Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PGL-III-C 473 50mW died...

I have, but no response yet...

I haven't heard of anyone else having to do this with a CNI purchase...

So far I'm around $1050 all in for this laser.. If I lose it.... .... that's going to be a big deal.

It seems to me that this is something that CNI should have taken care of; the issue to me now is how difficult it is to communicate with CNI. (They will probably email me saying 'Wait a few days and see what happens'. I really hope not.)

I have a real sinking feeling that this is a sudden change, thanks to Wicked Lasers' antics, ruining this for all of us. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath that I'll be getting my PGL-III-C-473.

Has -anyone- dealt with this? RA - was yours delivered via DHL?

Best wishes for you in this situation, but I am pretty sure youll either get money back or your laser. One of my PGLs was sent via DHL, but they did not stop it... Odd

Thanks guys. This whole debacle is a helluva thing. Seems like historically, people have had no problems with repairs or shipments from CNI. As *usual*, I get selected to be the lucky winner. :\

Don'tLaseMeBro - you said you had some trouble with CNI. What went on there?

I posted this in my review thread in response but I'll post it here, too, so it all stays organized.

Mine was sent FedEx with no problems.
I was billed for Customs "Duty and Tax" but that's about it.

My total for my PGL-473 was something like $780 (laser) + $175 (return shipping) + $20 (customs charges) = $975. Which is not a bad deal considering what I got.

I hope it works out for you, aryntha.

Thanks guys. This whole debacle is a helluva thing. Seems like historically, people have had no problems with repairs or shipments from CNI. As *usual*, I get selected to be the lucky winner. :\

Don'tLaseMeBro - you said you had some trouble with CNI. What went on there?

Uhh, a ton of stuff... Me and another user got PGL-III-C 300mWs in GLenns GB and both got defective units, not once, twice, three times, four times but FIVE times... He gave up on 4 I gave up on 5... It was horrid, but Glenn was VERY good and helped us both through the process :D

Yeah, Glenn's unfortunately telling me right now there's a possibility that CNI could say "Well, we shipped it, we did our part" - and that's it..

Really hope thats not the case.. hope CNI responds tonight with a solution..

Yeah, Glenn's unfortunately telling me right now there's a possibility that CNI could say "Well, we shipped it, we did our part" - and that's it..

Really hope thats not the case.. hope CNI responds tonight with a solution..

Me too man, Im sorry that its not working out atm, things will work in the end though :)

Me too man, Im sorry that its not working out atm, things will work in the end though :)

I'm not so sure. This is starting to look (slightly) like Yobresal's situation with his 5mW imports. Which took months to resolve and did not end happy.

Apparently, DHL is being "proactive" here, and it actually hasn't even hit customs yet but for some reason DHL is demanding this form... Which, I suppose, according to LASERFAQ's stuff, I should have filled out ahead of time to be legal; but this is something I sent to CNI for repair... And they do claim they have accession #'s but we'll see in a few hours when CNI opens if this is the case at all.

EDIT (8/05): Ava tells me she's sending me the 2877 form, filled out. We'll see how that goes.

The only other issue is - it seems tht DHL has two digits of my address transposed now, too. :yabbamad: If this works out, it'll be a freaking miracle. Nobody let my 'laser luck' rub off on you guys, OK.

UPDATE #2 (8/06): Ava (CNI) got me the 2877 form, with accession number; and I've forwarded it on to DHL. Hopefully this'll be the last of it.

UPDATE #3 (8/07): ...

8/7/2010 1:37 am Processed at DHL Location. Cincinnati Hub, OH
12:33 am Clearance processing complete Cincinnati Hub, OH
8/6/2010 5:06 am Clearance Delay Cincinnati Hub, OH
3:35 am Processing for clearance Cincinnati Hub, OH

..... please arrive. Please work when you arrive.

Last edited:
STEP 3: PROFIT.

new-473.jpg

Amazing. It made it. About one month turnaround, almost to the day, from ship-off to delivery.

Here's the kicker though. The Form #2877 was in the (never opened) documentation pouch for the package the entire time. So, either DHL or Customs just didn't bother, or felt it neccessary to run me through the wringer on this, unneccessarily. CNI had the right docs the entire time.

But, I'm not too upset, because I at least got an education in accession #'s, FDA-legal importing, and how to fill out the paperwork to do it. I feel much more comfortable importing lasers now, and can likely advise others on LPF how to do it in the future.

I think it also shows a good example for anyone else who has a CNI laser fail -- sometimes their communication isn't the best, but they are on the up-and-up, and will usually come through.

I want to thank Glenn/scopeguy20, Yobresal, LSRFAQ/Steve, RA_Pierce, Prototype, Don'tLaseMeBro, and bootleg2go/Jack for their help and guidance through this debacle. Reps around (to those who I can - the others, I'll remember for when I can), reps deserved for real assistance here.

Now, the laser.

I haven't metered it yet, but it being a PGL-III-C-473 80mW vs the 50mW I had before, the brightness is.. MUCH brighter. By far. I have already lit a match with it - something I couldn't do with my previous 50mW. And another thing: The divergence is unreal. At 20ft, the dot is still less than a centimeter. This is also FAR better than my previous unit. Some of these 473s just have AMAZING divergence.

I'll get a full review on this one, once I bring it down to the university to meter it.

Everyone, thanks, and, if anyone else runs into this kind of trouble I'd love to be able to help via this experience.

Last edited:
Wow. Looks great!
I'll be looking forward to seeing some power tests.

You've got to get a meter, aryntha! With a collection like yours, it's the only thing you're missing!

Wow. Looks great!
I'll be looking forward to seeing some power tests.

You've got to get a meter, aryntha! With a collection like yours, it's the only thing you're missing!

You're absolutely right. I'm trying to wait for the opportunity to go full bore on a Kenometer Pro, but I"m thinking I may want to get something smaller and sooner so I can do my metering at home without having to drive to Boulder every time.

I've got this nagging feeling my PGL 532 (that Glenn metered at 690mW) isn't doing that, recently; but thats in visual tests comparing to a ~200mW -- though I know "visual comparison" really isn't reliable at all. (Then again, it could be that the 200mW is actually overspec - it is a CNI..)

It'd help me a lot in doing my reviews and all, too.

I can say though, I'm pretty relieved today; I feel more "complete" :)

Cool, too bad I could not help you :whistle:

No, no, sorry, just hard to remember everyone who helped out! Really, the fact that everyone jumps in to assist, I have a hard time remembering everyone who did - so, you did as well, and it'll reflect! Thanks :)

@ aryntha, I don't know if it's still there or not or what condition it's in, but in the B,S, & T Section, there was a SCIENTECH LPM for sale for only $40.00. You may want to check it out, IF it's still there.......................

@ aryntha, I don't know if it's still there or not or what condition it's in, but in the B,S, & T Section, there was a SCIENTECH LPM for sale for only $40.00. You may want to check it out, IF it's still there.......................

Phoenix,

Yeah, looks like that's gone (if it was the eBay one) but, thanks for pointing it out anyhow. Really do need to make a meter a priority at this point.