Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Scared of messed up m140 diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAbro

As I said, that is not what damaged it. The diode window was scratched so I tried to drill out the glass. The glass dust damaged it.

upaa27

As I said, that is not what damaged it. The diode window was scratched so I tried to drill out the glass. The glass dust damaged it.

The glass dust was caused by the drill. If you take even a precision drill press at 6500rpm to a highly sensitive semiconductor with a window thinner than a piece of paper chances are that it will break.

The stuff on the window was most likely caused from burning withought a lens. It will only burn without a lense if you literally press the diode to the material so there is a high chance it will get some material on it.

I know this was your first time so at least you learned something, however it is pretty obvious that you should not take a drill press to it even if the bit is small.

Next time use a q tip. :)

Last edited:

USAbro

I did use a q-tip for over an hour with a microscope to view the scratch on the diode..

Last edited:
I don't understand?

Umm... push the diode window out with a Q-tip. What don't you understand? You had your reasons to not send it to DTR, fine, but a drill? You chose that (which, by the way, you never would have considered if you READ instead of posting) instead of using an exacto knife to decan it? Seriously, a simple search would have told you how to clean the window. More research would have shown you how to proceed if cleaning failed.

USAbro

No way to clean a scratch off a window. But pushing it out could have been an option although I think it would have shattered too.

Last edited:
No way to clean a scratch off a window. But pushing it out could have been an option although I think it would have shattered too.

That's how it is with LDs. Once something happens to the window, it's already "marked for death". When cleaning it doesn't solve the problem, you got basically 3 options.

1. Continue using it. This will likely reduce it's life due to optical damage.
2. Toss the diode.
3. Decan it. This also will reduce it's life, and also make it much more susceptible to damage from debris.

Well now I may be convincing the Chinese company to replace the whole thing or refund, on the account that the crap charger that came with it didn't work, and damaged the stock batteries by over discharging them.

i hope you don't. Some chinese sellers may be scammy, but you are apparently no better.

You used a DRILL PRESS on a LASER DIDOE.
100% YOUR OWN FAULT
I hope you don't get a refund, you don't deserve it, and its incredibly dishonest of you. And blaming the charger to get a refund? Wow. I really don't know what to say, other than I wish I could neg rep you again. (edit: I can now! yay.)

LOL then he invites me to a group called "mistakes." Yea, no. I got a spec of dust burned onto a diode window one time, and I dealt with it intelligently, I didn't just go ham with powertools. I carefully removed the window (CAREFULLY, you know, like, WITH CARE).

Edit: How do I 'ignore' the group invite? There's obviously not a snowballs chance in hell I'm joining it, and the notification annoys me. edit again: figured it out (i so smart)

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
@pman - Sorry, but unfortunately, it's was time spent that we'll never get back. :cryyy:

@starlight - Check here for the moderators list; very bottom of the page, right side. :)

Last edited:
@starlight - Check here for the moderators list; very bottom of the page, right side. :)
Jeff your to good to us :beer:

P.S. It's been awhile since you visited the warehouse and wanted to bring you up to speed. Ken's laferrari has not arrived yet but I will contact you when it does..... I know you want to see it, we all do.

Status
Not open for further replies.