Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

simple diode fix for dummies pics

Since i subscribed to this web site in january i havent broke any lasers.
I like to ride my bike in the sand "Glamis", I also like to carry my laser with me for emergencies, recently my laser lense on diode messed up real bad.
The beam was not clear, it was blochie. So I took a chance with a needle i found in my trailor and started circualing the lense. After lense was cut the laser had a better beam then when i first put it together.
Does anybody know if this will give my diode any heat or other problems?
Here is some pics no lenses. double click to enlarge pics

Attachments

• laser1.jpg
    laser1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

Did you say that you removed the window from the diode?

If so, thats perfectly fine so long as you dont let anything get to the diode. Diodes will sometimes need to be de-canned, a process that removes the front can and window of the diode, usually to keep a broken window from hurting the die. having the window removed will certainly clean up the output pattern but just make sure the diode stays safe and clean.

It has been proven that oxygen will degrade the laser die so expect it to quit working early, I had one that lasted a little over two months after I de-canned it !

I love Glamis I wish the web cam still worked, I was there last summer :D

^^Yup. GaN based diodes are closed can for a reason.

But what is interesting here is you say that you used a needle to cut out the window? Very interesting. I did not know you could do that.

i used the needle because i despetly had to show off this laser to my friends, it didnt cut, the lens cracked in the middle. it took me 45+minites in dark around the camp fire to get it done, it was well worth removing it.this laser was new, my buddies always talk MADSHIT, untill they veiwed and felt the beam. now they respect what they thougth was a joke.

anselm

and felt the beam.
:wtf:
How did you let such a fail happen?:spank:
It boggles the mind.
Please read up on laser safety, or simply sell that class IV monster to someone
here on the forum who would use it responsibly.

anselm, i only use my lasers maybe once a month. the reason why i only use them monthly is for njgth safty in the middle of the desert! not two many people or sheriff in GLAMIS DESERT are worried about lasers. 100,000-300,000 people riding sandrails, atvs,dirt bikes, and many more to list probly need to worry about broken bones or if they will be the one who gets killed that weekend.look up glamis dunes tomorrow for injury and death report. why sell my hobby? or safety laser device. sick and tire of DICK or bob or roberts worrying about others, when dick him self. HAS HIM SELF TO WORRY ABOUT!!!!!and if not how about other isues.Here ill help these people find an issue"JAPAN 23 FOOT TSUNAMI EARTHQUAKE 9.0 NUCLEAR WARNINGS,

anselm

Did I misunderstand that you let your friends "feel" i.e. put their hands into a class IV
laser beam which is, among other things, a skin hazard?
Where's that picture, just a second... oh here it is:
DSC_0010.jpg

Oh and this video

Still agree it's a great idea to let people "feel" the beam?

Last edited:
Did I misunderstand that you let your friends "feel" i.e. put their hands into a class IV
DSC_0010.jpg

Oh and this video

OK, YOU GOT A POINT. IS THAT 1ST PIC CANCER? OR A BURN? iM INTRIGED WITH ANYTHING AND EVERY THING TO DO WITH LASERS, iHAVE MORE FUN TRYN TO BUILD,MOD,OR FIX THAN SHINING A BEAM, I LIKE TO EDUCATE MY SELF WITH DIFFERENT, MISC INFO THAT OTHERS DONT. THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE THAT I COULD EVEN TALK ABOUT THIS KIND OF TECH. iF I EVEN BRING UP A CONVERSATION WITH MY BUDDYS,THEY WONT EVEN HERE ME OUT BECAUSE THERE TOO BUSY LAUGHING AND IMATATING- STARWARS-STAR TREK-AND OTHER FICTIONAL SPACE MAN JOKES...NOW AFTER THAT WEEKEND THEY TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. SO NOW WHEN A CONVERSATION ABOUT LASERS IS REPLYED THEY NOW HAVE A HALF OF A PERCENT KNOWLEDDE, TO NOT CLOWN ON WHAT VERY MANY PEOPLE DONT KNOW OR UNDERSTAND ......THANKS FOR PICS OF CONCERN.

mfo

:wtf:
How did you let such a fail happen?:spank:
It boggles the mind.
Please read up on laser safety, or simply sell that class IV monster to someone
here on the forum who would use it responsibly.

How is that irresponsible?

DSC_0010.jpg

Oh and this video

Please dude, you act like he's going to tie up his buddies so they can't move and then char them. No harm done in a quick "feel" of the beam.

I see a big difference in just letting someone "feel" your laser,

than burning a giant hole in someones arm.

Since i subscribed to this web site in january i havent broke any lasers.
I like to ride my bike in the sand "Glamis", I also like to carry my laser with me for emergencies, recently my laser lense on diode messed up real bad.
The beam was not clear, it was blochie. So I took a chance with a needle i found in my trailor and started circualing the lense. After lense was cut the laser had a better beam then when i first put it together.
Does anybody know if this will give my diode any heat or other problems?
Here is some pics no lenses. double click to enlarge pics
how can you tell if diode is shot?

take youre laser to jeweler they can replace cap lens for diode, just explain and show them. they have all tools needed to easly recap.

i dont think so. the glass in front of the diodes die is ar coated. and the glass is on the inside of the can. i dont think a jewler could do that.

michael.