Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Single or double batteries for my Sanwu Challenger II 520nm 1W laser pointer?

Two batteries in series depends on the driver if you get more capacity out of it. A buck driver will give you more capacity with two batteries in series. A linear driver...no. Now, if you are using a boost driver, the bigger single battery is the way to go.

So far, I've only used buck drivers, being a two battery man myself.

GSS

bondic, it just be the lower WL's or some of diodes of this Challenger series can only run on 3.7 to 4.2V and others needing 8.2V to run and the host size is limited.
I would check with Sanwu for the exact spec's of whats needed before you put 2 batterys in, but i'm pretty sure this 1W needs the 2 at 8.4V. You could try 1 18650 but it wil be weak and that is if it runs at all with the 1 battery.
There is like 14 different power and WL choices for this unit..
Only posting this cause there might be some confusion with the OP..

Last edited:
Great replies and advice, guys!! I tried to rep several times to literally ALL of you. :yabbmad::rolleyes: But, I wasn’t allowed.
SGD:beer:

bondic

Wow, thank you all very much for your advice. :yh:

paul1598419: thanks for recommending the battery site. Hadn't heard about them!

Gazen and Alaskan: those PL-E models from JetLasers look fantastic. Thanks for the advice. What's the real difference between the Mini and the Pro? I see that the Pro has a larger Working Temperature range, which might be helpful for us, but am not sure what the other real differences are (other than dimensions/weight and a slight difference in Beam Diameter). Do you know if the Challenger II from Sanwu is less temperature sensitive than those PL-E models?

Thanks again, everyone.

So far, I've only used buck drivers, being a two battery man myself.

:crackup: You sure bought a bunch of boost drivers from astralist. You will have to use series diodes if you are going to try two batteries with them. I don't even know if they can take 8.4 volts in. If they can, they will have to be able to supply up to 18 volts out. I'm not sure if the caps are rated that high.

Gazen

Wow, thank you all very much for your advice. :yh:

paul1598419: thanks for recommending the battery site. Hadn't heard about them!

Gazen and Alaskan: those PL-E models from JetLasers look fantastic. Thanks for the advice. What's the real difference between the Mini and the Pro? I see that the Pro has a larger Working Temperature range, which might be helpful for us, but am not sure what the other real differences are (other than dimensions/weight and a slight difference in Beam Diameter). Do you know if the Challenger II from Sanwu is less temperature sensitive than those PL-E models?

Thanks again, everyone.

Other than the size difference, the Pro has better heatsinking, so a longer runtime. Both will have better runtimes than the Challenger II. They also both have internal adjustable focus that is regarded as the best of any seller by many in this forum.

The dpss PL-E models will be more temperature sensitive than the 520s, but the challenger and the PL-E should have similar temperature sensitivity since they both use diodes.

Edit: Also, I believe that the Pro has a ac port, while the mini does not. If you need a longer runtime, get the Pro.

If you do decide to buy one, please use this link https://www.jetlasers.org/?aff=86 (I'm unbiased in my recommendation, just found out about this when looking through their site :)

Last edited:
:crackup: You sure bought a bunch of boost drivers from astralist. You will have to use series diodes if you are going to try two batteries with them. I don't even know if they can take 8.4 volts in. If they can, they will have to be able to supply up to 18 volts out. I'm not sure if the caps are rated that high.

But I didn't buy them to use in a pointer, another project.

Hi all,
This may be a moot point-depending on what the OP bought-but I have the 1watt 520 nm Sanwu Challenger 2- I specified an 18650. It did not come with any instructions-but the 18650 does not light it up. It needed 2 16350's.
I assume it needed the higher voltage and the 18650 was for the 150 mW version.

bondic, it just be the lower WL's or some of diodes of this Challenger series can only run on 3.7 to 4.2V and others needing 8.2V to run and the host size is limited.
I would check with Sanwu for the exact spec's of whats needed before you put 2 batterys in, but i'm pretty sure this 1W needs the 2 at 8.4V. You could try 1 18650 but it wil be weak and that is if it runs at all with the 1 battery.
There is like 14 different power and WL choices for this unit..
Only posting this cause there might be some confusion with the OP..

I would rather go with the buck than the boost, I also have a ndg7475 running 2 x 18350 cells and that's as small as you would want to go, also buy good quality IMR cells.

CONGRATULATIONS to Gazen for joining the 10+ million rep club. :wave:

I would normally do this in the veteran's section, b ut you wouldn't see it there. :D

Blackholesun

Hi all,
This may be a moot point-depending on what the OP bought-but I have the 1watt 520 nm Sanwu Challenger 2- I specified an 18650. It did not come with any instructions-but the 18650 does not light it up. It needed 2 16350's.
I assume it needed the higher voltage and the 18650 was for the 150 mW version.
I just got one of those 1 watt 520nm lasers today. It does not light up with the single 18650 battery. I have not tried adding a battery. Do you think they sent the wrong battery configuration for me as well?

Those 520 nm diodes have a fairly high forward voltage, so if they use anything but a SEPIC or a boost driver you will need two Li-ion batteries to get it going.

Blackholesun

correction, my new unusable laser is a 635nm red 1 watt Challenger II. It is supposed to have 2 battery compartment for multi mode. They sent it with the single battery compartment. I hear they have great customer service. We will see.