledge of what it is. It all fits in a radioshack large project box too like mine.

I am no stranger to silicon torture techniques myself. I made an attempt at a class E coil
a couple years ago. It was supposed to work at 170V (120V rectified mains), but I can
only get up to about 30 before bad things start to happen. I think one of the main problems
is the secondary. It is way too many turns of much too fine wire on a form that is too long.
The form is made from 2 large pill bottles melted together. It is polypropylene or some
such material that is great in theory, but the coil was poorly executed.

I haven't even touched it in more than a year because it is such a pain in the butt to get all
the stuff out. It does make sparks, though they are only about 2" long so it wasn't even
worth taking pictures of them. Maybe someday I will live in a place where there is more
room and wind a new coil and everything. As of right now it is really low on the priority list.

Link to 4hv forum thread where there are some scope shots and a schematic

I don't advise attempting solid state coils unless you have a nice battery operated
oscilloscope and really know how to use it.

Click the image for a full size version.