Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

So, what's in those cheap 5mW eBay pens? *pic heavy*

Hello folks,

I bought a higher quality 405 pen, so I decided to take the $4 one I had sitting around and try to dip my toes into opening up lasers and checking out what makes them all works! :) The pictures will be a little large, that way you can clearly see what I was aiming to show. Description of the pictures will be above the image. I hope you enjoy :beer:

I first started by showing you guys the laser, it's your typical $5 ebay pointer. Comes in 532/650/635 colors as well. Nothing fancy:

EH3fGRW.jpg

The back of the laser. Has "Laser Pointer" marking on it. 2xAAA's batteries go in here:

0Hm4fGh.jpg
Lq6Ym4Z.jpg

Front of the laser:

x0NlgrQ.jpg

Inside the module part of the laser,
is the well....module.

mcI6ipe.jpg

The label on my pointer. Note, my unit peaked at 35mW's well above the listed output, which is typical of these lasers. Please be careful around these!

WUDz5CW.jpg

Label off, we can now see the sticky residue, and the top cap which can be taken off to reveal the optics! I have to note these top caps are PITA to take off. Much sweat was needed :eek:

F3Y9QUY.jpg
PNuwGny.jpg

Removing the top cap, which reveal the focusing lens which helps bring the divergent dot to a more recognizable pointer size :D

mx8JSOz.jpg

Nnd08D6.jpg

From there, you can simply unscrew the magnifying lens. This will leave you with a highly oval, divergent laser pointer. Also, including is the spring which holds the lens in place :)

FexTVva.jpg
deDZfOJ.jpg
Mgrwwi8.jpg

Final Result: You now have access to the diode, probably a Sony 405 I would assume. Laser now acts more like a flashlight then a dot. Perfect for a violet ambiance ;)

NCpd5kr.jpg
Fswtlmy.jpg
vunmLzG.jpg

Thanks all for looking! I'm sure most hobbyist know what goes into a laser, but I decided to try and bring new interesting material as we are lacking new, affordable wavelengths currently. See you around LPF.
-Alex :)

Sounds like you had a good time tearing this thing down. It has been awhile since I had one apart. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. :yh:

Hello folks,

I bought a higher quality 405 pen, so I decided to take the $4 one I had sitting around and try to dip my toes into opening up lasers and checking out what makes them all works! :) The pictures will be a little large, that way you can clearly see what I was aiming to show. Description of the pictures will be above the image. I hope you enjoy :beer:

Cool, I really like a good tear down video, Especially if I had no idea what would be found OR even more so if i thought i knew more or less what made it tic BUT after watching the video i learned i did not know !

GSS

Nicely done Hap:beer:
Didn't realize those 405's have a lens tension spring:)
Have taken apart many 532 pens but never a 405, good info....
It looks like the front cap gave you a heck of an effort to take off, is that part of it still stuck in the front?

Last edited:
Nicely done Hap:beer:
Didn't realize those 405's have a lens tension spring:)
Have taken apart many 532 pens but never a 405, good info....
It looks like the front cap gave you a heck of an effort to take off, is that part of it still stuck in the front?

Yes! That cap was a pain! :mad:

Good one Alex.
I enjoyed this, brings back memories alright.

Like I said, memories.... :crackup:

:beer:

-Alex

GSS

Get your self a few other cheapie 532's and do the same..You will enjoy it:)
A bit of a different setup and pretty cool..
Not all front caps are hard to take off on these, some are pretty easy;)

Last edited:
Hello folks,

I first started by showing you guys the laser, it's your typical $5 ebay pointer. Comes in 532/650/635 colors as well. Nothing fancy:

The back of the laser. Has "Laser Pointer" marking on it. 2xAAA's batteries go in here:

Front of the laser:

Inside the module part of the laser,
is the well....module.

The label on my pointer. Note, my unit peaked at 35mW's well above the listed output, which is typical of these lasers. Please be careful around these!

Label off, we can now see the sticky residue, and the top cap which can be taken off to reveal the optics! I have to note these top caps are PITA to take off. Much sweat was needed :eek:

Removing the top cap, which reveal the focusing lens which helps bring the divergent dot to a more recognizable pointer size :D

From there, you can simply unscrew the magnifying lens. This will leave you with a highly oval, divergent laser pointer. Also, including is the spring which holds the lens in place :)

Final Result: You now have access to the diode, probably a Sony 405 I would assume. Laser now acts more like a flashlight then a dot. Perfect for a violet ambiance ;)

Thanks all for looking! I'm sure most hobbyist know what goes into a laser, but I decided to try and bring new interesting material as we are lacking new, affordable wavelengths currently. See you around LPF.
-Alex :)
Nicely done Alex... Been a while since I tried
that.

Jerry

Very cool ....! Are you close to Alaska eh?
There is a very long freeway leading from Canada to Alaska! if I do not, there are also military vehicles that go and go!

We should try to stay on the topic for this Thread...:beer:

Jerry

Rivem

Thanks for sharing Alex. Like the others, this brings back memories.

These things seem to be put together with lots of glue and tight press fittings for sure. Definitely makes things difficult.

When I tried to get the green modules out of some, I ended up just using a small pipe cutter to get the rest of the host off so that the module was mostly exposed. That was before I knew higher quality modules were easy to get.