Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rep system

Bring back the rep system?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Yes but moderated

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No people cannot be trusted with it

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Hey everyone. How many of you would like to have a rep system back in place? Spoken to Ave about it and he seems to be okay with the idea. I just wanted to make a poll to see how many would want it back. Let me know what you guys think.

Eidetical

I’m fine with my thread being deleted as long as the politics doesn’t spill onto other threads. That’s why I made the poisonous thread in the first place
Dealing with those who bring such garbage into threads of other topics has got to be better than dealing with the splintering of a community defined by interest in laser related issues by constant blathering of unmoderated and /or ignorant opinions, mine included. Looking at posts in that thread only destroys respect, overrides (or at least colors) other contributions, and keeps conflict at the top of the list. Same with the rep system. More will participate if the forum is "on topic", apolitical, and impersonal.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Dealing with those who bring such garbage into threads of other topics has got to be better than dealing with the splintering of a community defined by interest in laser related issues by constant blathering of unmoderated and /or ignorant opinions, mine included. Looking at posts in that thread only destroys respect, overrides (or at least colors) other contributions, and keeps conflict at the top of the list. Same with the rep system. More will participate if the forum is "on topic", apolitical, and impersonal.
Got to keep it that way. Did you see the mess the forum was in during the second to last us election. Politics was spilling everywhere. And members like me who doesn’t give a 💩 about us politics had to deal with most threads being derailed. That’s why I created that thread.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
A lot of forums do have a :poop: post area for just this reason - to keep it all contained. Also a boxing ring area is often used to allowing fighting between members that don't like each other, but to keep it out of on topic threads. That thread is in Off Topic after all.

I'd much prefer to have it contained in one thread than playing whack-a-mole all over the forum. If any one member really goes too far they can still be dealt with on an individual basis, it's not a total free for all. It should make it easy for people who don't want to hear about politics, simply ignore that thread. Same with a crap post or boxing ring, makes it much easier to ignore for people who only want to talk about lasers than having stuff pop up randomly.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I also don’t get those saying to get rid of it when it being a single thread means they can just ignore it altogether. It’s like being against football and going to watch a match and then protesting for them to stop. Stay out of the way. Don’t visit the thread. The clue is in the name. And my first post sums it up. Because it’s my thread, I get notifications daily for it and I’ve probably posted a handful of times. Yet it’s probably the largest thread of mine since I joined.

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Well we did do a poll about the politics thread and it was pretty much decided to stay. My only issue with it is the racism. I don't think that should be allowed. What do you think?
Also the rep equivalent for xenforo could be fun. Simon and I can monitor it and make sure it doesn't get abused like last time. Just thought it would bring a few members back.
I dunno, share your comments.

Eidetical

Your previous poll certainly didn't include those who left, or were unfairly drummed out because of rep system abuse over years. It probably did include many of those who benefitted by that abuse.

The rep deal is useless as people who have been members longer will have more points than a newer person who is much more knowledgeable/helpful.

It would always be slanted by groups of friends who rep each other for anything/everything.

New members with real value they could add to the forum will be turned off by the " less abled " with a pile of pity votes, also you will see the negative repers who thrill with punishing people over minor things and new members will get the worst of it as they have very little if any ability to fight back.

You could let only the moderators dole out rep points, but I have heard mods complain about having too much to do already, so that's not fair to ask of them, plus it could create hard feelings between mods and members when people feel like they haven't been repped enough.

Maybe just let it be based on math, the number of posts times the number of days a person has been a member......but that's kind of what it is minus the bs anyway, so why alienate new members with some big rep number above everyone's head and a little number over theirs making them an easy target ?

Hell why not post everyone's annual income, home value/net worth, attractiveness of their significant other, just anything to let people judge each other at a glance based on flawed criteria ...........I tell you why not, because people will grow to know who can be trusted and who's more knowledgeable by participating over time.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Your previous poll certainly didn't include those who left, or were unfairly drummed out because of rep system abuse over years. It probably did include many of those who benefitted by that abuse.
Any idea how to get them back?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I changed my vote to no for the rep system. We have a point score system that is essentially a +1 reputation system anyway. I’m guilty of ‘abusing’ the rep system in the end. Simply because it was already useless by then so me and many members just had fun getting it to overflow the 32 bit system that it was based on. It bought a bit of entertainment. People did put too much weight in that number besides them. Respect is earnt. A member that has been around a while and has shared their knowledge to help others will naturally become respected despite any value next to their name. Stick with the point system that is already inbuilt into xenforo. No need to mess around. Otherwise how do you accurately reflect members past and present into a new system?

The only thing I wish we could do is give a message to the person we are liking/+1 to their score. I miss giving positive feedback or a friendly comment. Also I do believe a -1 option should be available. Having a weighted rep system again would just lend itself to a integer overflow and abuse like it did before. If there is a way of giving reputed member some sensible amount of weight to their rep then it would make sense. Like a +/- 2-5, rather than +/- 100,000,000!
Because I have to admit it did feel good when I was new to be repped by a veteran and see my rep score jump.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Well we did do a poll about the politics thread and it was pretty much decided to stay. My only issue with it is the racism. I don't think that should be allowed. What do you think?
Also the rep equivalent for xenforo could be fun. Simon and I can monitor it and make sure it doesn't get abused like last time. Just thought it would bring a few members back.
I dunno, share your comments.
As for the racism. Of course there should not be.

My thread rules alone says no:

• Respect other members opinions
  • Do not disrespect any fellow members
  • Keep any potential debates in this thread or in any relevant threads.
  • No racism or any other type of discriminating or derogatory comments.
  • Remember there isn't always a right and wrong answer.
  • Don't post comments and just leave the debate. Expect to be asked to justify your opinions.

Let alone site rules. On the poll for closing the thread I voted it should remain open but be moderated like any other thread. And it still stands. It’s not a thread equivalent of the purge.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
As for the racism. Of course there should not be.

My thread rules alone says no:

• Respect other members opinions
  • Do not disrespect any fellow members
  • Keep any potential debates in this thread or in any relevant threads.
  • No racism or any other type of discriminating or derogatory comments.
  • Remember there isn't always a right and wrong answer.
  • Don't post comments and just leave the debate. Expect to be asked to justify your opinions.

Let alone site rules. On the poll for closing the thread I voted it should remain open but be moderated like any other thread. And it still stands. It’s not a thread equivalent of the purge.
That's the issue we're having now. Those rules have long since been broken. I just don't know what I should or shouldn't moderate. I do have a job to do and I take it seriously but I also don't want to over do it. I feel that comments about racism should not be allowed but if members keep doing it then what should I do? I already handed out temp bans. What's next an actual permaban? I'd hate to do that because the debate can be engaging when both sides are represented but it's been far from a debate.
Should I just leave the thread the way it is and just moderate everything else besides it?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
On topic, I agree that the rep system should just be worth one point either way much like the like system we have. I would like to see positive and negative feedback and without a cap in addition. The old system was easy to gang up on others and it caused a huge rep war. I don't think lpf has quite recovered by that even to this day from the backlash.
113 seems to be the max we can get with what we got now.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Reaction score is different. Look at the members section. You’ll see how many times a member has received a rep. Points is achievement related.