Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Optotronics RPL-375 review

Hi Milos. Thanks for your review. You know who is the real manufacturer of this laser? I'm beginner in the laser-world, so i'm very doubtful: there are many Chinese manufacturers with similar product and sellers on eBay, so the confusion for me is big!!!

I like go with Optotronics seller (possible RPL-350) but at the moment is to much expensive in this range for my taste: there are 350mW DragonLaser Hulk Ultra under 1000$ (with free safety glassesand), TechLasers Crossfire 350mW Pack at 900$ (with free safety glassesand, free 5 optics set, free Infiniti 15mW, etc). And on eBay...

Optotronics RPL 350 +Safety Glasses +Certificate = $ 1405 :eek: WOW!!! 56% more priced that Hulk Ultra

0.1 mRad difference... (There are a review here of Hulk Ultra)

Now, my actual position is standby, i will wait for better informations about quality of other product or for sale discount or substance reduction of Optotronics prices (i like so much Jack style... But price for me is important)

So, at the moment i like to surf in the real manufacturer site of RPL-350 for pleasure of my eye (and for know what is really my possible laser candidate: i don't want purchase something priced 1000 or more dollars without know his real-origin, is no serious...). Can you help me?

Best regards and congratulations for your wonderful RPL-375

Milos

HI Paolo60,
This RPL from Optotronics is made by Viasho company. They make basically 2 kinds. High powered ones such as this one are sold with higher powered IR diode inside (2.5W) which also has 80,000 hours lifetime expectancy. Those are exclusively supplied to Optotronics. Other models have cheaper IR diode(1.5W i think) with 5000 hours of life and are sold to other reselers. Difference is that it will be a bit more stable and longer lasting at high powers with 2.5W diode. It can also be pushed further and thats why you can see 450+mW comming out of this rpl on regular basis without problems. And its still kicking great today !!!
Also, because of high reliability and life of this 2.5W diode, Jack offers longest warranty deal.

I believe there are more same or similar looking "secret" manufacturers that supply resellers with much cheaper same looking model, but I have no details on it. They have 1.5W or even 1W IR diode inside.

You mentioned Dragon Lasers Hulk series. This is not RPL design at all. Different proportions, different shutter, battery, heat sink. They are called "PGL" design made (hopefully)by CNI manufacturer.

My advice to you is to talk to Jack directly about your budget and needs, and he will try to take care of you.

Milos, you are very dear... thank you.

The problem is that in Viasho site i find only one portable laser Model: VBP-I/II/III-532 (532nm-Portable Laser-1~250mW). I think that this isn't the Optotronic RPL... As you said this is the model sold from other reselers... (i find one of these in eBay too, but with 361.9 mW on WLP-2000 Viasho tester  :cool:). So 2.5 Watt model are exclusively supplied to Optotronics... Ok!

About 2.5 vs. 1.2 Watt pump diode: i know the problem, i have read so much around internet and especially in this excellent forum (big thanks at the boss). Example, i remember now the S-KY 200mW question (with 2W vs. 1.2W possible pump diode):

"S-KY has stated that this unit has a 2W pump diode, however the threshold and operating current make me question that."

I write in another post in this forum: "I find this model and his specification on the productor site... I'm very surprise: this is the first time that i see same product on sale-site and same product on productor-site, and last: the name is same!!! I admire this... Other portable laser with BIG NAME (in reality only fantasy name of the seller...) you not know who is the real productor and official specification... Surfing in the web i find many china industry that product identical object and all is very confuse..."

On S-KY 200mW i write too: ...WOW !!!  :eek: The specification are very very fine:

- Beam divergense, full angle (mrad)  < 1.0
- Beam diameter at aperture < 1.2

etc.. etc... Seem be a very good portable laser for the price!!! (but only 200/250 nominal mW)

Ok, on the paper S-KY 200mW is very good at under 350$ (1.2 vs. 2W is not important, because official 200mW output is really true and easy to obtain with 1-1.2 watt pump diode with usual 15-20% efficiency). If really the diode of S-KY 200mW is 2W... so much the better, but not essential.

