Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please sub

Re: PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please

I suspect that they have, indeed, added some glue or other substance to keep it from unscrewing there. Once the focus/lens assy. is removed, there is no slot or other way of holding that end secure while trying to unscrew the bottom, which also has nothing to hold onto after the tail cap is removed. It will be a difficult task trying to get this apart without marring the aluminum finish. I wish there were a way to pull the brass heat sink which the diode is pressed in, but it can't be grasped as there is only the smooth surface. What a bummer. I had to repair a defective switch and now can see no way into the driver.

Re: PERMANENT THREAD: Ebay& other internet FINDS of interest- read all the OP please

I just ordered one myself and don't have that exact housing, my drawing is how other twist ring focus units I have are built, these may be different or have another threaded joint.

When you get it, and if it is glued together like mine, if you manage to get to the driver without causing defects to the aluminum surface, I'd be interested in how you did it. So far, mine is glued together too well to get it apart.

I just won mine when I posted about it so I won't have it for weeks.

Is yours like the pic?

56557d1499199054-permanent-thread-ebay-other-internet-finds-interest-read-all-op-please-sub-ring.jpg

Attachments

• ring.JPG
    ring.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

diachi

I just won mine when I posted about it so I won't have it for weeks.

Is yours like the pic?

56557d1499199054-permanent-thread-ebay-other-internet-finds-interest-read-all-op-please-sub-ring.jpg

Green arrow, yes, it has focus adjust. Not sure exactly where the "seam" is off the top of my head. Might not be right there but that looks right.

Orange arrow, yes, it unscrews there.

Mine is exactly like the photo. The focus ring houses a multi-element lens and the seam is where I assumed it would unscrew, but won't. Mine showed up with an open switch assy. Had to repair it myself. That or send it back for $17.00 refund. I sure wish they hadn't added the glue as it would have been easily added if someone wants it there.

Edit: I tried to heat the seam with the hot air from my reflow station set at 350 C and highest air flow I could get, but it didn't soften the glue at all. It was getting very warm at the ends of the host.

Last edited:

Have you unscrewed the end and taken out the lens, carrier, and adj. ring ?

56558d1499205464-permanent-thread-ebay-other-internet-finds-interest-read-all-op-please-sub-asdf.jpg

Attachments

• asdf.JPG
    asdf.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Yes, the focus assy just uscrews and comes completely off. The lens is glued into it, even though it is threaded and really didn't seem to need to be glued in. After removing it, there is little left to remove once the tail cap and batteries are taken out. The seam in the middle is where in needs to come apart, but it is really glued together well. I was hoping it would loosen with heat, but either it won't or it needs more than I gave it. The inside of the battery compartment is glued around the inside diameter to keep the batteries from rattling, I assume. The spring is also glued in place as well.

Bench Vice it while it's wrapped in something softer like leather or rubber. Then you should he able to twist it off.. still no then pliers with the same soft material while it's still viced.

Last edited:

The aluminum tube this laser is made from is not very thick. It can't take a lot of pressure without deforming. Somebody here admitted that they suggested the two pieces be glued together when he received his and was able to access the driver quite easily. Now, I have this to contend with. I did try to apply heat to the seam with my reflow station heat gun set at 350 C and the air flow at max. It didn't help.

Oops. If I had known that these would be able to be adjusted I wouldn't have made that suggestion to them. :crackup: I suggested it as for my unit, the center section came apart while trying to unscrew the tailcap and still does.
If only I had some proper tools, I could get a reference point where anyone with a drill press could CAREFULLY drill into the side to access the potentiometer. It would have to be in reference to the orientation of the diode though to be able to get even that.

@ the other place I read this:

"
username Karlkar

• (^^ that may be the username of the passed owner of this gear- guy helping is Zak-- 1 st item pics are up now==it is a 1W 532 lab ==looking a lot like a Vashio.
  • he afaik has no prices listed ..maybe an offer should made.. afaik no LPM - stuff is located in Findlay Ohio--the guy could sure use some honest help.... and don't think I have not wondered where my gear would end up if I pass w/o a plan. He is getting posts from some of the best over there & I steered him towards Sam's)

Zak's OP

Due to an unfortunate death in the family we have recently came into possession of quite a bit of lasers, parts and PSUs.

We know a lot of this gear is valuable and niche and therefore we didn't trust "eBay resellers" not to lose a ton of money selling stuff they don't have knowledge to describe. I have volunteered to learn about lasers enough to be able to identify what PSU goes with what lasers and maybe even get them working and tested.

The goal is to eventually sell everything.

Lasers include He-Ne, CO2(up to 60W), Nd:YAG, ruby, medical Er, tons of solid state stuff. I'm sure there are other types that I don't even know about. Lots of flash tubes, pulse controllers, lenses, etc.
Non laser gear includes HID spotlights, LED flashlights, high voltage parts, UV bulbs and lights.

https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52509&d=1498931032

Last edited:

Oops. If I had known that these would be able to be adjusted I wouldn't have made that suggestion to them. :crackup: I suggested it as for my unit, the center section came apart while trying to unscrew the tailcap and still does.
If only I had some proper tools, I could get a reference point where anyone with a drill press could CAREFULLY drill into the side to access the potentiometer. It would have to be in reference to the orientation of the diode though to be able to get even that.

You could always glue it shut, just like it is done now. I doubt the driver on these are set in a way that is the same on every one of these. So, drilling a hole over the pot would be like winning the lottery.

The driver is wedged between the pins of the diode oriented perfectly with them and therefore with the internals of the diode such as the facet.
About to create a thread to link here to avoid cluttering the internet finds thread any more.

Here is the thread I just created.
Even though it seems possible, I would highly advise against doing so due to risk of damaging the unit.

pics of 1W 532 FS

Attachments

• IMG_20170706_204827 inherited gear in ohio.jpg
    IMG_20170706_204827 inherited gear in ohio.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20170706_204842  dpss 532 1watt head.jpg
    IMG_20170706_204842 dpss 532 1watt head.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 22

diachi

pics of 1W 532 FS

That's a Viasho system. They're pretty nice, have worked with a bunch of them.

Checked the thread - looks like there's lots of stuff. Waiting for more details.