Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

Well thats a bummer, I hope they have a decent shelf life in the pointer

Multiple sellers now have the 591nm and 561nm pointers, I'm guessing they recently flooded the market over there in China, good news for us hobbyists

Sowee7

Multiple sellers now have the 591nm and 561nm pointers, I'm guessing they recently flooded the market over there in China, good news for us hobbyists
I wonder what crystal they are using for 591nm, I just bought one, does anyone know who produces the modules in these?

If they are the same architecture as the 532's ( dpss without a need for summing ) then I expect they will be the same price as the 532's in time, I only hope they have overcome the hygroscopic issue.

Half a watt in a nice Gaussian beam sounds good...... could be a small renaissance for dpss modules, I just hope they set the lenses up for a tight dot in the far field and not match lighting on a desk top.

-------------------

Dam, I'm probably going to give in and buy one of these, even though I know they will be way less expensive in a couple of months.
Anyone finding any good deals anywhere ?

Sowee7

If they are the same architecture as the 532's ( dpss without a need for summing ) then I expect they will be the same price as the 532's in time, I only hope they have overcome the hygroscopic issue.

Half a watt in a nice Gaussian beam sounds good...... could be a small renaissance for dpss modules, I just hope they set the lenses up for a tight dot in the far field and not match lighting on a desk top.

-------------------

Dam, I'm probably going to give in and buy one of these, even though I know they will be way less expensive in a couple of months.
Anyone finding any good deals anywhere ?

Or these could just become unavailable like those 574nm lasence/optlaser modules

Or these could just become unavailable like those 574nm lasence/optlaser modules
That's what they want you to think, it's why Existotem and Newgazer keep putting them out 5 at a time, so you will panic and pay...... but then again they could be a limited batch....... my question is have they solved the hygroscopic issue or just produced a batch knowing they will have a limited shelf life ?

I made a couple of offers to buy multiple units, but no bite yet, I really don't want to have an offer accepted just to get the runt of the litter, but I could pay full price and still get something that's really 5mw, I am expecting 20-50mw, it will be interesting to see what people get and if I get one I will also report it's output, beam characteristics, ect...

That's what they want you to think, it's why Existotem and Newgazer keep putting them out 5 at a time, so you will panic and pay...... but then again they could be a limited batch....... my question is have they solved the hygroscopic issue or just produced a batch knowing they will have a limited shelf life ?

I made a couple of offers to buy multiple units, but no bite yet, I really don't want to have an offer accepted just to get the runt of the litter, but I could pay full price and still get something that's really 5mw, I am expecting 20-50mw, it will be interesting to see what people get and if I get one I will also report it's output, beam characteristics, ect...
I ordered 5 and they told me it would take a few days for their engineer to assemble them before they could ship.

my question is have they solved the hygroscopic issue or just produced a batch knowing they will have a limited shelf life ?

When mine arrives I plan to pull the module out of the pen host to seal up the module the best I can with some silicone before re-homing it into a chrome pen host. It could turn out to be a fruitless endeavor but it could be better then nothing and id really like it to match my other pen lasers.

Same seller has 2 different pics of the 591nm, same wording ( 591nm Golden Yellow ) just a different body style, I expect some of these may be more orange than yellow..... nowhere near what a good yellow in the 577nm range is.

Looking at the 2 different pics of the same 591 I can only assume these have a wide range of variation, but my biggest concern is longevity, if someone who's likely another hobbyist is having these made, then it's unlikely the hygroscopic issue has been fixed...... time will tell. Yes a Chinese ebayer also has them, why make them and not sell some yourself..... I would expect sellers at Ali-Express and many others would have them but I haven't seen that yet.... only competition will drive the prices down but if longevity is still an issue then we likely won't see that..... any thoughts ?

edit: You know if someone had these made and then tested them for output and wavelength( which I'm sure they do ) and then listed what was available along with a reasonable price, say 59.00 - 159.00 depending on the output and wavelength, then I would likely buy more than one, but paying the higher price and taking a shot in the dark...... just rubs me the wrong way, it's like pay this and maybe buy a runt or if lucky one from the middle of the batch, but you know dam well the freaks and the creme of the crop have already been cherry picked and held for self and pals, maybe some will be sold later as a premium high grade..... I don't feelgood about paying a buck and a half for a unknown advertised as 5mw that may not even last. That said I offered a fair price for multiple pieces then 85.00 and got a counter for 135.00 each, I think I will wait, besides my RGB makes a dam nice range of yellow beams and at way more than 5mw.

This is almost red.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Now compared to the 561nm that has a lot of green.
s-l500.jpg

images

Last edited:

Sowee7

Same seller has 2 different pics of the 591nm, same wording ( 591nm Golden Yellow ) just a different body style, I expect some of these may be more orange than yellow..... nowhere near what a good yellow in the 577nm range is.

Looking at the 2 different pics of the same 591 I can only assume these have a wide range of variation, but my biggest concern is longevity, if someone who's likely another hobbyist is having these made, then it's unlikely the hygroscopic issue has been fixed...... time will tell. Yes a Chinese ebayer also has them, why make them and not sell some yourself..... I would expect sellers at Ali-Express and many others would have them but I haven't seen that yet.... only competition will drive the prices down but if longevity is still an issue then we likely won't see that..... any thoughts ?

edit: You know if someone had these made and then tested them for output and wavelength( which I'm sure they do ) and then listed what was available along with a reasonable price, say 59.00 - 159.00 depending on the output and wavelength, then I would likely buy more than one, but paying the higher price and taking a shot in the dark...... just rubs me the wrong way, it's like pay this and maybe buy a runt or if lucky one from the middle of the batch, but you know dam well the freaks and the creme of the crop have already been cherry picked and held for self and pals, maybe some will be sold later as a premium high grade..... I don't feelgood about paying a buck and a half for a unknown advertised as 5mw that may not even last. That said I offered a fair price for multiple pieces then 85.00 and got a counter for 135.00 each, I think I will wait, besides my RGB makes a dam nice range of yellow beams and at way more than 5mw.

This is almost red.
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Now compared to the 561nm that has a lot of green.
s-l500.jpg

images
Lasence 561nm, 555nm and 545nm modules don't really degrade unlike the older 57Xnm ones so they might have solved the hygroscopic issue or they could be using a different crystal. O have not heard of any company that uses SFD crystals to make 591 so it is quite possible that this is some new crystal. Has anyone confirmed the pump diode in these modules to be 808nm?

does anyone notice the thickness of a device?

as far as i recall majority of the compact yellows where thicker than this pen in question that uses 2xAAA..

Sowee7

does anyone notice the thickness of a device?

as far as i recall majority of the compact yellows where thicker than this pen in question that uses 2xAAA..
This laser doesn't seem to use the same modules as the older CNI GLP pens