Ok, all is very interesting...

About Dragon Lasers Hulk Ultra 350mW... (one possible "economical" alternative candidate) I know that the real manufacturer is CNI-LASER. Some days ago i read the official specification and i find that are different from that in the seller site. I write this in other post:

CNI-LASER official specification of PGL-III-C (alias DragonLaser Hulk Ultra):

- Beam divergence, full angle (mrad) < 1.5
- Transverse mode = TEM00

Now the question: because DragonLaser write otherwise:

- Beam divergence, full angle (mrad) < 1.2
- Transverse Mode  = Near TEMoo

Is the same product ???? Boh... Someone has the answer? Thanks...

Ahahahahah... All is very confuse... interesting... I'm a technical man, beginner in the laser-world, but not stupid... In my life i find only another sector so confuse: top Hi-FI  :p (i'm audiophile)

Ok, for the moment stop... Next i have another question about "Jack style" and technical questions of your excellent RPL that i like debate with you (object of this thread), if possible...

Razako

Paolo60 said:
Milos, you are very dear... thank you.

The problem is that in Viasho site i find only one portable laser Model: VBP-I/II/III-532 (532nm-Portable Laser-1~250mW). I think that this isn't the Optotronic RPL... As you said this is the model sold from other reselers... (i find one of these in eBay too, but with 361.9 mW on WLP-2000 Viasho tester :cool:). So 2.5 Watt model are exclusively supplied to Optotronics... Ok!

About 2.5 vs. 1.2 Watt pump diode: i know the problem, i have read so much around internet and especially in this excellent forum (big thanks at the boss). Example, i remember now the S-KY 200mW question (with 2W vs. 1.2W possible pump diode):

"S-KY has stated that this unit has a 2W pump diode, however the threshold and operating current make me question that."

I write in another post in this forum: "I find this model and his specification on the productor site... I'm very surprise: this is the first time that i see same product on sale-site and same product on productor-site, and last: the name is same!!! I admire this... Other portable laser with BIG NAME (in reality only fantasy name of the seller...) you not know who is the real productor and official specification... Surfing in the web i find many china industry that product identical object and all is very confuse..."

On S-KY 200mW i write too: ...WOW !!! :eek: The specification are very very fine:

- Beam divergense, full angle (mrad) < 1.0
- Beam diameter at aperture < 1.2

etc.. etc... Seem be a very good portable laser for the price!!! (but only 200/250 nominal mW)

Ok, on the paper S-KY 200mW is very good at under 350$ (1.2 vs. 2W is not important, because official 200mW output is really true and easy to obtain with 1-1.2 watt pump diode with usual 15-20% efficiency). If really the diode of S-KY 200mW is 2W... so much the better, but not essential.

Ok, all is very interesting...

About Dragon Lasers Hulk Ultra 350mW... (one possible "economical" alternative candidate) I know that the real manufacturer is CNI-LASER. Some days ago i read the official specification and i find that are different from that in the seller site. I write this in other post:

CNI-LASER official specification of PGL-III-C (alias DragonLaser Hulk Ultra):

- Beam divergence, full angle (mrad) < 1.5
- Transverse mode = TEM00

Now the question: because DragonLaser write otherwise:

- Beam divergence, full angle (mrad) < 1.2
- Transverse Mode = Near TEMoo

Is the same product ???? Boh... Someone has the answer? Thanks...

Ahahahahah... All is very confuse... interesting... I'm a technical man, beginner in the laser-world, but not stupid... In my life i find only another sector so confuse: top Hi-FI :p (i'm audiophile)

Ok, for the moment stop... Next i have another question about "Jack style" and technical questions of your excellent RPL that i like debate with you (object of this thread), if possible...
A good thing to keep in mind when buying lasers is that you get what you pay for most of the time. The exception to this rule is Wicked Lasers. Most of their lasers are overpriced AND underspec.

Hi Razako,

really you think that is true "you get what you pay"? Mmmm... Beautiful words... But words that same time are money for some person. My esperience is different: the quality is especially the real manufacturer quality (the product quality), sellers are only second step (important too).

Is possible that in laser-market there are question of production tollerance (particularly in diode pump and optics), and one good seller give you an selection of product? Maybe...

Ok, that is fine... Reasonable extra price of 10-15% ok?...

But here i see different thing...

80,000 hours lifetime expectancy...

Wow!!! But if i think... this isn't very important, for the reason that with duty cycle of 5 minutes on and 2 off (as reported by Jack) i need about 38 year full use 7/7 day on week and 8 hour for day (5.7 hours effective because of duty cycle): ridiculous !!! I have to push the on-button about 68 x2 times for day (2 because on & off). :p

Now i tray with 5000 hours lifetime expectancy and more reasonable use, even if however exaggerated: 2 hour for day and 5 day for weak, 10 month for year (may be physics laboratory use). Result 16 year. If MTTF is 8000 hours you have 25 year.

So... Is evident that the lifetime expectancy for normal use isn't a real question and must be irrilevant for the prices on portable laser as this.

About beam divergence... Jack write: <1.00mrad - typically <0.92mrad Well, i like <0.92 (most important that ridiculous lifetime expectancy) and i like more to see in certification sample image in Jack site: Divergence 0.752 mrad. Wow!!!

0.752 Divergence for my taste is more important that 20~30 mW more then specific. Because we can't see this excellent value (or at least < 0.92mrad "typically") in real sample as your?...

Is possible that manufacturing tollerance allow 1 sample on 1000 to have this excellent value? Mmmm... i don'know... maybe. Perhaps the question is: < 0.92mrad is for 4/5 of the sample of Optotronics? And 1/5 is from 0.92 to 0.99...

If this is true, because you sample is about 1.1mRad?

Ok, i hope that divergence for you isn't a problem (is subjective), perhaps for you is more important real power, and in your RPL 375 you have a lot of. Well... customer satisfaction is important.

Paolo60 said:
80,000 hours lifetime expectancy...

Wow!!! But if i think... this isn't very important, for the reason that with duty cycle of 5 minutes on and 2 off (as reported by Jack) i need about 38 year full use 7/7 day on week and 8 hour for day (5.7 hours effective because of duty cycle): ridiculous !!! I have to push the on-button about 68 x2 times for day (2 because on & off). :p

Now i tray with 5000 hours lifetime expectancy and more reasonable use, even if however exaggerated: 2 hour for day and 5 day for weak, 10 month for year (may be physics laboratory use). Result 16 year. If MTTF is 8000 hours you have 25 year.

So... Is evident that the lifetime expectancy for normal use isn't a real question and must be irrilevant for the prices on portable laser as this.

About beam divergence... Jack write: <1.00mrad - typically <0.92mrad Well, i like <0.92 (most important that ridiculous lifetime expectancy) and i like more to see in certification sample image in Jack site: Divergence 0.752 mrad. Wow!!!

0.752 Divergence for my taste is more important that 20~30 mW more then specific. Because we can't see this excellent value (or at least < 0.92mrad "typically") in real sample as your?...

Is possible that manufacturing tollerance allow 1 sample on 1000 to have this excellent value? Mmmm... i don'know... maybe. Perhaps the question is: < 0.92mrad is for 4/5 of the sample of Optotronics? And 1/5 is from 0.92 to 0.99...

If this is true, because you sample is about 1.1mRad?

Ok, i hope that divergence for you isn't a problem (is subjective), perhaps for you is more important real power, and in your RPL 375 you have a lot of. Well... customer satisfaction is important.

If you are remotely attempting to disrespect Optotronics, then stop while you are ahead. Whatever the arguments you are trying to make, they are pointless. Obviously not every laser will be the same so he created an average of the divergence. You are trying to say that he is misinforming buyers? If someone is purchasing a 300+ mW laser, they should understand that divergence is not set number on every model. Then again, you're probably one of those guys that orders a rare hamburger, gets it medium-rare and bitches like there's no tomorrow.

Screw off.

