Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ridiculus Laser Pointer Pro product videos

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
If it's a US based company then report them to the FDA/CDRH and let them take care of it. Not much you can do outside of that really.

Someone should report them, someone is going to get hurt eventually.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
This is a shame. What makes it worse, is that there are more companies like that.

Last edited:
I think that safety wise, ebay is probably worse. That site pretty much just re-sells ebay lasers at outrageous prices.

Not to chime in too late here, but I actually got really deep into some e-mail based fighting with them last year. Some family and friends found the site and thought these would be perfect gifts for me (great idea!), but of course every single laser they sold were severely underspec. I measured all of them -- their claimed 2W 520nm measured up to 120mW; their claimed 5W 405nm was ~800mW 445nm. All just terrible lasers.

I let them know about the issue, and they had me send my units back to be replaced, but of course I ran into the same issue. Luckily, a number of my friends are lawyers and helped me out with this. I talked to laserpointerpro quite a bit and let them know about the false advertising and how I was pursuing legal action. Unfortunately, though, since they're based in Hong Kong, there wasn't anything we could do :(

Horrible customer service, and they are definitely aware that the lasers they're selling are severely underspec. If anyone knows any influential people in Hong Kong, maybe then we can do something. Short of an illegal DDoS, I doubt we'll be able to do much *sob*

That sucks, your friends must have been very upset. Can't belive they would sell a 445 as a 405. And wow that 520 was so under spec. Was it even 520 or was it a 532? I bet most of their customer base wouldn't even know there were problems because they are so uneducated. Wish there was a way to shut them down. Maybe the site could get blocked in the us for infringements?

Last edited:

Sta

That sucks, your friends must have been very upset. Can't belive they would sell a 445 as a 405. And wow that 520 was so under spec. Was it even 520 or was it a 532? I bet most of their customer base wouldn't even know there were problems because they are so uneducated. Wish there was a way to shut them down. Maybe the site could get blocked in the us for infringements?

The US does not and should not block websites. The only thing that can realistically be done is to get the company on the 'banned imports' list like they did with Wicked Lasers. But doing so would be like hitting a beehive. It might lead to a lot of unintended consequences.

Well that's one of the big issues with this place. I continually reminded them about how insanely off-spec these things were. All of the people who bought these for me (seriously, they got me like 5 lasers) were so excited that they were adding a 5W laser to my arsenal since they knew I didn't have one (little did they know there are reasons for that). So then I felt extra bad that these people wasted their money and were super disappointed, and I couldn't get them a refund. I'm basically trying to take these things apart and reuse the hosts to get these things closer to spec, but damn it has been an ordeal.

I never measured the green laser beyond the ridiculously low power. I had a great e-mail chain with them about it where I kept saying things like, "Look, I own a 2W laser. Here is a video of a confirmed 2W laser doing different burn tests and undergoing a power test. Here is a video of your supposed 2W and a power reading." Their "2W" wasn't even warm to the touch. They insisted it was just that I didn't have it focused correctly, which I argued about.

The best part was when I asked for some documentation or any proof of the power of these things and that they had been tested. I was "assured" that their "scientists" did thorough testing and quality control. As for documentation, they linked me to the listing on their site which just makes their claims. And they got VERY confused when I tried to explain to them how you can't make a ridiculous claim and have your citation be a webpage you created just stating the same ridiculous claim.

God I hate these guys.

Sta

Probably something along the lines of a more "blanketed" ban. Although I'm not sure that'd be at all effective...

Right. You give government an inch, they take a mile. LaserPointerPro sells very generic hosts. Trying to ban LaserPointerPro products might lead to all of their laser hosts being blacklisted, which means no more eBay lasers.

Razako

Is there any hobby with more scamsites, ripoff artists and general misinformation than lasers? It seems like these sites pop up all over the place putting out ridiculous claims and unsafe info. Blatantly mislabeled products, lies, false advertising,etc.

I guess it's because many people don't know ANYTHING about lasers and will believe whatever they're told.

Biglasers.com
Laserpointerpro.com
warnlaser.com
worldscoolestlasers.com

These are 4 of the most notable scam companies I've seen.

Reactions: GSS

Sta

Is there any hobby with more scamsites, ripoff artists and general misinformation than lasers? It seems like these sites pop up all over the place putting out ridiculous claims and unsafe info. Blatantly mislabeled products, lies, false advertising,etc.

I guess it's because many people don't know ANYTHING about lasers and will believe whatever they're told.

Biglasers.com
Laserpointerpro.com
warnlaser.com
worldscoolestlasers.com

These are 4 of the most notable scam companies I've seen.

Biglasers is overpriced, but not as scammy as the other 3. They at least appear to sell CNI products, and I considered purchasing a 593.5nm pointer from them before I ended up buying from a forum member.

yes exactly. Green lasers are bright enough that they can get away with any power claim when selling to unexperienced buyers. And i think your right, there are far to many scam sites and low quality lasers out there. One of my other hobbies is electric scooters and there is a site that is very popular that lies about motor power, speed, and has very poor customer service.