Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Reliable source for 532nm modules?

Hmm. Did you heat sink the driver output transistor. It runs hot anyway and with it set higher will run blazing hot. Also, you need to heat sink the brass module that holds the pump diode too. Try to apply the set screw where the diode is by the driver.

No I didn't, my heatsinks haven't arrived yet and I wasn't planning on using these modules in my host. I thought that stuff was only necessary for the atplightingworld module, guess my modules must have overheated. The output transistor doesn't even get warm anymore.

diachi

No I didn't, my heatsinks haven't arrived yet and I wasn't planning on using these modules in my host. I thought that stuff was only necessary for the atplightingworld module, guess my modules must have overheated. The output transistor doesn't even get warm anymore.

How long did you run them like that for?

The output transistor won't get warm if it's only pulling 20-30mA.

In that case, these would have a short duty cycle. It would be okay to run them for a short period, but not long at all. At least you didn't lose anything too expensive. Be careful with the expensive one when it arrives. You don't want to have to repair it for not taking the necessary precautions.

GSS

That's a bummer, still strange on all 4 like paul mentioned.
All of my Pman set modules are still working although I got them when already in builds.
Iv'e blown a few setting my own but mostly from my own stupidity.
The drivers don't seem to get hot, no where near the Aptlighting. It's just these modules are so exposed and so easy to short which I did quite few times by not having the right equipment. Pman first off sent me a set of little ceramic screw drivers because right of the bat I shorted a few by using jewelers screw drivers.
I didn't have the right alligator clips either and would use a battery box and just wrap the wires around what was needed and leaving them exposed:whistle::eek:
Iv'e set the amp's with 2 AAA's then power it with a 18650 or something:(
Iv'e also had quite a few successes and the ones I got didn't seem that fragile other than shorting them and like paul can't see all 4 fail.
They seem to come from the factory at .280mah and on a few the pot didn't let it go much higher than the .430mah but still they are working.
Did you have ESD strap protection?

Last edited:
That's a bummer, still strange on all 4 like paul mentioned.
All of my Pman set modules are still working although I got them when already in builds.
Iv'e blown a few setting my own but mostly from my own stupidity.
The drivers don't seem to get hot, no where near the Aptlighting. It's just these modules are so exposed and so easy to short which I did quite few times by not having the right equipment. Pman first off sent me a set of little ceramic screw drivers because right of the bat I shorted a few by using jewelers screw drivers.
I didn't have the right alligator clips either and would use a battery box and just wrap the wires around what was needed and leaving them exposed:whistle::eek:
Iv'e set the amp's with 2 AAA's then power it with a 18650 or something:(
Iv'e also had quite a few successes and the ones I got didn't seem that fragile other than shorting them and like paul can't see all 4 fail.
They seem to come from the factory at .280mah and on a few the pot didn't let it go much higher than the .430mah but still they are working.
Did you have ESD strap protection?

I'm sorry but I don't know what that is. I'm thinking I may have shorted my modlules as well, I also had a very DIY style setup which was probably not the best choice. Would a short cause the diode to die?

How long did you run them like that for?

The output transistor won't get warm if it's only pulling 20-30mA.

Even when I first got them the output transistor would be become too hot to touch on all the modules after just around 20 seconds of use. The transistors were in a way shielded though by the resistor(??? Big blue thing), so I could feel it getting warm from heat transferring. When I actually touched the transistor it was hot.

GSS

I'm sorry but I don't know what that is. I'm thinking I may have shorted my modlules as well, I also had a very DIY style setup which was probably not the best choice. Would a short cause the diode to die?
The best I can describe it is a ESD strap is a wrist band that kinda grounds your body to help with static shock which can short a diode. You can have just a cheapie wrist band type or one that attaches also to a metal ground. Your modules also usually come shipped in protective anti static bag.
Many members swear by them and even have rubber mats under their feet when building anything.
I shorted a module with the metal jewlers screw driver as my hand isn't too steady and the pot is surrounded by resistors and easy to do. Exposed wires from my battery source like I said drifted and touched the module at the wrong point and instant shorting happened as these modules don't forgive.
This is more for you to get the right testing setup's than a teach post cause obviously iv'e done alot wrong before getting it right:thinking::eek:
Alot of DMM clips and such are available cheap at "Harbor Freight Tools" that has bean a blessing for this hobby..

Last edited:
The best I can describe it is a ESD strap is a wrist band that kinda grounds your body to help with static shock which can short a diode. You can have just a cheapie wrist band type or one that attaches also to a metal ground. Your modules also usually come shipped in protective anti static bag.
Many members swear by them and even have rubber mats under their feet when building anything.
I shorted a module with the metal jewlers screw driver as my hand isn't too steady and the pot is surrounded by resistors and easy to do. Exposed wires from my battery source like I said drifted and touched the module at the wrong point and instant shorting happened as these modules don't forgive.
This is more for you to get the right testing setup's than a teach post cause obviously iv'e done alot wrong before getting it right:thinking::eek:
Alot of DMM clips and such are available cheap at "Harbor Freight Tools" that has bean a blessing for this hobby..

Ohh, I have definitely seen one of those, I think I heard about them when I was building by brother's gaming PC. No I don't have one of those, although I probably should.

Sadly Harbor Freight is not in Canada to my knowledge but I'm sure I could find alligator clips somewhere else.

I just found out that my module is here and will probably be delivered tomorrow so maybe I can start the build. Might have to hold myself back if my heatsinks aren't here yet though.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

Ohh, I have definitely seen one of those, I think I heard about them when I was building by brother's gaming PC. No I don't have one of those, although I probably should.

Sadly Harbor Freight is not in Canada to my knowledge but I'm sure I could find alligator clips somewhere else.

I just found out that my module is here and will probably be delivered tomorrow so maybe I can start the build. Might have to hold myself back if my heatsinks aren't here yet though.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Yes, like paul said that driver on the 200mw Aptlighting will get hot and you can feel instantly the sink doing its job. Good luck and don't rush and let the other's with way more experience and knowlegde chime in:beer:

Yes, like paul said that driver on the 200mw Aptlighting will get hot and you can feel instantly the sink doing its job. Good luck and don't rush and let the other's with way more experience and knowlegde chime in:beer:

Thanks GSS I definitely will.

You bet! If you shorted the negative supply to the cathode of the LD it would kill it immediately. When the module is under power, you shouldn't be doing anything with it especially with anything metal.

So tomorrow once I receive my module do you think it would be ok to adjust the pot (while the brass part of the module is heatsinked) even though I don't have the SMD heatsinks yet. Then just put it in the host and use it very little giving it ample time to cool down? Then once I get the heatsinks just stick it on?

I would wait to adjust the power up until you have everything you need. You can try it for short periods with cool down when it arrives, but I would not do anything to the power until you have heat sinked everything first. It's a $60.00 gamble and you don't want to do that.

Last edited:
Ok, the waiting is going to kill me but I think it'll be worth it. The heatsinks didn't have a tracking # so I have no clue where they are. And just to recap, extra 80 degrees ish right?