Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Share your inexpensive builds thread

Pman

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin bout:) Love those little cheapo hosts. Can't help looking for stuff like that in every store I go in LOL. I either have that host or something just like it.
The small MXDL is a lot bigger pain than the longer one so fair warning;) Love to see what you come up with.

Oh yeah, HI LAZERBEAK!

Pete

Jander said:
flies beware.

:crackup:

Hi Pman! I just got a nice little free host. A silver Neiko 3W luxeon, running off 2 CR123's. Popped 2 16340's in there to see what would happen :rolleyes:

It was REAL bright for about 7 mins :crackup: Well, I now know what burned out switches smell like :eek:

Will make a nice host once I figure out what to put in there ;) I'll post once I put a LD in there.

~ LB

Pman

Now I know where I've seen that host, it's the light I've been using to help build some stuff LOL. It has been just the right amount of light as most of my lights are way too strong. Has a little key chain on the end. Man, I knew I had that one somewhere and it was right in front of my face:) (or more likely in my 3rd hand ... mouth).

Man who can shoot down fly in the air with low powered laser can do anything....

Hope you've been doing well LZB! Had to go to the Doc again today:( Hard to get rid of this cruddy pain mess I'm in. Too bad some of you guys can't come over and check out my new laser projector that I had to pay in spurts to Hak for. Total noob with it. Just came yesterday but trying to figure out if it has a sound sensitivity issue in the mic pickup. Hope not or at least hope it's an easy fix.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear the doc Pman. Hopefully he was able to help out a bit. I was waiting for an update on your awesome new projector. Congratulations! You'll have to tell us all about it once you get it figured out.

Try to take it easy, I'll PM you tomorrow with some info ;)

Think I may have to try one of those Fasttech single AAA greens :thinking:

~ LB

Thanks for the info Pete. I did read most all of the posts, but I have slept since then :crackup: I do have some 5 volt modules and other stuff coming so building will commence when they arrive. I will post my builds here to share with you all. I remember reading you burned up a few drivers by shorting out the pots while powered. I have a couple drivers if you need them. I saw on fasttech they have ceramic screw drivers mite help that problem?

Pman

Just so you all know, I do still exist:)
Have been having a really tough time at work taking care of issues and dealing with my kidney pain. I'm 5'5" with a good muscular build and although muscle is heavier than fat, when I weighed myself this morning I was down to 125.3 lbs (haven't weighed that little in probably 35 years). It's not that I don't eat either. It's pain meds and stress.
Anyways, I haven't had the energy to post or read through things. I will say that for stress relief I do builds and although I haven't shown any in a while, there's a lot of new ones completed but not "dressed" up with labels, O-rings, etc...

Best wishes to all you guys and happy building!

Pete

Good to see you on Pman! :D Hope things get better for you soon. Looking forward to seeing what you've been working on. Hopefully I'll get back to my Stylus build this weekend :)

~ LB

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry to hear you've been feeling poorly Pman, get well soon! :)
Looking forward to seeing more of your unique builds.

Star Trek TNG phaser made by playmates, vintage from 1992 $20
DX 50mw 532nm module for $16
RadioShack micro momentary switch $3.97

Sounds still function :na:

Pman

Now that's what I'm talkin bout!
Very nice:)
Bet my sister has tons of that stuff (big trek fan).
Now isn't it more fun/interesting to come up with a build yourself that maybe no-one else has;)
Immediate REP to you and thanks for sharing it with us.

Pete

Thank you. Yes. I wanted a nerdy pointer for my astronomy meets. having "grown up" with Star Trek TNG it seemed fitting

Pman

I'm also a big fan of Star-Trek but just not a collector of things other than all the movies. I grew up with the originals:)

Last edited:

Pman

Dealing with "stuff" so haven't been active much on the forum.
However, I haven't been doing nothing;)

3a3e.jpg

fh37.jpg

9ehc.jpg

g8up.jpg

q3kh.jpg

Made a "Lazerbeak special" with a complete module 520nm and G2 lens that my friend had suplied from DTR >100mw and it's a beaut! Not sure where I should post it yet and I'm still trying to figure out how I want to "dress" the host too.

Also, made a "Pman special" combining 2 different hosts (1 from Walmart and another from Fasttech) when I found out they fit perfectly and I personally think it looks fantastic. Not ready to release that one yet though as I have a couple more to build with slightly different "dressings".

Last edited:
These are Amazing Pman! :beer: Looks like you've been quite productive :thinking: I think the forum will enjoy seeing your two specials too, You are actually a really amazing builder and I'm glad people are getting to see more of your work ;) I like all the unique hosts you've got going on there in your magic case :D

Noticed you got a chance to measure some of them. Nice number on that Ray O Vac (112mw). Still amazed at how powerful and stable your builds are.

~ LB

Last edited:

Pman

You mean the B&D right:)
The stability of the 532nm is actually all over the place like most. Sometimes I get lucky and get some that don't jump around so much and other times they are kind of a big pain. Also have issues with some of the smaller builds getting good conductivity. The switches are the weakest point. When I build a pen looking one like the top 1st and 3rd ones they really kind of stink for trying to make sure all the "juice" gets to the module and unfortunately sometimes I have to keep messing with them. I've had 2 of the Black and Decker units switches not function well as sometimes they would turn on by themselves when you shook the unit or tapped it:(
Those 2 camo Streamlight pens are built different inside than the regular ones and I had to come up with a solution to bet the - to the module as there is something the way they put them together where there's a nonconductive insulator between the top section and the bottom and they don't come apart. They come as a green led and not a regular light.
A bunch of these units came from different auto parts places. You never know what store is going to have a different type of flashlight. Some were really cheap as they were marked for clearance.
Here's a couple of shots between the LB and Pman specials for fun.
Both have about the same output but the beams are different.
Not showing the hosts on purpose;)
Lazerbeak will be receiving one of the "Pman specials" once I get the other hosts in following the 2 I have coming now. Will say that it only costs <$10 for both hosts together. Finding out that they fit together made me do the happy dance.... well, not actually......

e606.jpg

6shh.jpg

mwaj.jpg

00if.jpg

v1kr.jpg

I'm not sure why yet but there's a significant difference between my laserbtb (SKY) HL515 41mw and these units. My guess is that the 515 is actually lower or the 520 is pushing up in nm due to driving it a bit hard to get over 100mw. Don't think the power difference is making up for the color. What I am saying is I can easily see a difference between the 515 and 520. The 515 looks significantly darker.

Anyways, I am hoping to have the parts I need to do 2 more of the "Pman specials" before I post them plus I want to takes some pics showing how I built them this time.

I also have a camo 2 AA minimag that I'm going to build that looks like it is going to have to have a momentary push button on the side rather than a tail clicky unless I figure out how to get a tail switch in there (would rather have a tail switch than a momentary switch). I have a couple of these to try that I've had for a long time. Maybe it will work.
http://www.batteryjunction.com/niizeiqswupy.html?gclid=CN-1vpLxh7kCFZOk4AodsEsALA

Last edited: