Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

NUBM44 6W+ 450nm Laser Diode

Yes, there is. It's called Fast Axis Correction or FAC. Lazeerer has done it once or twice but the alignment is very very difficult. Usually you have a very small cylindrical lens at the die, and a large, long focus length PCX lens after that.

Planters, when you say focus, do you mean infinity focus?

The problem with cropping the beam anywhere but a focus is that diffraction effects will deteriorate the beam quality.

I have not seen FAC lenses for this type of diode package, but I have for C-Mounts, the photo at this link clearly shows a FAC lens http://www.ebay.com/itm/808nm-8W-200-m-Aperture-C-Mount-Laser-Diode-with-FAC-lens-/261459684172.

Anyone know where to get these small lenses? I can find some much larger ones on ebay, but not these tiny ones except perhaps this one, it's much larger but maybe this isn't too big to fasten at the front of this diode somehow?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-Lens-...NIR-300-1550nm-Laser-diode-lens-/111702838558

Last edited:
Whats Up everyone!! new to the scene and i just ordered a NUBM44 with G-2 and a 5A driver from DTR along with a 2x26650 host from Ehgemus. This will be my first build ever and im EXITED!! what kind of output should a setup like this give me?

Pman

^Ummmm does anyone else feel very uncomfortable right now.....

DTR

^Ummmm does anyone else feel very uncomfortable right now.....

Do you mean more uncomfortable than if the diode was a 1W or even anything over the eye damage threshold? What different results of an accident from improper use would you expect to see with this unit over say a 500mW diode? I would love to hear any thoughts on this.;)

Last edited:
Do you mean more uncomfortable than if the diode was a 1W or even anything over the eye damage threshold? What different results of an accident from improper use would you expect to see with this unit over say a 500mW diode? I would love to hear any thoughts on this.;)

More like uncomfortable that a total newbie with potentially no knowledge of safety can get a 5W laser. Your reply seems a bit snarky man, no need for that- he was just expressing a logical distaste for the amount of power readily available- and fact of the matter is, 5W IS more dangerous than 1W. These diodes are great and we all thank you for the tests and info, but you must admit that a complete noob with no regard to safety can wave 7W's of collimated light around in a handheld is a scary thought!

Ummmm, Forget the blind dude with the laser- The dude with the scorched face, burned body , and a house that looks like charcoal is the new version of the mindless nube!!!!

Whats Up everyone!! new to the scene and i just ordered a NUBM44 with G-2 and a 5A driver from DTR along with a 2x26650 host from Ehgemus. This will be my first build ever and im EXITED!! what kind of output should a setup like this give me?
Sure you don't want to try a smaller build first. One slip up with a soldering iron or a shorted wire and your money goes poof!

DTR

Your reply seems a bit snarky man
The reply was not meant to be "snarky" but I can see how it may have sounded that way. I asked as I am actually very interested in hearing thoughts on this subject in relation with what powers are were available before now. I am thinking back to when the A130 came out and all the concern for the future of the hobby and we have moved quite far beyond that.

but you must admit that a complete noob with no regard to safety can wave 7W's of collimated light around in a handheld is a scary thought!

That has been a scary thought for me long before these diodes.

Last edited:

Benm

If you wanted the output converted from a line to something close to a square i suppose you could use a prism pair here as well. That solution has worked from the first multimode blues and there is no apparent reason it would not work here.

Downside is that it is a fairly bulky construction so it's not ideal for handhelds/pointers. But for a lab style setup i'd go with it really.

The reply was not meant to be "snarky" but I can see how it may have sounded that way. I asked as I am actually very interested in hearing thoughts on this subject in relation with what powers are were available before now. I am thinking back to when the A130 came out and all the concern for the future of the hobby and we have moved quite far beyond that.

That has been a scary thought for me long before these diodes.

This....is a very, very sobering topic !!! It is a great concern of mine !!! ....and likely to any of us who understand the forces we MUST be in control of !!!.....and what the current level of technology has given us !!!

Might I suggest a separate thread...in the general area...titled... The Future of the LP hobby

We have been at this intersection before....most of us have thoughts....likely none of us have any easy solutions !!! :scared::scared::scared:

let me worry about safety.. Pretty dick head statements made without even knowing who i am.. believe me i know safety and i understand the capabilities and repercussions of something this powerful. i do non destructive testing that require rope access for a living so with out safety my life is on the line... but i forget the noob is always wrong and a fool because they take interest in the same thing your interested in. Rock crawlers to 726 horse track car on pump gas... don't be too concerned about me.