Hi RobTheVIP,

i am very sorry for my bad english (very very bad, i'm italian, excuse me), so i can't understand exactly what mean yours last phrase. Look like a offensive phrase... Is this? If is this i suppose that you are angry for my precedent post, so i will explain you that i'm a beginner in laser-world (as i said before), then is not my purpose attempting to disrespect nobody (in particular Optotronics: for me at the moment they are number one in my personal research).

My interest is understand... I'm a seriousness person and very technical (my work and my hobbyes are so much technical...). Only i not yet know about technique laser and laser market (other that around i find many fraud and so poor clarity). I must learn because i will purchase a good laser (best of my gift unnomed laser). where's the harm in it?

If you still suspect about my integrity i can send you in private all my reference.

Ok, maybe that i like ask and think about something, but the only purpose is understand. Now, if you read again my last post you can see that is technical, numbers are numeers! I like reflect...

Now... If because of my bad english or my technical approch i disrespect Optotronics i apologize, it was not my intention.

About: If someone is purchasing a 300+ mW laser, they should understand that divergence is not set number on every model. What mean? Divergence is in function of power? Not the size of the diode?

every laser is differnt as you know some lasers will put out 301mw others 324mw the same is with how percises their beam is it can either have a divergence of .735mrad or .92mrad.... no lasers are the same and divergences depends on evey thing from the diode to the crystals to the optics so you can see their is a lot of variables that go into divergecne.... you sould have read more about optotronics before you starts to make remarks like that becas you will offend alot of their loyal customers becaus optotronics laserglow and nova are the 3 best companies you can buy from and evey body here will suport them.... i personlaly like nova compared to the other lasers i have used and bought becaus they are a great company for <175mw pointers whare as optotronics is good for >165mw pointers and lasers glow has evey thing from 3mw to about 400mw.

also optotronics will not ly about their specifications so that one laster that put out .72 is a real laser and prlby happens not that ofter or very often i dont kno but if they say their divergences is typicaly .92 then that means most will be .92 and if you want a special request e mail jack and tell him that you need a lower divergecn laser and he will hook you up.

Paolo60 said:
Hi RobTheVIP,

i am very sorry for my bad english (very very bad, i'm italian, excuse me), so i can't understand exactly what mean yours last phrase. Look like a offensive phrase... Is this? If is this i suppose that you are angry for my precedent post, so i will explain you that i'm a beginner in laser-world (as i said before), then is not my purpose attempting to disrespect nobody (in particular Optotronics: for me at the moment they are number one in my personal research).

My interest is understand... I'm a seriousness person and very technical (my work and my hobbyes are so much technical...). Only i not yet know about technique laser and laser market (other that around i find many fraud and so poor clarity). I must learn because i will purchase a good laser (best of my gift unnomed laser). where's the harm in it?

If you still suspect about my integrity i can send you in private all my reference.

Ok, maybe that i like ask and think about something, but the only purpose is understand. Now, if you read again my last post you can see that is technical, numbers are numeers! I like reflect...

Now... If because of my bad english or my technical approch i disrespect Optotronics i apologize, it was not my intention.

About: If someone is purchasing a 300+ mW laser, they should understand that divergence is not set number on every model. What mean? Divergence is in function of power? Not the size of the diode?

Ah sorry man, I must have misunderstood you. What I meant in the last sentence is this: Divergence will be different with EVERY laser - the number shown on Optotronics is an average for that laser model. Best of luck in the laser world - it's a great hobby, but so expensive :eek:

Thank you f22warzone and thank you RobTheVIP.

Milos are you there? About divergence on your RPL, you know is there is one point at maximum focus in the beam near hole of diode? Is the max focus at a few meters and then increase the diameter of beam or the diameter increase always?

Milos

No, this laser does not converge at any point. It only spreads out.

ixfd64

On the Optotronics site, the laser case seems pretty large. Do you think that it is possible to fit two or even three RPLs into one case? :D

Probably... but for that I'd go for a Pelican case.
http://www.pelican.com
Indestructible (virtually) with a lifetime guarantee... 'you break it, they replace it... forever'
If you have something worth protecting, put it in a pelican.
I wouldn't trust my lasers to anything else.