Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Please Help with Sourcing

Deuce

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. Most of the posts on this site are geared toward higher end lasers, but I'm trying to manufacture a product that just needs a basic laser red dot with a slide switch that can turn on and stay on vice having to be pressed, and of course some power source. The product I'm making can clamp the laser pointer to it, so I'm flexible with exact size, though I would prefer a small and less powerful laser pointer for size, weight, and cost considerations.

I've found multiple low-cost options overseas, mostly marketed as pet toys, but of course none of them are registered with the FDA. I can't seem to find any legit options that aren't wildly expensive. The readily-available basic laser pointers that would work otherwise generally require you to push and hold the button, which doesn't work for me.

Finally, as an alternative, I can't find any companies that might be able to produce a custom laser pointer at a reasonable cost.

Anyone have any suggestions for sourcing either OEM lasers or custom production?

farbe2

Having the thing FDA registered costs big money. Thats why you cant find something registered and cheap.

However if its a commercial product not used by people familiar with the dangers of lasers, i would in no way use a cheap Chinese pointer.
These things are wildly underspeced and often produce way more power than is safe.

Encap

Any device you come up with that contains a laser as a component part is regulated by the FDA and mist comply with FDA rules and regulations or it is illegal to sell from within the USA to anyone within the USA.

See: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...rtant-information-laser-pointer-manufacturers

"Manufacturers of electronic radiation emitting products sold in the United States are responsible for compliance with the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), Chapter V, Subchapter C - Electronic Product Radiation Control.

Manufacturers of laser products are responsible for compliance with all applicable requirements of Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations (Subchapter J, Radiological Health) Parts 1000 through 1005:"

From: https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitt...nment-products/laser-products-and-instruments

Last edited:

Deuce

Just to clarify, I'm working with an FDA regulatory consultant, as I want my product to comply with all applicable regulations. They don't help with sourcing the actual laser, so I'm trying to lock in a laser that can be used or get one manufactured. Figured the two options were to find a suitable OEM laser to attach or have one made. For the latter, I see a myriad of devices with custom-made laser pointers, but I can't figure out who actually manufactures them. Thus, the two options (reasonably priced OEM or custom manufacturing) that I'm working on but struggling with getting good leads.

Encap

Have a look here: https://www.laserdiodesource.com/ over 10.000 lasers listed and all of the manufacturers as well.

You era beginning to find out that what you want does not exist for several reasons.
Nobody in USA, generally speaking, bothers to make laser pointers because it is a waste of time There is no cost effective way to compete wit low cost mass produced lasers that do not comply with FDA Laws, rules and regulations made in China and shipped illrgally onto the USA No money to be made in doing so..

99.9% of pointers are all made in China and do not comply with FDA rules and regulations and are basically outlaw sales and shipping of product protected by hiding/behind China.
You can see how many companies are on red list whose products are subject to being seized by US Customs on the updated FDA Import Alert 95-4 list . see: Import Alert 95-04 laser products subject to being stopped/seized by US Customs and disposed of.

You are probably going to have to make your own laser component or have it made by somebody who knows what they are doing.
Regardless, your device will be judged as a whole complete finished product by FDA not by component parts -- ask your "regulatory consultant"

LPF is a hobbyist web forum. not a manufacturing consultant we site so....good luck navigating the expensive and time consuming nightmare of doing what you want to do in the USA. Will cost more in $s and time than you imagine.

There are a couple of companies that offer FDA compliant lasers pointers in USA---maybe thay can help you >>>here is one see: https://www.z-bolt.com/guides/

Last edited:

Eidetical

I think you're looking for a "laser module", not a "laser pointer". The link below is a typical supplier I have no experience with, but shows OEM lasers like you describe. Wire in your own switch.

loreadarkshade

I run the jlasers.org laser company, I can make a 5mW laser of any color using my lovely small stainless steel C3 host.
Has a tail clicky toggle so you don't have to hold down the button.

I made a 5mW green for a customer who wanted to do astronomy with his kids and didn't want to use goggles and he loves it!

Here is an actual picture with smoke in the room of that 5mW:

520 5mw.jpg