Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spyder III Pro Arctic - Questions Answered

JohnD

Transverse Mode; TEM00 - This is a lie, these lasers have a rectangle or "bar" shaped beam. (does anyone know what TEM that would be?)

I beg to differ - TEM refers to the mode of the actual diode. The diode in the Arctic (and all the 445's we know of) uses a "diode bar", in which each diode in that bar is emitting TEM00 - the shape of the "dot" is irrelevant to indicating transverse mode in this case.

PS - I'm offering this up to discussion, not making a bold claim of fact, as I don't have the extensive expertise to back it up, though based on my research, do believe I am correct.

I beg to differ - TEM refers to the mode of the actual diode. The diode in the Arctic (and all the 445's we know of) uses a "diode bar", in which each diode in that bar is emitting TEM00 - the shape of the "dot" is irrelevant to indicating transverse mode in this case.

PS - I'm offering this up to discussion, not making a bold claim of fact, as I don't have the extensive expertise to back it up, though based on my research, do believe I am correct.

:anyone: Can someone confirm this? i always thought TEM was relative to dot shape myself.

Transverse mode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anything other than TEM00 has a number of "lobes" due to electomagnetic interference. (This is very simplified, but) It's like waves started on opposite ends of a pool - when they meet in the middle, they may amplify or dampen (cancel) each other. With light, this causes the appearance of lobes or dots - it's not so much a splitting of the beam as it is the light waves interfering with each other and causing a dark line (or multiple).

None of the photos I have seen show any dark spots in the "rectangle."

"The overall intensity profile of a laser's output may be made up from the superposition of any of the allowed transverse modes of the laser's cavity, though often it is desirable to operate only on the fundamental mode." - Wiki

I'm guessing that this is what is happening with the diode: The rectangle is actually several TEM00s layered on one another.

I'm curious if this is common for 445nm diodes, and if the "dot" after the butt is tapped is actually a more focused rectangle.

Updated for transverse info accuracy, I learned something new there... Thanks guys, and if it needs to say something else just let me know. :D

i've got $350 to spend with lasers...
what I do now?
any good laser for $350?

Updated for transverse info accuracy, I learned something new there... Thanks guys, and if it needs to say something else just let me know. :D
Hi Woodofcville,
I would have to disagree with the transverse mode being TEM00.
If you download the specs from the diode Mfg, you will see the diode is multimode.
The fact that when viewing it it doesn't appear to have separate "lobes" doesn't matter. The pictures for TEM modes on Wiki are for a round/ point source beam, when the emitter is rectangular in shape, it changes everything and those lobes are many overlapping lobes which make it look like a solid single rectangle. If the diode Manufacturer says multi-mode, then it is; WL should update their specs to reflect the true mode of operation.

Hi Woodofcville,
I would have to disagree with the transverse mode being TEM00.
If you download the specs from the diode Mfg, you will see the diode is multimode.
The fact that when viewing it it doesn't appear to have separate "lobes" doesn't matter. The pictures for TEM modes on Wiki are for a round/ point source beam, when the emitter is rectangular in shape, it changes everything and those lobes are many overlapping lobes which make it look like a solid single rectangle. If the diode Manufacturer says multi-mode, then it is; WL should update their specs to reflect the true mode of operation.

Thank you for the info! i was hoping someone with more actual knowledge than access to wikipedia showed up. :crackup: :thanks:

So Woodofcville, are you Flashbright over at the LC forums?

If not, I would suggest you pay a visit and ask FB why he reposted this info there without any acknowledgment of it being yours.

Jerry

I know of no "Flashlight" and I am not a member, nor have i ever visited lasercommunity... There's not much i could really do anyway, I put this up to help people, and as long as people are being helped by it over there i suppose I don't care... I would kinda like a bit of acknowledgement for my time though.

Most videos said go by the photo in the manual, not the words.

I, however, am rather happy I bought an arctic, and have no regret of doing so. I've seen both very bad, and extremely good beam spec reports. So some flat out got unlucky, others were very lucky.

So no matter the way it comes to me, I'll be happy. If it goes on, I'll love it. Rather the beam spec is good/bad, its either a distance or a burner. And a little hacking if you are that picky can be acquired.

You can fix the bad beam specs by tightening a retaining nut.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/arctic-forming-rectangular-shape-53740-2.html#post756997

Depends on how much power the diode is running at, in lower power modes it is not a bar (and not running in multimode).

Trevor

Depends on how much power the diode is running at, in lower power modes it is not a bar (and not running in multimode).

Anything with multiple emitters is not going to output a single-mode gaussian profile.

This diode has multiple emitters. :thinking:

-Trevor

Anything with multiple emitters is not going to output a single-mode gaussian profile.

This diode has multiple emitters. :thinking:

-Trevor

You should look around, it's been posted on this forum and on other sites that this diode does in fact run in single longitudinal mode up to 55mW.

W’s Laserblog

Trevor

You should look around, it's been posted on this forum and on other sites that this diode does in fact run in single longitudinal mode up to 55mW.

W’s Laserblog

Your Link said:
And voila – without any systematic search, I found that the diode runs single longitudinal mode up to 55mW (with Lens-27 at 221mA and 15.4C) ! This is truly exciting, not the least because the diodes are transverse multimode and apparently have many emitters.

You
should read more and learn the difference between longitudinal and transverse modes.

Your link validates what I'm trying to tell you. Multimode (transverse) due to many emitters.

-Trevor

jbtm

Well, at least all this anticipation will end by the end of this week when I can see how mine works (G2). WL told me Monday 1/2 my order is going to ship so I hope they didnt lie. Redhook, at least its possible to adjust it!