Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

So I dissassebled a whole bunch of DL DVD burners at work today

workin through my diodes, with voltage at 2.5v and amps at .1, is this correct?

GAH most of these are infrared!

Last edited:
Sounds great. Wait for some of the more experienced users to Chime in on what the limits are on current and voltage for Your diodes. It should be safe to go up to between 250ma- 300ma, but I am not 100% certain.

PICS!!

DSC02314.jpg

DSC02316.jpg

And does anyone know what these are?

DSC02317.jpg

DSC02318.jpg

Pictures look good. Do You happen to know the manufacturer and model of the drives the diodes came out of?

Pictures look good. Do You happen to know the manufacturer and model of the drives the diodes came out of?

I'm pretty certain they were both lightscribe drives, and were the same kind of drive. They appear to be BOTH IR and DL burner diodes in one.

IIRC that sounds like something I read here on the forum. You can search to see what has been posted on LightScribe. Someone needs to verify this, but I think that the Diodes from LS drives are around 500mw.

GAH! sorry for posting in your other thread, DTR. How did you mount them once you removed them from the housing?

DTR

GAH! sorry for posting in your other thread, DTR. How did you mount them once you removed them from the housing?

I was hoping one of the more seasoned members could tell me what these diodes were and what they were capable of before I messed with them. I don't even know which are the positive and negative pins. I did not hear back from anyone so I threw them on the shelf to work on other projects but now that you ask I remember them and am still interested to find out what they are.

You could hook them up to the power supply at very low current and see what happens. If you can figure the right polarity and voltage.

The 3 pin non-TO18 diodes will probably be 660/780 combinations. The 3 pin TO18 diodes will be one or the other. An easy way to figure out what a sled is going to have is this. CD only drives will have 780nm only. DVD drives will have both 780 and 660. If you can only find one diode in these sleds, then it has both emitters in it. Bluray drives will have 780, 660 and 405. If they have 3 separate diodes, it's easy. If it has two, generally it'll have a combined 780/660 and a separate 405.

Not many people do much with the flat plastic diode packages yet since they're, so far, fairly hard to heatsink and lens. As they become more common though, i'm sure someone will come up with a fairly easy way to use them in the future.

Last edited:
The 3 pin non-TO18 diodes will probably be 660/780 combinations. The 3 pin TO18 diodes will be one or the other. An easy way to figure out what a sled is going to have is this. CD only drives will have 780nm only. DVD drives will have both 780 and 660. If you can only find one diode in these sleds, then it has both emitters in it. Bluray drives will have 780, 660 and 405. If they have 3 separate diodes, it's easy. If it has two, generally it'll have a combined 780/660 and a separate 405.

But there's no way to take these "combo" diodes and make anything useful from them, is there?