Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Should I even get a laser?

JBurn

Buy a 1W green laser. It burns, and you can rationalize the purchase by saying you will use it for star pointing in the future. It is incredibly helpful to point out stars with a powerful laser when trying to teach your friends about astronomy
Oh I’ve long since given up on rationalizing or justifying this purchase. I’ve accepted that I just want it because it’s cool and it’s been one of my childhood dreams to have one.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
And there is no problem with that. As long as you treat the laser with due respect and pay attention to safety and laws. Lasers are ‘cool’, there’s no denying that.

please do not shine it at cars , planes, or people-it can be a charge of assault at the municipal level and worse at the federal level.

JBurn

please do not shine it at cars , planes, or people-it can be a charge of assault at the municipal level and worse at the federal level.
Thanks for the reminder, you never know if someone knows to not be stupid with something like this, but yeah I know to absolutely do not ever shine it at vehicles or people. I intend to generally treat it in a manner similar to a firearm and use common sense. I do understand how dangerous a laser this powerful is.

I can confirm that the issue of being scared of using laser is similar to that of firearms. Once you get familiar with how to use it safely there isn't a need to be scared. One still must always pay attention to be safe, but the real danger can be small. If you always use (appropriate, high quality) safety glasses with the laser, don't point it it at reflective surfaces, generally pay attention it is very safe.

In many ways the safety rules are similar to firearms safety rules, eye protection, pay attention to where you are pointing it (around and behind), and never activate until sure, use in controlled environment etc.
I think the majority of the issues occur when people get complacent and use higher power lasers without eye protection, caution etc.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah what's going on? Why do you keep bumping the thread?

I felt that this thread was a good place for anyone who had apprehensions/ interest in getting into the hobby. I liked everyone's input, but we think that it's at a close then I will not bump any more.

Maybe we could start a similar thread and keep it a little more focused and see if we could get it stickied for newcomers? Depending on the quality of the thread's content, though, it could backfire.

Let us see if anybody has any ideas. But, we can end this thred at any time.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I'll sticky any helpful threads you guys make just let me know. I think that would be a good idea to have one for starters

JBurn

I can confirm that the issue of being scared of using laser is similar to that of firearms. Once you get familiar with how to use it safely there isn't a need to be scared. One still must always pay attention to be safe, but the real danger can be small. If you always use (appropriate, high quality) safety glasses with the laser, don't point it it at reflective surfaces, generally pay attention it is very safe.

In many ways the safety rules are similar to firearms safety rules, eye protection, pay attention to where you are pointing it (around and behind), and never activate until sure, use in controlled environment etc.
I think the majority of the issues occur when people get complacent and use higher power lasers without eye protection, caution etc.
Hadn’t checked this thread in a while. But thanks, I’m glad to hear that it gets less scary (I want to enjoy it lol) but I’ll also need to make sure I don’t become carless. I will be treating it similar to a firearm, though with some extra care paid to the risk of reflections.

I got 2 pairs (2 so I can show it off to other people) of OD7 glasses for the appropriate wavelength from laserglow.com, which having arrived, appear to have been sourced from NoIR, so from what I’ve heard I think that means they’re good?