Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about laser glasses

squish

Hello all, I hope you are well!

I've just finished building my 15w 450nm beast based on 2x NUBM47-V2's and I noticed something when looking at the dot through my laser glasses, it was visible and quite bright (The glasses are 190-540nm OD6 from survival lasers)

I decided to enclose the laser and glasses in a box with a hole cut behind the glasses, and when the laser is on nothing seems to be passing through. None of my other lasers seem to have this effect, usually I can only just tell if the laser is on or not through these glasses. Even a single NUBM47 @ 7W doesnt seem to have this effect either. So I'm assuming 15W is just too much light for these glasses to block safely. Which is strange as OD6 should reduce the light to 0.00001% of its original strength (0.0015mw)

My question is, is it safe to view the dot through these glasses? Or would I need glasses with a higher rating?
The dot is quite bright still through the glasses and does leave a dot in my vision for a few seconds after looking at it through the glasses. Is my math correct for the total light that should get through the glasses?

Thanks!

I'd be willing to bet those aren't true OD6 glasses, I'm sure they are nice glasses but probably not OD6. I have a set of glasses (unknown rating) that I use with my 125W NUBM37 laser and the dot is just barely visible, only bright enough to let me know what its pointed at, assuming what I'm pointing at hasn't already burst into flames lol

Hello all, I hope you are well!

I've just finished building my 15w 450nm beast based on 2x NUBM47-V2's and I noticed something when looking at the dot through my laser glasses, it was visible and quite bright (The glasses are 190-540nm OD6 from survival lasers)

I decided to enclose the laser and glasses in a box with a hole cut behind the glasses, and when the laser is on nothing seems to be passing through. None of my other lasers seem to have this effect, usually I can only just tell if the laser is on or not through these glasses. Even a single NUBM47 @ 7W doesnt seem to have this effect either. So I'm assuming 15W is just too much light for these glasses to block safely. Which is strange as OD6 should reduce the light to 0.00001% of its original strength (0.0015mw)

My question is, is it safe to view the dot through these glasses? Or would I need glasses with a higher rating?
The dot is quite bright still through the glasses and does leave a dot in my vision for a few seconds after looking at it through the glasses. Is my math correct for the total light that should get through the glasses?

Thanks!

Is the bright spot you can see while wearing your glasses blue or is it the color of your laser safety glasses ?
If it's blue then your glasses are no good.

squish

Is the bright spot you can see while wearing your glasses blue or is it the color of your laser safety glasses ?
If it's blue then your glasses are no good.
Hey! The dot is the same colour as the safety glasses. I originally thought maybe a different wavelength is getting through but a single Nubm47 doesn't do this, so I'm confused as to why its happening with 2 of them.

This is 7W of blue light on a white wall with no glasses, obviously don't look at this it will damage your eyes

No-glasses.jpg

This is that same dot as seen through glasses with an OD rating too low for the laser in use. The laser's blue wavelength is making it through the glasses which is why the dot still appears blue through the red lens

Weak-glasses.jpg

This is the dot as seen through glasses with a higher OD rating appropriate for the laser, the dot can be seen but the blue wavelength of the laser is not making it through the lens

Good-glasses.jpg

squish

I'd be willing to bet those aren't true OD6 glasses, I'm sure they are nice glasses but probably not OD6. I have a set of glasses (unknown rating) that I use with my 125W NUBM37 laser and the dot is just barely visible, only bright enough to let me know what its pointed at, assuming what I'm pointing at hasn't already burst into flames lol
I thought that originally, but that'd mean the 7w dot would also be pretty bright too. The 7 and 15w dots are night and day difference, the 7 I can barely see and the 15 hurts my eyes to look at. So I'm not too sure what's going on here tbf.

squish

This is 7W of blue light on a white wall with no glasses, obviously don't look at this it will damage your eyes

No-glasses.jpg

This is that same dot as seen through glasses with an OD rating too low for the laser in use. The laser's blue wavelength is making it through the glasses which is why the dot still appears blue through the red lens

Weak-glasses.jpg

This is the dot as seen through glasses with a higher OD rating appropriate for the laser, the dot can be seen but the blue wavelength of the laser is not making it through the lens

Good-glasses.jpg
The 7w (Only 1 out of the 2 NUBM47s powered up) looks identical to the 2nd photo you sent, its a small red dot that is only just visible. The 15w (both on) looks similar but its a much paler red, almost an orange and is EXTREMELY bright.

I thought maybe some other wavelength was being generated that these glasses do not block but I can't see any reason for this happening. I have another blue (445nm 15w engraving laser) which also looks identical to the 2nd photo so I can't see why this is happening with my build.

julianthedragon

I shop for glasses at NoIR Laser, which Laserglow has been known to source their glasses from.

It's very nice, you can filter by desired wavelength, OD, and CE certification (select yes).

Then when you find good safety lenses, they offer a large variety of different glasses frames including standard lab safety glasses, full eye coverage, regular aviators, and scuba-like goggles.

The 7w (Only 1 out of the 2 NUBM47s powered up) looks identical to the 2nd photo you sent, its a small red dot that is only just visible. The 15w (both on) looks similar but its a much paler red, almost an orange and is EXTREMELY bright.

Those just aren't up to the task then unfortunately. I ran the test again with the same two glasses this time with 125W's of blue

125-no-glasses.jpg

The amount of blue coming through these glasses is still too bright to look at

125-weak-glasses.jpg

Much better! No blue and I can still see where the dot is on the concrete

125-good-glasses.jpg

squish

Those just aren't up to the task then unfortunately. I ran the test again with the same two glasses this time with 125W's of blue

125-no-glasses.jpg

The amount of blue coming through these glasses is still too bright to look at

125-weak-glasses.jpg

Much better! No blue and I can still see where the dot is on the concrete

125-good-glasses.jpg
I can't see any blue light through these glasses though, the dot is entirely red/orange but its extremely bright. Surely if light was getting through it'd be blue still right? My 15w 445nm engraving laser doesn't seem to have this problem, only my 2x nubm44 build. Which I find rather strange.

You can try a light pair of red blockers in addition to your blue blockers, I have done this before when burning up close.

Try these along with your good quality laser safety glasses that block 445-455nm and remember these are only to cut down on the brightness of your orange spot when used with your 445-455 quality laser safety glasses.

Note: Get the light blue ones to block some of your orange spot when used with your normal 445-445nm attenuating laser safety glasses.

Last edited:

squish

You can try a light pair of red blockers in addition to your blue blockers, I have done this before when burning up close.

Try these along with your good quality laser safety glasses that block 445-455nm and remember these are only to cut down on the brightness of your orange spot when used with your 445-455 quality laser safety glasses.

Note: Get the light blue ones to block some of your orange spot when used with your normal 445-445nm attenuating laser safety glasses.
I'll definitely have a look into this, thanks!