Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pioneer 12X blu-ray burner (BDR-205 )

Ivan

What powers do you think these could be set at (estimate)?

I'd be more worried about forward voltage as we have very few drivers available that can handle much over 6v-6.5v.

daguin

Not a problem, a driver can be built, and I think the flexdrives can get to 12v.

The restriction that drlava expressed was ~6V @ 300mA.

It can go higher in voltage, but cannot do so with enough current to drive the diodes.

We are pushing it a bit now, but HEY! -- that's what we do

And why we burn things out

Peace,
dave

I have yet to find any problems with the good old DDL driver. And for testing on a new diode, what better driver to use than one we all know specs on? Driver requirements should be tested using the DDL.

Yeah, nothing wrong with a DDL driver... IIRC the LM317T can give 35v at 1500mA.. I hope to see the day when I have a laser I can't power with a DDL driver.

IgorT

The restriction that drlava expressed was ~6V @ 300mA.

It can go higher in voltage, but cannot do so with enough current to drive the diodes.

The official range of the chip used ends at 5.5V with Absolute Maximum Ratings of 6V output...

It can go higher in current, but not with enough voltage to drive diodes with really high Vfs (the other way around).

However, i think that every time we will find a new higher rated diode, it's Vf will remain in the usual range, altho at much higher currents. Unless of course we do actually push it WAY too high..

IgorT

What powers do you think these could be set at (estimate)?

It all depends on HOW LONG you want them to be set there...

I'm sure they can be set to 5W for a microsecond. Maybe even a few.. :whistle:

Trevor

You've got a larger laser budget than I do!

Peace,
dave

I wish that were true - but I am, alas, a college freshman. It's why I'm so excited about these 12X drives. Even the chance of a Class IV laser I can afford makes me really happy. :)

...but I still would like to see 5W of 405nm in my lifetime. :eek:

-Trevor

IgorT

If that were long enough to get an epic beamshot, that just might be worth it. :)

-Trevor

If you can get a beamshot in a microsecond (or a few), it will be worth it, just to see this miracle! :evil:

Diodes die from their own optical output, and if you pump one with an extreme current (such as occur at "cap-zapping" or drivers with spikes or simply setting them to a bizzare level), you can turn the laser ON and see.... Nothing.. Except a dim blob or not even that if you really exaggerate!

In reality, the diode DID light up for a very short time (and brightly too) - just enough to burn it's own facets to a crisp, but for you it's as if nothing happened, other than a diode going LED...

Last edited:

Trevor

If you can get a beamshot in a microsecond (or a few), it will be worth it, just to see this miracle! :evil:

Well... if one of us just happened to have one of the 20+ million fps CCD high-speed cameras, we could theoretically do that.

I feel like if I had one, all I would do is kill diodes trying to get epic beamshots. :evil:

-Trevor

Ya know, fog can make a beam about 100X as visible, why not make that epic shot with a laser that would still work afterwords? The yellow in these shots is well under 10 mW, while the green is >110 mW in the first pic. 25 in the second.
14-foggy-night-beams-002.jpg
530-light-sabers.jpg